• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think we can all agree that Trout was obviously a monster despite not having solid protection in the lineup in his career. Now with Rendon likely hitting behind him he's going to get pitches in the zone to hit. He's already going to be good. Assuming he's better with Rendon protecting him, I wonder how much better he could get. These are my predictions, not by Fangraph or anyone else...

2019: .291/.438/.645/1.083 with 45HR, 110R, 104RBI and 8.3WAR
2020: .302/.454/.652/1.106 with 52HR, 125R, 115RBI and (if healthy year) around a 9WAR 

If he stays healthy I think he can easily get his 4th MVP. He's now entered his prime. 

I think he would have been very close to those numbers with a healthy year in 2019 anyways so I wonder what a healthy Mike Trout with Rendon/Ohtani and a healthy Upton hitting behind him look like. 

Yeah man, I keep having day dreams of a lineup like....

2B Fletcher

CF Trout

3B Rendon

DH Ohtani

RF Adell

1B La Stella/Pujols

LF Upton

SS Simmons

C Castro, Chirinos or some young squatter out there

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The only way Marsh/Boyd match up is if Marsh is literally the only player the Angels send, and even then, it's a hell of an overpay and risk. 

I would consider a Suarez or Barria and Marsh for Boyd and Skubel though. 

18 minutes ago, floplag said:

Define substantially?
We've added 2 guys that pitched more than anyone we had and did so to solid enough numbers and will still probably add one more.
This will also make the bullpen better but not throwing their arms off by June.
@Inside Pitch beat me to the projections but yeah, a run a game is in fact substantial. 

We didn't even replace Skaggs.

Yes we have Ohtani and I hope he does well, but every season we hope the pitchers do well.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I would consider a Suarez or Barria and Marsh for Boyd and Skubel though. 

I might, but I'm not sure why Detroit would bite...they aren't competing in 2020, likely 2021. 2022 might even be a stretch. Barria and Suarez would be burning up control and close to arb, so unless they're really high on either or have designs on flipping them in a couple years, I don't see it. Skubel probably has more value to them still. 

I think the Angels best bet is a deal comparable to the Bundy trade, where they offer up more quantity over quality. Give up more prospects, but also give up more risky ones.
Headline it one or two of Maitan, Jackson, Knowles, Jackson, Paris, Holmes, Soriano, Yan. 
Offer up a couple of those middling SP-types we have a ton of - Oliver Ortega, Cris Molina, Robinson Pina, Cooper Criswell, Jeremy Beasley, etc. 
And then maybe top it off with someone who is on our MLB fringe - Hermosillo, Ward, Barria, Peters, Rojas, Walsh, Jewell - who could fill an immediate need on their 26/40 and maybe turn into an average MLBer with regular playing time. 

Wonder if prying both Norris and Boyd in a larger deal could be explored. Maybe one moves to the pen and becomes something elite.

Let's play hypotheticals - the Angels wind up acquiring Boyd for a hefty, but fair, price. 
He is typical Boyd in 2020 - 4.50 ERA, lots of strikeouts, lots of homers, lots of innings. 
The Angels hold onto Canning, Sandoval, Suarez, etc., and they emerge as legit rotation options in 2021. 
The Angels move Boyd to the pen and he becomes more of an Andrew Miller 2.0 type, capable of pitching 2+ IP in relief, dominating with his high K rates.
An elite reliever as we step further into legit playoff contention. Would that make acquiring him a better move?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

We didn't even replace Skaggs.

Yes we have Ohtani and I hope he does well, but every season we hope the pitchers do well.

Actually, yes we did, as noted in your own post, Ohtani replaces Skaggs effectively as he didnt pitch in 19.   I hate to word it that way but thats the reality of it. 
All im saying is that im comparison to opening day 19, we are in fact substantially improved, and still have room to improve further. 

32 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah man, I keep having day dreams of a lineup like....

2B Fletcher

CF Trout

3B Rendon

DH Ohtani

RF Adell

1B La Stella/Pujols

LF Upton

SS Simmons

C Castro, Chirinos or some young squatter out there

Agreed. Assuming Adell gets it going, i've got this:

Fletcher (2B)
Adell (RF)
Trout (CF)
Rendon (3B)
Ohtani (DH)
Upton (LF)
Simmons (SS)
LaStela/Pujols (1B)
Catcher

I'd love to see Trout have more chances with runners on.

7 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Fletcher (2B)
Adell (RF)
Trout (CF)
Rendon (3B)
Ohtani (DH)
Upton (LF)
Simmons (SS)
LaStela/Pujols (1B)
Catcher

Mang in the 8 hole.

I love this stuff.

jack nicholson drinking GIF

5 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i don't care for bill's posts, but you're just making his point for him.

Ok. If you believe in bullies then so be it.  I think calling someone a bully on a message board is pathetic.  If that opinion hurts feelings or makes me a bully by someone’s personal opinion then I guess I am a bully to someone who I wouldn’t respect in the first place.  If someone sees @Lou as a bully then same thing applies.  How a guy that is 78 3/4 is a bully is beyond me.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok. If you believe in bullies then so be it.  I think calling someone a bully on a message board is pathetic.  If that opinion hurts feelings or makes me a bully by someone’s personal opinion then I guess I am a bully to someone who I wouldn’t respect in the first place.  If someone sees @Lou as a bully then same thing applies.  How a guy that is 78 3/4 is a bully is beyond me.

Now you’re a bully and an ageist.

45 minutes ago, Stradling said:

donald trump GIF

Pros for Boyd: solid control, big Ks count in 2019, durable in 2018-2019 (63 starts)

Cons for Boyd: gopher ball prone due to 1.8 FB/GB ratio since 2017, and 2019 being his first season where Ks wasn't less than innings pitched 

Boyd has to have one of the most extreme FB/GB ratios in the majors since 2017.

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Fletcher (2B)
Adell (RF)
Trout (CF)
Rendon (3B)
Ohtani (DH)
Upton (LF)
Simmons (SS)
LaStela/Pujols (1B)
Catcher

Assuming adell is for real, and whether or not thats the actual order, thats a pretty nice lineup...

20 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Anyone else feel like thats not a move the dodgers would make? (Unless Betts signs an extension with them).

I guess they did grab Machado for the push, so maybe they would. They just seem.... "smarter" than that.

Well when you have no budget smart might be opening up trades of the wealth of young OF to acquire other parts.