• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

@Pancake Bear The luxury tax part won't matter to the Angels as much as the Red Sox, so to get his AAV off their roster is a top priority. I suspect the Angels would be taking on more salary in 2020 and less in 2021 and 2022.

He's owed 32 million across the next three years and if calculations are correct, the Red Sox figure to be around 10 million over that threshold. Just a guess, but if this did happen, I think the Angels would be on the hook for 20 million in 2020, 15 million in 2021 and 10 million in 2022. 

Red Sox would still be on the hook for 51 million of the 96 million Price is owed, but they'd be able to drop under the tax this season, and after next year they'd have Betts and JBJ off the payroll, and would owe 17 million if Price's salary, which means they're be able to extend our sign free agents again next winter. The following winter though, they'll babe on the hook for 22 million of Price's salary, but since it's the last year of his contract, this may not bother Boston so much. In the end, it saves them money and asked Boston to reload and compete again, likely in 2022 or 2023, rather than going through a full rebuilding process. 

And for the Angels, they get the pitching Captain they need, the mid rotation starter they need, and at a price that's less than what they would've paid Keuchel or Bumgarner. Price moving away from the AL East, moving to a team with an equally as spectacular OF but far superior infield, reuniting with Maddon, working under Callaway, on a team that figures to have a decently deep bullpen, it just puts him in the perfect scenario to succeed. I think his ERA would deflate down into the mid-3's and he'd cover 150 innings a year. 

Certainly not an ace. Certainly a risk. But it had a decent chance of playing out well for the Angels. And I doubt this deal would prevent the Angels from bringing in Alex Wood either. 

If Boston is eating salary, the Angels are giving up someone of value for an aging, expensive question mark. Not getting a "Captain" vibe from Price...especially considering his career in the postseason.

Big 'meh' from me 

The Nationals have agreed to a deal with free agent right-hander Will Harris, The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter link).  The contract is a three-year pact worth $24MM, as per USA Today’s Bob Nightengale (via Twitter).  Harris is represented by agent Gavin Kahn.

I would have liked Eppler to have signed him. 3 years seems like a bit much though. I'd had been fine with 2/20. Harris/Robles would be a great 8th-9th option.  Oh well. I guess Eppler thinks the bullpen doesn't need improvement. 

6 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

The Nationals have agreed to a deal with free agent right-hander Will Harris, The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reports (Twitter link).  The contract is a three-year pact worth $24MM, as per USA Today’s Bob Nightengale (via Twitter).  Harris is represented by agent Gavin Kahn.

I would have liked Eppler to have signed him. 3 years seems like a bit much though. I'd had been fine with 2/20. Harris/Robles would be a great 8th-9th option.  Oh well. I guess Eppler thinks the bullpen doesn't need improvement. 

Three years and $8m per is crazy. He’s good but that would become a bad deal halfway through year two, I’d bet. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Three years and $8m per is crazy. He’s good but that would become a bad deal halfway through year two, I’d bet. 

Yep to a guy that is going into his age 35 season.  Obviously it isn’t my money and would have liked to have him in our pen, but it is really easy to understand why they didn’t give him 3 years.  Also if you are the Angels you have to significantly outbid the World Series champs to get him.

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If there is one thing Eppler has shown is his ability to get solid, cheap bullpen arms either via waivers, trade for a PTBNL, promoted from within, or signed to a minor league deal.     

48 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

If there is one thing Eppler has shown is his ability to get solid, cheap bullpen arms either via waivers, trade for a PTBNL, promoted from within, or signed to a minor league deal.     

Yup. I’d like to see him add to the pen still because inevitably all the depth in the world isn’t enough for the Angels of late, but still confident in his pen-building work. It only goes off-course when the rotation gets rocked by injuries which has happened every year.

If the Angels can just have four SPs make 20+ GS, they’re gonna be great, no matter how good those four SPs are, I think. The offense and pen will take it from there.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yup. I’d like to see him add to the pen still because inevitably all the depth in the world isn’t enough for the Angels of late, but still confident in his pen-building work. It only goes off-course when the rotation gets rocked by injuries which has happened every year.

