• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

Angels: Entering the 2016 season, the Angels hired general manager Billy Eppler to helm a franchise led by all-world center fielder Mike Trout. As was the case then, Trout remains on a collision course with a Cooperstown plaque. The problem is that the Angels have continually failed to take advantage of his presence. Since Eppler came aboard, they haven’t even posted a .500 season. They’re also on their third manager (Mike Scioscia, whom Eppler inherited, then Brad Ausmus and now Joe Maddon) since their GM assumed the reins. Eppler has been rather aggressive this offseason as he works on a turnaround, though, having signed third baseman Anthony Rendon to a seven-year, $235MM contract, picked up catcher Jason Castro and added starters Julio Teheran and Dylan Bundy. The acquisition of a much-needed front-line rotation piece this winter has eluded Eppler, who will perhaps keep trying to land one before the season. Regardless, it appears to be put up-or-shut up time for Eppler. Should the Angels fail to make significant progress in the upcoming campaign, it seems likely they’ll have a new GM a year from now.

The Rockies and Cardinals “have begun exchanging names” of players of interest as they attempt to structure a potential deal that would send third baseman Nolan Arenado to St. Louis, MLB.com’s Jon Morosi reports. The Colorado organization is said to want both MLB and minor-league players to move their franchise cornerstone.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/checking-in-on-last-seasons-worst-rotations.html

Los Angeles Angels (5.64 ERA/5.41 FIP; current depth chart)

• The Angels’ rotation suffered a terrible blow in the fall of 2018 when Shohei Ohtani underwent Tommy John surgery, costing him all of last season, and then tragedy struck last July when Tyler Skaggs passed away. Considering the circumstances, it’s not surprising the Angels’ staff reeled last season. Nevertheless, adding reinforcements was clearly in order for this winter. The problem is that the Angels still haven’t found a way to acquire a proven front-of-the-rotation type, which many expected to them to get when the winter began. Ohtani’s back, which is a major plus. Meanwhile, the acquisitions of innings-eaters Dylan Bundy and Julio Teheran should help matters, but they’re not going to frighten opposing offenses. The Angels figure to keep trying to better their rotation in the coming months, though the open market has dried up and teams seemingly aren’t champing at the bit to move big-time starters via trade now.

On 1/13/2020 at 8:49 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I like this way of thinking. I'd take on Davis.

I would too. Angels would just slightly be over the tax (ooooo scary), but very doable. Maybe Davis performs better getting out of Colorado since his stats sky-rocketed while he was with them. Davis has a 2021 option that we could decline if worst came to worst as and that can help us clear salary and possibly reset payroll if need be. 

Gray, Ohtani, Heaney, Teheran, Canning, Bundy sounds good enough to let a strong offense and better bullpen take over. 

2021 go out and sign Stroman who's an uber-Trout fan.

17 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Why rebuild when they have been terrible the last 10 years? Only year they were good was 2018 when they went 91-72. That team is a joke

They were second WC in '17 too. They thought they were trending upward but then Freeland went missing and their expensive veteran relievers blew game after game until they were toast last season. A eww tweaks and they could be really good

1 minute ago, arch stanton said:

Back to back post seasons is terrible?

Okay so 2 good seasons out of 10. Basically the Angels of the national league. Aside from their one season over 90+ wins, they clearly don't have the ownership to keep payroll high.

One thing that makes me scratch my head is why push so hard to sign a guy to build around only to trade him the next year? I understand the idea of doing it to get high-end prospects, but you're giving out the wrong message to other potential future free agents.  

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Okay so 2 good seasons out of 10. Basically the Angels of the national league. Aside from their one season over 90+ wins, they clearly don't have the ownership to keep payroll high.

One thing that makes me scratch my head is why push so hard to sign a guy to build around only to trade him the next year? I understand the idea of doing it to get high-end prospects, but you're giving out the wrong message to other potential future free agents.  

At this point you can call it 2 good seasons out of three. And he's got a full no trade and an opt out. They're not shopping him, everybody is coming to them

51 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Why rebuild when they have been terrible the last 10 years? Only year they were good was 2018 when they went 91-72. That team is a joke

They’ve behaved like a contending team.  If they trade Arenado that would be a massive departure from that.  I have no idea what you’re arguing with me.