• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Shut the fuck up Scotty you unwashed asshole.

Jimmy Nelson is a worthless signing to this organization. 

You need to go outside, get some fresh air, maybe take a relaxing walk through the park, and then go home, bake some cookies, and then shove a bowling ball up your ass.

My hole is very clean you decadent Philistine. That all sounded wonderful until the bowling ball part. 

43 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Jimmy Nelson had two good years, not one, is a former top prospect and appeared well on his way in developing into an ace before the shoulder injury. He returned and it looks like the velocity is all the way back or close to it. 

For 1 million dollars, you're betting on him returning to form.

And yet everyone here is on Alex Wood's jock because he might return to form, and Wood is said to be seeking a 3 year deal.

So yeah, Jimmy Nelson at 1/1 is a whiff, particularly when the alternative at this point is Jaime Barria, Pat Sandoval or Jose Suarez, all of which could use time in AAA.

1 million risk on upside. Better than 8 million on Allen and 25 million on Harvey and Cahill. 

I don't know.  Barria and Suarez probably could use time in AAA.  I think Sandoval showed enough that, with a decent camp, he could be one of the six in the rotation.  

Again, if we bring in a Darvish, or a Price, then things are a bit different.  

I like Alex Wood, but not for 3 years.

58 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

People are mocking you, but I agree 100%.  Nelson was a legitimate top 10 pitcher in the league in 2017, and only cost $1 million.  I would’ve easily doubled it, that’s nothing for a guy who has previously shown the ability to be a top of the rotation starter.  

I'm not mocking him, as $1 million is chump change, and, if it was 2018/2019, I'd say go for it but Eppler's entire time as GM has been dealing with guys with arm injuries further highlighted by the fact that last season only one pitcher made it to 100 innings.  At some point, you have use your resources and roster spots for reasonably healthy arms with some guarantee of return.  On one side, people are blasting the Angels for not being able to stay healthy and then, on the other side, pushing for signing guys like Alex Wood, who are talented but injury prone.  The last few offseasons we've gone into April with supposedly 10 deep rotational depth only to see them drop like flies by July to the point we are depending on guys like Oliver Drake, Troy Scribner, Parker Bridwell, Deck McGuire, Odrisamir Despaigne, John Lamb, Chris Stratton, and Dillon Peters to give us someone who might make it through 5 decent innings in order to avoid a bullpen game.  

At this point, with who is projected to be in the rotation (Ohtani, Heaney, Teheren, Bundy, Canning), the Angels need guys that can pitch above a 4 starter in quality and are healthy enough to give them 150+ IP.

Okay, Nelson has had ONE season (2017) with a sub 4.00 ERA and sub 1.28 WHIP, in the NL where ERA's are generally lower anyway.   He had one other decent enough year in 2015, 4.11 ERA and 1.28 WHIP.

Anyway, taking a risk for $1 million wouldn't have hurt.  But I'm not going to lose sleep over it, especially with him having shoulder issues.

There's still 5+ weeks until ST, to go get one additional inning eatings/sub 4.50 ERA starter.

Edited by Angel Oracle