If the Angels can just have four SPs make 20+ GS, they’re gonna be great, no matter how good those four SPs are, I think. The offense and pen will take it from there.

I will up this to say 5 guys make 20, 4 of those guys make 25+

That would be at least 140 starts from the top 5 guys in the rotation. Leaving no more than 22 for the 6-7-8 guys. I'd also prefer the 6th guy get the majority of that obviously.

Last year the top 5 guys in the rotation to open the season (Harvey, Cahill, Skaggs, Heaney, and Pena...not counting Barria...) made 63. Add the 6th guy and you go way up to 76.

In 2018, the top 6 guys (Richards, Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker) made just 87.

In 2017, Richards, Shoemaker, Nolasco, Chavez and Skaggs pitched 90. Heaney added 5.

In 2016, Weaver, Richards, Shoemaker, Santiago/Nolasco, and Heaney was supposed to be the rotation, and that group made 97. Add Tropeano's 13 and you get to 110.

They've had some terrible luck with health in the last 4 seasons. In 2015, the top 6 guys started 153 games. That's the last year the Angels made the playoffs. It's not a coincidence.

54 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I will up this to say 5 guys make 20, 4 of those guys make 25+

That would be at least 140 starts from the top 5 guys in the rotation. Leaving no more than 22 for the 6-7-8 guys. I'd also prefer the 6th guy get the majority of that obviously.

Last year the top 5 guys in the rotation to open the season (Harvey, Cahill, Skaggs, Heaney, and Pena...not counting Barria...) made 63. Add the 6th guy and you go way up to 76.

In 2018, the top 6 guys (Richards, Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker) made just 87.

In 2017, Richards, Shoemaker, Nolasco, Chavez and Skaggs pitched 90. Heaney added 5.

In 2016, Weaver, Richards, Shoemaker, Santiago/Nolasco, and Heaney was supposed to be the rotation, and that group made 97. Add Tropeano's 13 and you get to 110.

They've had some terrible luck with health in the last 4 seasons. In 2015, the top 6 guys started 153 games. That's the last year the Angels made the playoffs. It's not a coincidence.

We finished 3rd in the division in 2015 and didn’t make the playoffs. Are you thinking of 2014?

15 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

They don't need a broken, $30+ mil per year "mentor"...they need a guy that can take his turn in the rotation and give them quality innings.  The mentor thing is not essential...

Callaway is a solid mentor anyway, having been a former MLB pitcher in addition to being one of the best pitching coaches in the game

The 2002 rotation didn’t have a lot of MLB experience, yet Bud Black coaxed that pitching staff to a near AL team ERA title.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

We finished 3rd in the division in 2015 and didn’t make the playoffs. Are you thinking of 2014?

Obviously I was. But yes, they went 85-77 and finished 3 games out. The Yankees and the Astros were the wild cards and they finished 2 and 1 games ahead of them respectively.

This would never happen, but imagine doing a deal with the Red Sox like their great salary purge to the Dodgers back in 2012.

Something like:

Boston trades JD Martinez, Chris Sale,  David Price, Marco Hernandez, and cash

Angels trade Luis Rengifo, Taylor Ward, Hector Yan, and 2 PTBNLs

Don't think the money would ever be able to be worked out for a trade like this to ever happen, but it would be something.

On 1/2/2020 at 10:49 AM, Stradling said:

Ok. If you believe in bullies then so be it.  I think calling someone a bully on a message board is pathetic.  If that opinion hurts feelings or makes me a bully by someone’s personal opinion then I guess I am a bully to someone who I wouldn’t respect in the first place.  If someone sees @Lou as a bully then same thing applies.  How a guy that is 78 3/4 is a bully is beyond me.

the irony that you said, 78 3/4, should not be lost.

also, the idea that bullying stops at some predetermined age is beyond stupid.

bullying is behavior and anyone can do it.

a spade is a spade. it would be nice if you brought addition to the board, rather than contribute to the subtraction as others are doing.