• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTradeRumors FA Predictions // Cole, Miley, and Castro

totdprods

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

We agree on Betances. 

You're using wins as a justification to spend on Bumgarner over Ryu, when everything else points to Ryu being the superior pitcher. Again, if it's innings you're looking for, just go get Teheran. He'll probably match Bumgarner's value at a fraction of the price.

The front office, scouts, coordinators, coaches etc.. all believe that Thaiss has a reasonable chance of turning into an everyday 3B/1B. What knowledge do you have that they don't? Do you think it might be a little early to write him off, after his very first taste of the majors at age 24? He's made the adjustments at every level, but this will be the level he won't be able to adjust to?  His power is finally there, the plate discipline is certainly there and he's turned a quality defensive 3B and 1B. I'd give it a couple more seasons before making any sort of final declaration on his abilities.

I just think you are overly sensitive due to your minor league reports and possible projections for the system.

I didnt like the Thaiss pick when it was done. I still don't like the Ward pick. I'm allowed my view. You can call them wrong. I can say based on my experience in the game and due to the changes from the position there is a lack of instincts and cerebral ability in both if you understand that?

Also, you want a ++ hitter that shows extra base, gap power and the ability to hit the ball out of the park. A reach of a catcher who is a line drive hitter to be moved to a power position is a reach and your attempt at saving face and hoping for the best (as an organization).

6 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I just think you are overly sensitive due to your minor league reports and possible projections for the system.

I didnt like the Thaiss pick when it was done. I still don't like the Ward pick. I'm allowed my view. You can call them wrong. I can say based on my experience in the game and due to the changes from the position there is a lack of instincts and cerebral ability in both if you understand that?

Also, you want a ++ hitter that shows extra base, gap power and the ability to hit the ball out of the park. A reach of a catcher who is a line drive hitter to be moved to a power position is a reach and your attempt at saving face and hoping for the best (as an organization).

You don't think Thaiss showed that in his first taste of MLB pitching? Over a full season of at bats, he was on pace for 32 HR and 28 2B.

And when someone starts off hot with 3 home runs on opening day projections says 162 HRS plus!

Projections are great! As long as they are tempered with experience. And knowledge of knowing that no one is going to hit 162 home runs in a season.

We always come back the JUAN Rivera projections.... if he played 160 games and had 600+ abs he would have hit 40+ bombs and 100 rbi with an avg of 300.

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

And when someone starts off hot with 3 home runs on opening day projections says 162 HRS plus!

Projections are great! As long as they are tempered with experience. And knowledge of knowing that no one is going to hit 162 home runs in a season.

come on wtf GIF

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

come on wtf GIF

You cant say he projects out to this or that!

Because the stats weren't put up. We deal with real world #'s.

You want to hop around and talk projections that's great! 

Thaiss isnt doing it. Bottomline, he wont have the abs to even remotely come close to your full season projection 

I always go back to the Juan Rivera projections! See above I edited it.

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

You cant say he projects out to this or that!

Because the stats weren't put up. We deal with real world #'s.

You want to hop around and talk projections that's great! 

Are you ok? Did you drink too much?

"You can't say he projects out to this or that!"

What the actual F*ck are you talking about? Remember when Trout came up and got the same amount of at bats Thaiss did and he actually was worse? Did you say the same thing then? Because I mean, the stats weren't put up! 

Facking hell. I'm developing an aneurysm.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

What the actual F*ck are you talking about? Remember when Trout came up and got the same amount of at bats Thaiss did and he actually was worse? Did you say the same thing then? Because I mean, the stats weren't put up! 

Then go lay down! You cant project shit! For anyone until they show a baseline.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:22 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

If the Angels are going to be better next year, it’s going to be a lot because....

-Ohtani returned and pitched to expectations

-Canning developed into the No 2-4 that he projected to be 

-Heaney pitched like 2018.

-One of Sandoval, Barría, Suarez, Peña proves to be at least a capable No 5 (4.40 ERA, 100+ IP)

The point is that you can’t expect all of your improvement to be based on players you acquire. It’s just not realistic to add 20 wins externally. If you add 10, that’s a huge winter. So, your hopes for next year need to bear in mind that the Angels are planning on internal improvement too. 

I personally think Canning is underrated. I think he has the upside of Aaron Nola. That's pretty damn good. Easily a 3. Some years, he'll be a 2.

33 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I personally think Canning is underrated. I think he has the upside of Aaron Nola. That's pretty damn good. Easily a 3. Some years, he'll be a 2.

Biggest concern about Canning right now, for me, is his health holding up. The talent is there, but until he rattles off a healthy season or two, I think the Angels should be proceeding with a bit of caution and expectation that banking on him for to hold a rotation spot with 30+ GS/180 IP is unrealistic. If they place that expectation on him in 2020 without a real contingency, they’re playing with fire. 

On 11/8/2019 at 12:43 PM, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I was fine with the Thaiss pick and would have been fine with Ward being selected at a much lower round.  To me, it appears that players are taking longer to adjust to the new analytic-based game at the major league level.  Fewer and fewer players seem able to sustain a "see the ball and hit the ball" approach.

I’m thinking they do something similar to what’s projected but I’m thinking D’Arnaud makes more sense than Castro and someone like Tehran or Gibson or Roark makes more sense than Miley.

But I’d also think they could do something drastic like trading for Francisco Lindor, or someone like that. Yes it would cost Rengifo, Marsh, Simmons, and more... but maybe it’s possible. 

Or get someone like Boyd or a Ray.

i think the angel fans on this board are probably going to be disappointed by the extent of the offseason overall. i don't think the angels are going to go as deep into FA as many think or wish, including myself.

if the angels sign cole, then i think they are out on the other top 4 FA pitchers. i think they also sign maldonado and either tehren, miley or roark. i believe that would be the extent of the "major" acquisitions, and i'm sure other than cole that would leave many here with a sunken chest.

if they don't sign cole, then i don't think they necessarily spend the same money, but i think that's a little more fluid and potentially more interesting if they do.

i read fletcher's post and i think i was picking up what he was putting down. perhaps not.

On 11/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, tdawg87 said:

I still think it's funny, when you have a differing opinion like the talking heads in here they resort to bashing and name calling!

People are allowed their opinions and they can either be backed up by statistical data or real world experience.

Not every minor leaguer will stay in the organization. Not every minor leaguer will have a long career. Not every minor leaguer will even get more than a sniff but a handful of AB's in SPT.

9 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I still think it's funny, when you have a differing opinion like the talking heads in here they resort to bashing and name calling!

That's just Stradling, most here aren't that way.