• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

17 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

He wants to win and instead of improving the team they’ve been reportedly been listening to trade rumors for him only a year after he agreed to stay with them long term.  I get why he feels disrespected.

If he wanted to be "respected", he should have secured a no-trade clause in his quarter-billion dollar contract.  The only one who's being disrespectful is Arenado for badmouthing the organization. The Rockies have done nothing wrong.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Colorado Rockies general manager Jeff Bridich said Monday that All-Star third baseman Nolan Arenado is no longer on the trade block, according to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post.

"With the season coming up and spring training on the horizon, we are going to start focusing on that," Bridich said. "We have listened to teams regarding Nolan and really nothing has come of it. We are going to move forward pretty much as we expected - with Nolan in the purple and black and as our third baseman.

"So we can put this to bed and collectively look forward to the upcoming season and work toward that."

Good. I'm in CO and people here would flip their shit if Nolan were traded.

I think misled would be a better description, not to say I know how Arenado feels. But I'm guessing he wouldn't have signed that big extension if the Rockies said they'd be rebuilding in a year. It's strange to be rebuilding a roster with as much talent as they have. Blackmon, Story, Arenado, Marquez and Gray is a solid core, and they have a solid crop of incoming talent with Dahl, McMahon, Rodgers and Hampson. 

The Rockies should be manuevering to compete, not selling and rebuilding, either by spending in FA or trading some of their offensive talent in return for more pitching.

Arenado wants to win, and I get that. But he yoked himself to the Rockies, and rather than complaining to the media about it, here should be focusing on what he can control, which is his game, and his leadership role in the clubhouse. 

11 hours ago, Lou said:

If he wanted to be "respected", he should have secured a no-trade clause in his quarter-billion dollar contract.  The only one who's being disrespectful is Arenado for badmouthing the organization. The Rockies have done nothing wrong.

I knew when he signed long term he wouldn’t last there 

the Rockies are no where near competing , especially in the same division as the dodgers 

NA will be a cardinal or if the dodgers wanna unload lux, may, and let’s say an expiring contract like Turner, he’ll be a dog 

I can understand feeling disappointed that he's been the subject of trade talks or feeling lied to about the Rockies improving the team (although their payroll is pretty high), but disrespected?  Not so much. Players (especially those with huge contracts) who say such things never look good in the process. The Rockies almost have to trade him and with him saying he wants to be traded - it puts the Rockies at a disadvantage.

At the end of the day - it's just business. Arenado needs to get over it.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I can understand feeling disappointed that he's been the subject of trade talks or feeling lied to about the Rockies improving the team (although their payroll is pretty high), but disrespected?  Not so much. Players (especially those with huge contracts) who say such things never look good in the process. The Rockies almost have to trade him and with him saying he wants to be traded - it puts the Rockies at a disadvantage.

At the end of the day - it's just business. Arenado needs to get over it.

Why does he need to get over it? Does he have a gag order? They’re allowed to suck if they want. He’s allowed to feel betrayed by that and say it publicly. Is it bad form? I dunno, depends whether they told him they were competing and that was why he returned or not. Clearly they aren’t trying to compete this year, so if their attempt only lasted one season, I get why he’s pissed. They don’t have to trade him, but he also doesn’t have to make it make it easy to keep him. 

Neither side is exactly acting well, but for some reason he’s getting all the blame around here, which is ludicrous. 

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Why does he need to get over it? Does he have a gag order? They’re allowed to suck if they want. He’s allowed to feel betrayed by that and say it publicly. Is it bad form? I dunno, depends whether they told him they were competing and that was why he returned or not. Clearly they aren’t trying to compete this year, so if their attempt only lasted one season, I get why he’s pissed. They don’t have to trade him, but he also doesn’t have to make it make it easy to keep him. 

Neither side is exactly acting well, but for some reason he’s getting all the blame around here, which is ludicrous. 

To be perfectly honest... I don't care one way or the other.

My point is that baseball is a business. Arenado needs to get over the fact that baseball is a business because stuff like this just happens. He can feel however he wants, obviously. I just think its a bad look to go public the way he has. I'm not laying blame anywhere. Just talking baseball.

Edited by True Grich

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

My point is that baseball is a business. Arenado needs to get over the fact that baseball is a business because stuff like this just happens. He can feel however he wants, obviously. I just think its a bad look to go public the way he has. I'm not laying blame anywhere. Just talking baseball.

I hate reading that
Its true of course today.  For the players its a job, and we all should be respected for our work.  For the fans its who we root for and we expect loyalty, but thats just not feasible when its a business as no business has any to anyone anymore.
Im not suggesting your wrong, i just wish it wasnt true.  

Is it bad for him to go public but not the team when they're actively talking about moving him one year after he signed an 8 year contract?  Yeah it's a business but if I'm him I'd want out too because after both sides committing long term the team apparently doesn't feel the same way they did a year ago.  Until he gets traded he's going to get asked probably every day during the season about him eventually getting traded.  Any time he goes 0 for whatever there will be some talk about whether or not he's struggling because of the trade that has yet to happen.  If they're serious about moving him which they apparently are they're better off getting it done sooner rather than later for both sides.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

This ^^

So, the only thing I think Arenado should be upset about is that the Rockies signed him to a long-term contract and he probably thought that they were committing to competing over the time period of his contract. To hear rumors that they are shopping him in trade probably feels like a betrayal of sorts in terms of competitiveness in the Division and first and foremost a lot of MLB players are gamers and want to win.

Beyond that though, Arenado got paid a massive contract and he and his agent had the opportunity to sit down and analyze not only the market but the Rockies ability to compete in the near future across the breadth of the contract that Nolan agreed to accept. If they didn't perform their due diligence on Colorado's ability to win and their future obligations and payroll (a sort of personal player Primer Series 😄 ) that is on them too. Certainly signing and then the next year hearing they have changed course is difficult but to act out in the manner he is doing is a bit childish.

He simply needs to put it out to the public that he is immensely dissatisfied with the rumors of his potential trade and that if the Rockies are not looking to compete they should trade him to a team that does want to win. There is a professional way to show your displeasure and a wrong way to do it and his statement seems to lean toward the latter.