True Grich

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

Is this where I ask if Castellanos is still going to get that 4 year deal that was “implied” earlier in this or some other thread?  

15 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I still think Castellanos will get a multi-year deal at the suggested (MLBTradeRumors.com) approximate $14M per season. It may only be about 3 years, not 4 but if someone really likes his bat (probably an A.L. team) they will go 4 years.

EDIT: Heck it could be the Angels, putting him at 1B but I know some of you don't like that idea. However, he'd make the offense even that much stronger, particularly against LHP which he destroys. I still like Jared Walsh's chances to just run with the spot, however.

16 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I find the qualifying offer to be a really flawed concept.  

Hopefully they get rid of it in the next CBA. 

It's funny because MLB pretends that it is about creating parity, but it really exists only to depress draft bonuses. In the last few years it has morphed into a way to crush the value of a large subset of FA's.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:10 AM, beatlesrule said:

The Rockies and Cardinals “have begun exchanging names” of players of interest as they attempt to structure a potential deal that would send third baseman Nolan Arenado to St. Louis, MLB.com’s Jon Morosi reports. The Colorado organization is said to want both MLB and minor-league players to move their franchise cornerstone.

is there any franchise better at taking all star players from organizations who for some strange reason are pushing them out the door? i feel like the cardinals last 30 years are built on that foundation.

How would Betts make sense for the Padres? Does he make them a WS favorite? I don’t think he extends and I’ve seen no sign they’re open to another big money contract - and Betts will dwarf Machado and Hosmer’s. 

Either they think they can compete, or they think they can re-sign him, or they’re dumb as heck. 

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

How would Betts make sense for the Padres? Does he make them a WS favorite? I don’t think he extends and I’ve seen no sign they’re open to another big money contract - and Betts will dwarf Machado and Hosmer’s. 

Either they think they can compete, or they think they can re-sign him, or they’re dumb as heck. 

San Diego has a long history of delusion 

1 hour ago, Ochocinco! said:

San Diego fans deserve a good team now that the Super Chargers are in LA.

Petco will forever be my favorite stadium. Hope they get him and can be competitive. 

Nah. Fuck any team that’s not the Angels. With this cheating shit going on it’s every man for himself now. Fuck every other MLB team. 

Yep Nod GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I wouldn't mind grabbing a guy like Pence on a cheap 1yr deal for like 3-4 mil as our 4th OFer.  

yep you never know when someone might miss half the year with turf toe.

If the Rangers get Arenado (or even Bryant), it will completely negate our offseason moves.  They already finished ahead of us last season, and will have added an elite 3B like us, but will have also added Kluber and Gibson who are better than Teheran and Bundy, and Chirinos who is better than Castro.

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

If the Rangers get Arenado (or even Bryant), it will completely negate our offseason moves.  They already finished ahead of us last season, and will have added an elite 3B like us, but will have also added Kluber and Gibson who are better than Teheran and Bundy, and Chirinos who is better than Castro.

Do you think any part of them finishing above us had to do with us dealing with injury and death?  I agree with you that Kluber and Gibson are better than Teheran and Bundy.  I can tell you that fangraphs/steamer expect Castro to basically triple the production of Chirinos this year.  Do I think he will triple it, no, but to say Chirinos is better might not be correct.  Also, who replaces Mazara who they traded?  Deshields?  Pence?  My point is you might only be looking at things a certain way rather than trying to be somewhat objective.  Maybe they have replacements, I have no idea.  None of those players are great, but they are 3 of their 4 outfielders.  

7 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

by this logic, we negated the the Yankees signing of Cole by signing Rendon.  

It would make them better but we play then 19 times.  Which means over the course of the season Arenado gives them one additional win against us.  

All your other presumptions are arguable as well.  

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Do you think any part of them finishing above us had to do with us dealing with injury and death?  I agree with you that Kluber and Gibson are better than Teheran and Bundy.  I can tell you that fangraphs/steamer expect Castro to basically triple the production of Chirinos this year.  Do I think he will triple it, no, but to say Chirinos is better might not be correct.  Also, who replaces Mazara who they traded?  Deshields?  Pence?  My point is you might only be looking at things a certain way rather than trying to be somewhat objective.  Maybe they have replacements, I have no idea.  None of those players are great, but they are 3 of their 4 outfielders.  

optimist.