• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If the argument is that there are obviously players who are better at different components of the game then the ultimate end game of the pro DH argument is 50+ player rosters, unlimited substitutions and different lineups for offense and defense.

National FootBaseball League. 

I don’t really see a reason to go that route like football did ages ago to have separate defensive and offensive teams. There isn’t really a reason. It really is as simple as this: A guy who only plays once every five days is simply not going to be effective at the plate. Except in very rare instances, said player is going to be worse than Jeff Mathis. There’s also no real reason to argue why we shouldn’t have the DH.

Some say it’s the tradition, but the DH was suggested by Branch freaking Rickey. It isn’t a new idea. It’s the problem that’s old. We’ve tested the DH for decades. It’s just a better game. 

Others make arguments based on symmetry - all nine fielders should bat - but this ignores that the other eight play every day. There’s a categorical difference between the pitcher and the other eight. 

And occasionally we argue it’s good strategy. Uh, okay. If that’s what you need to make baseball exciting for you, I think you have deeper problems with the game than just the DH. 

On 1/28/2020 at 5:11 PM, Angel Oracle said:

The problem is that every level from HS up, other than the NL, utilizes the DH.   Pitchers aren't developing their hitting skills sufficiently in order to, as a group, be able to produce often enough at the plate like they did back in the days where pitchers like Drysdale, Hampton, Willis, Brett, and Cloninger were threats at the plate.    Who are the threats in the NL anymore, other than MadBum from 2014-2017 (over .700 OPS)?

Greinke was pretty solid, even has 9 career stolen bases. 

34 minutes ago, RBM said:

Nope. The elite players don’t specialize until college ball or the minors. I know this to be true.

What knowledge or experience makes you think otherwise? Explain. 

https://community.hsbaseballweb.com/topic/does-your-pitcher-only-pitch

There's one example that 30 seconds of googling got me. The discussions on there help give a bit of scope. It matches what I've seen and read quite a bit elsewhere.

You're correct that many still go both ways, but to say that only those who are suck otherwise are PO's is incorrect. It may be true in your limited experience, but it is far from absolute.

5:54PM: “All signs point to a two-team race” between the Dodgers and Padres for Betts, the Boston Globe’s Alex Speier writes, and “Major League sources believe that it’s likelier than not that Betts gets traded, potentially in the very near future.”  Price might yet be involved in a potential Dodgers deal, though adding Price alongside Betts “might compromise the prospect return for the Sox,” since Los Angeles doesn’t want to absorb much of Price’s contract.

11 hours ago, RBM said:

This proves my point. Thanks.

It is not the norm for pitchers to not hit in HS. If a kid can hit, he hits.

It changes in the minors or in college/showcases.

I don't think so. You said, " The kids who are PO’s in HS are the kids who can’t hit or field and the only way they can make the HS team is as a pitcher only." As per comments in there, that's just not true. I didn't make an absolute statement that everyone specializes or even that the majority do. I said, " It’s becoming the norm." It is a fact that it is becoming (statement of process not yet completed) more common.

It is untrue that kids don't specialize in high school or that it hasn't become some degree of a trend. I probably overstated it a bit, but no less than you did. At any rate, that's all I have to say on the subject. You can believe whatever you want.

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Your arguments have nothing to do with this thread topic. It doesn't help that it is a boring argument as well.

I was going to chime in on this one having actually coached both in HS and travel ball for HS aged kids boys and girls, but ill let it go cause, yeah, off topic.