• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels and city of Anaheim to start negotiations November 15th

19 minutes ago, Tank said:

for those of you who'd like a new stadium, why? what is our current stadium lacking that a new stadium would fulfill for you/us/the team?

I don't think the Angels "need" a new stadium, but weren't there some structural and plumbing issues? I am not an expert on those things, but I think for the cost I'd rather have a new stadium than spend money putting a band-aid on the current one.

Now as for wanting a new stadium:

1. The concourses are too narrow. This leads to several issues.

The food and drinking options are bad. Not all of it has to do with the vendors. I'd imagine the infrastructure of the stadium makes it difficult to change the food much.

It's tough to get around the stadium. During crowded games the food lines can back up pretty far. You have to walk between people in line to get from one point to another. You're going to get knocked around a bit carrying food back to your seat. 

2. The stadium is at best boring/nondescript and at worst lame. 

Not a reason to spend a billion dollars building a new one, but Angels stadium is at best boring. The only real distinguishing feature is the rock pile. Maybe some people love it, I'd imagine most people find it weird and corny. I think a new stadium could install a little pride in the fans, make them louder, and make the game day experience an actual experience and it could be more fun. 

It could incorporate more (any) Southern California elements. I'm not sure it's entirely possible because of the sun, but rotate the stadium 30-45 degrees toward the 3rd baseline so the CF opening is toward the mountains instead of the 57 freeway. 

The structural issues and the concourse issues are actual reasons to build a stadium. I don't think they are so overwhelmingly bad right now that a new stadium has to be built. I don't support public money for a stadium, but if Arte wants to spend his money the stadium experience could definitely be improved.

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

Seriously though. Does anyone know what kind of theme they'd use to make this an Orange County or Southern California specific stadium? 

The Dodgers went heavy on the palm trees, which is a good move, the Padres kept the Western Metal Supply building and the surrounding areas have a vibrant San Diego theme.

What could the Angels do to make this a unique visual experience? The whole rocks and water fall theme in CF is more California in general, it at least the places North of Southern California, and that worked while they were the California Angels. But they aren't representing an entire state anymore.

Maybe lush orange groves as a throwback to the area's history? Or maybe Arte is more interest on identifying as Los Angeles specific as the name would suggest, so palm trees like the Dodgers. Maybe some sort of beach theme?

I'd like to hear other ideas.

Instead of the rocks, install a surf machine in centerfield.

And orange trees.

And female ticket takers/vendors in bikinis.

EBBA618B-D62A-4D04-82B2-47C37F6BB3E9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tank said:

for those of you who'd like a new stadium, why? what is our current stadium lacking that a new stadium would fulfill for you/us/the team?

The list is long.  I've been to half of the current stadiums. Some of the newest.... some of the oldest.... some of the best... some of the worst.  The sight lines are not good... seats down the lines are not angled ideally for baseball.  The outfield seats are terrible... can't see parts of the field.  Terrace level seats are worse than they should be because of the overhang.  There aren't really any good places to stand and watch the game.   

Tim Mead told us for years that many of the problems are underlying.  Fans may not notice, especially if they attend one or two games a year.  The team probably wants a new stadium far more than fans do.  Concessions are affected.  Service is affected (in seat service on the club level is terrible if you are past the bases).  

I don't see them pouring the necessary $200-300 million into an aging stadium when they can spend that towards a new one at the same location.... and play in the old one without while it is built.

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

Angel Stadium is fine, but when I visit some of the newer stadiums, I get stadium envy.

To a point, same here. But I think its more because youre "visiting" a new stadium.

Again, my two cents, put a better product on the field, and build out the lot with bars. Id take that over the new marlins stadium.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:38 AM, Second Base said:

Works for me. But you need the right caliber females, and while OC has them, I'm guessing most aren't interested in being ticket vendors.

At Kings and Ducks games you have young girls showing flesh who clean the ice at stoppages and hang out with the fans in the lobbies. Kind of like school cheer squads.

