True Grich

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

What would you think of Danny Salazar as the 3rd pitcher acquired this off season?  He was non tendered, was highly ranked a few years back and he has ties to Calloway.

Nope.

He lost all of his velo after his arm issues and surgeries. He would be well behind Heaney and Canning on the depth chart.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

That was actually one of Mark478, brightest moments...... closely followed by his belief that the Texas Rangers were the 1994 AL West Champions.   Also ST stats!

LOL “ChampsIn94”

perhaps your best troll work ever.

20 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Go get him Billy

Teheran would be a nice 3rd addition at SP. The Braves declined his $12 M option. I'm thinking 2 years $16 M.

Cole/Wheeler/Ohtani/Teheran/Heaney/Canning

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

What would you think of Danny Salazar as the 3rd pitcher acquired this off season?  He was non tendered, was highly ranked a few years back and he has ties to Calloway.

I mentioned this in another thread. I was thinking of him when I saw that the non-tender officially happened (everybody could see it coming) as a "sure, why not?" candidate. He'd be cheap, could probably sign for a one-year "make good" contract and will either not stay healthy, in which case, we can cut him loose with very little commitment, or be a big boost to either the rotation or (more likely) the bullpen. He could be a weapon out of the bullpen.

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Teheran would be a nice 3rd addition at SP. The Braves declined his $12 M option. I'm thinking 2 years $16 M.

Cole/Wheeler/Ohtani/Teheran/Heaney/Canning

i think i'd rather have miley over teheran, considering their salaries are likely to be similar.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

If Teheran is approaching Weaver circa mid 2010's velocity, I would be leery of giving him any more than one season at say $6-7 million. 

there's a big difference between 89 and 83. to your point, i bet he gets 7-8 million per and maaaaaaybe a two year deal.

1 minute ago, ukyah said:

i think i'd rather have miley over teheran, considering their salaries are likely to be similar.

Yeah, I wanted us to get Miley last year before Eppler signed Harvey and Cahill. I'd be ok with either Teheran or Miley but as a third addition not as a second piece.

1 minute ago, RBM said:

Yeah, I wanted us to get Miley last year before Eppler signed Harvey and Cahill. I'd be ok with either Teheran or Miley but as a third addition not as a second piece.

absolutely. neither one should be a second piece. 

i just saw that miley made 4.5 million this year. it's hard to imagine that he'd get 7-8 now. i think miley at 4.5 might be a good value signing that keeps money on the board for pitchers #1 & #2 or catcher.

3 minutes ago, ukyah said:

absolutely. neither one should be a second piece. 

i just saw that miley made 4.5 million this year. it's hard to imagine that he'd get 7-8 now. i think miley at 4.5 might be a good value signing that keeps money on the board for pitchers #1 & #2 or catcher.

How about trade Andrew Heaney for the pitching starved San Diego Padres for one of their catchers in Meija or Hedges and sign Julio and Wade on the cheap to backend Cole, Wheeler and Ohtani, with Canning in there too. 

Worst case, we still have Sandoval and Suarez that with the help of a real pitching coach and one who had success in developing arms in Cleveland could turn those two youngsters in to really good arms. 

17 hours ago, True Grich said:

I think Odorizzi could bee this year's Dallas Keuchel because of the draft pick compensation attached to him.

what about Will Smith? Think he could be in a Keuchel type situation too. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

How about trade Andrew Heaney for the pitching starved San Diego Padres for one of their catchers in Meija or Hedges

"pitching starved" does not equal "desperate." C'mon.

2 hours ago, RBM said:

Teheran has never been a high velocity pitcher and his numbers don't show a dramatic decline. 

In 2013 at 23 and in his first full season as a starter his FB was at 90.4. Last year it was at 89.8. This year it was at 89.7.

I think this was more about money and the young arms the Braves have in AAA. 

I think he would be a nice pick up on a 2 year deal.

not sure where you are getting your info.  

avg FB velo in 2011 - 93.9
2012 - 93.1
2013 - 93.0
2014 - 92.3
2015 - 92.3
2016 - 91.9
2017 - 91.9
2018 - 90.4
2019 - 89.9

that's a 4mph drop over the course of his career and 2mph over the last two years.  He was still relatively effective this year but that velo drop is scary.