• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

A contract like that is hedging against possible arbitration raises.  When Kris Bryant got almost 11M in his first year of arbitration and Josh Donaldson set the record getting 23M in his final year I can see why teams do it but I don't think it's necessary for players who have never played in the majors.  I'd rather the Angels go the Acuna route with Adell.  If he produces in his first stint offer him an 8 year deal to buy out 2 or 3 of his FA years.  He'll be financially secure for life and would still hit FA in his prime.

23 hours ago, RBM said:

I have been critical of Eppler’s mistakes in the past, especially his FA signings but I think some of us really need to step back and take stock.

This team is a lot better now on January 1 than they were going into the offseason. And I don't think Eppler is done yet.

The starting pitching is better. The lineup is better. The defense is better. The bullpen is better  

Last year seemed like a perfect storm scenario. I think if we get healthy seasons from the players who were injured last year, positive progressions from the young players, good seasons from Rendon, Teheran, Bundy and add a decent catcher then this is a playoff team.

Not much to disagree with on the surface but you do realize that in general that is true for most teams. In my experience, and I'm sure in yours as well, most of our hoped for endeavors don't work out as we wish them to.

you list 4 hopes

1. Healthy seasons

2. Positive progressions

3. Good Seasons

4. A Quality catcher

of the 4 experience says that one of the 4 will happen, one of the 4 will worsen. One of the 4 remain the same, and one will work out in a way that none of us could have imagined.

that how life works. It's best if you build in redundancies

6 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

A contract like that is hedging against possible arbitration raises.  When Kris Bryant got almost 11M in his first year of arbitration and Josh Donaldson set the record getting 23M in his final year I can see why teams do it but I don't think it's necessary for players who have never played in the majors.  I'd rather the Angels go the Acuna route with Adell.  If he produces in his first stint offer him an 8 year deal to buy out 2 or 3 of his FA years.  He'll be financially secure for life and would still hit FA in his prime.

They also have team options attached for a couple FA years, generally. Cost control and cost savings, but you need to balance with risk.

It's an interesting strategy, especially for smaller revenue clubs.

15 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

This is such a strange take. And by strange, I mean pessimistic just for the sake of pessimism because it ignores every known fact.

Bundy/Teheran >>>>>>> Harvey/Cahill

You might say, "That's what we said last year". 

Look at Cahill's innings. This guy hadn't pitched over 120 innings in years. Harvey was always a high risk option. We hoped to get lucky with his upside. Things went the opposite direction.

Bundy and Teheran are the opposite: Low risk innings eaters.

We know exactly what we're getting from Bundy because he's been pretty consistent the last three years and he isn't so old that he's declining: 160-something innings and a 4.50 ERA or thereabouts. Given he's getting out of the AL East and a backwards and lousy team, might even make it to a low 4 ERA, but that's being optimistic.

Teheran isn't quite as clear given he's coming out of the NL, but he's been fairly consistent also. 175 innings the last two years, 185 the two before that. Ranged from a 3.80-4.50 ERA the last three years. If I'm handicapping, I take the high side of that. Still, two guys with 160-180 innings each at a 4.50 ERA is miles ahead of anything we had last year. 

So, yeah, you're wrong. 

Also, Ohtani is back. Innings will be limited, and Eppler didn't acquire him, sure, but he's still going to be pitching and he improves the rotation.

img?c=1&cq=256&h=400&m=0&partner=41084&q=80&r=0&u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn2.hubspot.net%2Fhubfs%2F2540174%2FCriteo%2520Product%2520Images%2FPRO4_800x800.jpg&ups=1&v=3&w=400&s=MiYscXc7OUY5utabEtIVytLf
TRX® PRO4 System
Used by professional athletes & Olympians world-wide, the TRX PRO4 SYSTEM is...
trxtraining.com

My take is how we felt about Harvey and Cahill 12 months ago.  Not how we felt about them I'm June.  And please remember 12 months ago we had Skaggs.

26 minutes ago, RBM said:

Do you really think the Dodgers operate without a budget or are financially careless? They are one of, if not the, smartest teams in baseball.

I get it, you're an Angels fan so you hate the Dodgers. But don't embarrass yourself by saying dumb shit.

Kinda like assuming what another person likes or doesn't like even though im on record as saying i dont mind the Dodgers at all. 
Yes they have spend money no one not names Yankees could spend and gotten in lux tax trouble which they were bailed out of.
Do they have a budget, sure, is it significantly higher than anyone saved for previously mentioned team in NY, damn right it is. 
Call it what you will but lets not pretend they have limitation in the same universe as the rest of baseball. 

6 hours ago, floplag said:

Actually, yes we did, as noted in your own post, Ohtani replaces Skaggs effectively as he didnt pitch in 19.   I hate to word it that way but thats the reality of it. 
All im saying is that im comparison to opening day 19, we are in fact substantially improved, and still have room to improve further. 

No, Ohtani replaces the Ace/ #2 that the team should've acquired this off-season. Teheran replaces Skaggs.

The Dodgers' TV contract has an AAV of over $332 million. Their opening day payroll last year was $206 million. This is before they sell a single ticket. 

The Angels' TV Contract has an AAV of $150 million. 

They are smart. They are great at player development. Having a budget so high that it's not really ever going to come into play is also tremendously helpful.

11 minutes ago, RBM said:

Not true. The Dodgers were 5th in CBT last year. We were only $15 M below them. 

As you say, last year, whereas in recent years they had to be bailed out to get out of large penalties due to being well over and beyond levels others can afford.
In 2017 they paid the highest tax for 4 straight years.   Now if you consider that responsible, thats up to you. 

30 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

The Dodgers' TV contract has an AAV of over $332 million. Their opening day payroll last year was $206 million. This is before they sell a single ticket. 

They are smart. They are great at player development. Having a budget so high that it's not really ever going to come into play is also tremendously helpful.

This

There are a lot of angry Dogs fans though, as a lot of them still can't get Dogs baseball on their tv's.     Of course, more and more people are streaming anyway. 

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

Not to mention the previous years.

The dodgers were well above the tax limit, and paying a YON in taxes for several years before they reset. They still managed to keep spending with that penalty.

They and the yankees are on different planets financially.

Not to mention, and this never gets discussed here, how much organizations spend outside of their on the books payroll. Some teams have far more to throw around than others.

Whoever the Angels bring in to pitch, he needs to be a veteran and leader of the pitching staff. Who are Canning, Barria, Suarez and Sandoval supposed to look toward when seeing how to go out there and battle? 

Say what you will about horseface Lackey, the guy showed other pitchers how to be a big leaguer by example. He'd throw at a hitter, no questions asked. He owned the inner half of the plate. He expected his fielders to make plays and he fought to stay in every game. He wasn't intimidated by anyone, Scioscia included. He played the role of promising prospect, struggling young guy trying to make the adjustments, staff ace, and salty vet, and he'd pitched in the biggest of games. And like him it not, he was outspoken.

You can say pretty much all those things about Weaver and Haren as well. 

Heaney? Nope. Teheran? Nope. Bundy? Nope. Ohtani? Nope. 

And without that guy, I'm afraid this rotation and pitching staff in general will fail.  That's why I'm not advocating for someone like Matt Boyd. He doesn't fulfill the clubhouse role this pitching staff needs. David Price does though. Kluber would have. Stroman or Syndergaard could be that guy as well. 

So I'm not sure who they'll get. I just feel like that role needs to be filled in some capacity.