Actually in a number of newer U.S.  southern hockey markets (Vegas, Carolina, Arizona, Dallas, etc.) this seems to be part of the marketing approach. Nothing like that in the original six cities and more established franchises. 

Not sure this approach (in any context)  would be approved by MLB, given tradition and family friendly marketing and fan base. 

Too bad. Preferable to the senior citizens in their straw hats, though nothing wrong with having that demographic represented in a less conspicuous way. 

Or maybe some skanky Real Wives of Orange County supplement their alimony with public appearances! 

Ocean/beach themes would be fine in a background way. Distinguish the locale from inner city L.A. Maybe murals, a kid water/sand play zone, volleyball and other modest recreational space around the parking lot.  And for the traditionalists, an Angel Hall of Fame type room or concourse display.

Too bad there isn't a captivated landscape view from the seats now. That's one thing Dodger Stadium has. Especially around sunset. A parking lot, highways and Honda Centre are not aesthetically appealing. But the current location offers little else. Until maybe some of the surrounding space adds more ambience with an entertainment and baseball themed neighborhood. 

Regardless if it's a reno or rebuild, if it's in the same general area, configure it as best as possible to factor in enough shade! I got a terrible sunburn at an afternoon game sitting along the first base side the first game I attended. And fix the plumbing and widen the concourse areas. 

Seating wise, remember Arte expects his three million. The economics could be made up with higher prices, but when the Angels contend, demand will increase accordingly. Maybe retractable seats that can be pulled into empty outfield/bleachers areas when needed if enough space is provided. 

Anyways, should be intriguing watching what comes next.

3 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

At Kings and Ducks games you have young girls showing flesh who clean the ice at stoppages and hang out with the fans in the lobbies. Kind of like school cheer squads.

Actually in a number of newer U.S.  southern hockey markets (Vegas, Carolina, Arizona, Dallas, etc.) this seems to be part of the marketing approach. Nothing like that in the original six cities and more established franchises. 

Not sure this approach (in any context)  would be approved by MLB, given tradition and family friendly marketing and fan base. 

Too bad. Preferable to the senior citizens in their straw hats, though nothing wrong with having that demographic represented in a less conspicuous way. 

Or maybe some skanky Real Wives of Orange County supplement their alimony with public appearances! 

Ocean/beach themes would be fine in a background way. Distinguish the locale from inner city L.A. Maybe murals, a kid water/sand play zone, volleyball and other modest recreational space around the parking lot.  And for the traditionalists, an Angel Hall of Fame type room or concourse display.

Too bad there isn't a captivated landscape view from the seats now. That's one thing Dodger Stadium has. Especially around sunset. A parking lot, highways and Honda Centre are not aesthetically appealing. But the current location offers little else. Until maybe some of the surrounding space adds more ambience with an entertainment and baseball themed neighborhood. 

Regardless if it's a reno or rebuild, if it's in the same general area, configure it as best as possible to factor in enough shade! I got a terrible sunburn at an afternoon game sitting along the first base side the first game I attended. And fix the plumbing and widen the concourse areas. 

Seating wise, remember Arte expects his three million. The economics could be made up with higher prices, but when the Angels contend, demand will increase accordingly. Maybe retractable seats that can be pulled into empty outfield/bleachers areas when needed if enough space is provided. 

Anyways, should be intriguing watching what comes next.

I think if they ended up building their new stadium in the parking lot, they can rotate the field away from the current view. Once it's done and they tear down the current stadium, they could put something aesthetic in there.

For Arte, I don't think it's so much about the stadium. I think he wants rights to the land in the surrounding areas.

Edited by Second Base

http://anaheim.net/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1616

“The talks were productive and encouraging,” said Mayor Harry Sidhu, the Anaheim City Council’s representative on the city’s negotiating team. “Both sides have spent much of 2019 preparing to sit down together, and that showed at this meeting. While we still have work ahead of us, this meeting was positive for baseball in Anaheim and for our residents.”