• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels to add Cubs’ Brian Butterfield as third base coach

The Angels are expected to hire Brian Butterfield, who was Joe Maddon’s third base coach with the Chicago Cubs, with Mike Gallego moving from third base coach to bench coach, a source confirmed on Thursday night.

The Angels’ coaching staff for 2020 is nearly complete, although the club has not announced any of the assignments.

Hitting coaches Jeremy Reed and Paul Sorrento are expected to return, joined by assistant hitting coach John Mallee, who worked with Maddon in Chicago.

Bullpen coach Andrew Bailey will return to work under pitching coach Mickey Callaway, who will come to the Angels after two years of managing the New York Mets and five years as the Cleveland Indians’ pitching coach.

Jesus Feliciano will return as first base coach and José Molina as catching instructor.

Shawn Wooten, who was the assistant hitting coach, will not be back next season.

Butterfield, who will also be in charge of the Angels’ infielders, has served on the major league coaching staffs of the Toronto Blue Jays, Boston Red Sox and Cubs.

View the full article

I wasn't the biggest fan of Gallego as the third base coach, I liked him much better in the scout/coordinator role he held with the front office. He wasn't notoriously bad like DiSarcina was, but he put up the stop sign way too much. Turned this into a station to station offense, which lacked aggressive running traits that are not only effective, but also entertaining. This was probably a philosophy that was passed down from Ausmus though, so maybe that's not on Gallego as much.

I'm glad Gallego is moving to the bench though. There are a lot of people in the organization that are big fans of his.

I don't know much about Butterfield's tendencies, but hopefully they reflect Maddon's hard nosed style of base running. I doubt he wouldn't been hired if it didn't.

You guys should check out the comments here on Butterfield:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/angels-to-hire-brian-butterfield-as-third-base-coach.html 

Apparently, Cubs fans are going to miss him big time. They felt he was the best in the business. Him, Maddon and Calloway are going to make an epic staff.

Edited by Second Base