• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

It really is incredible that some of you have watched this team over the last 3 and 4 years and think that “goddamn, if not for the incompetence of Billy Eppler the Angels could have been repeating 2014” 

im sorry, you guys running with that take are baby brained morons.  You’re completely excluding the injuries and the genuinely bad rosters that the Angels have had.  Those 2016 and 2017 teams were extremely bad and the presence of Mike Trout probably had the effect of keeping them from being 100 game losers.  Which, was actually maybe bad.  They got lucky to get Adell.  But this team has had middling picks.  And that makes it tough.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

7 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

My issue with Eppler is that he's failed to build a solid starting rotation. Not saying he does not know baseball. Just don't agree with his actions this offseason. 

How do you build a rotation picking mid to late in draft rounds and not being able to trade what you do have on the farm?
Aside from FA spending which they were not willing to do prior to this year for the last couple so its moot

Eppler has had mixed results to be sure.  The Cozart deal was bad.  Last year he ended up with 2 bad pitchers and lost the Corbin sweepstakes.  Which was absolutely a set back.  And I have no issue characterizing that as a failure.  It was.  And you know maybe thats unfair, but it is what it is.  It’s his job to convince guys to come here.  The same with Wheeler.  

You guys are just spazzing out about Keuchel and Ryu though.  These are probably bad contracts that really don’t change the Angels situation very much in the mid to long term.  It’s not that big a deal.  And it also makes no sense to trade multiples of our top 10 prospects for short term mid rotation pieces.  We just have to get more from the pitchers that we have.  And it’s not like there’s nothing.  It’s entirely possible that we can get pretty good years from Heaney and Canning. Certainly Ohtani. 

The players have to preform.  No team can bring in like 25 wins externally.  It’s a fantasy.  Stop being babies.  I very much hope that at some point soon they can get a pitcher we can be excited about.  It just isn’t going to happen this year, and it’s not entirely Epplers fault.  They’ll get their guy eventually.  They didn’t spend all that money on Trout and Rendon to be .500 for the next 8 years.  

And it will never not be worth repeating that they VERY MUCH NEEDED Anthony Rendon. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Eppler has done a lot of good things (extending Trout, convincing Ohtani to sign here, rebuilding the farm system, etc. etc.). With that said, this game is all about results on the field. So far, the Angels have yet to make the postseason under his reign and have had poor records. One also has to feel that he’s had plenty of time to fix this team. He’s well past the point of being new on the job. If the Angels fail to make the postseason this upcoming season (which would likely be due to the pitching staff), he’ll most likely be gone. I hope he can surprise by acquiring a good starter via trade soon rather than just being content with who he’s gotten.

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

yep 

I can't wait to hear from the sandy vaginas in a few years about how much they wish Ryu (and his contract)  was on our roster. 

I think the first two years is what will count. Ryu on the Angels next year, definitely would have been nice. Bookmark that.  

7 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Come on, man. Trout was on the team in 2014. Pujols, while he's been an underachiever since he's been here, was actually productive in 2014. Ianetta was solid at the plate in 2014. Got on base at a good clip. The amount of support that Eppler still gets is stupid. This guy has not done jack since he's been running the show. No postseason appearances at all. What happens if he does the Angels miss the playoffs again in 2020? Give him another year? Bunch of idiots. If this clown was running the show for another team like the Yankees, the fan base would be calling for his head already. 

Go get ‘em, Tiger!

22 hours ago, TroutField said:

Yeah this isn’t basketball where one good player can carry you to the playoffs. This is a team sport where in order to win each side of the ball has to come together. Do you want Trout to become an ace pitcher as well? 

On 12/25/2019 at 2:31 AM, TroutField said:

Every angel fan should know it was Mike trout and absolutely nothing else. 

Fascinating.

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I might even rank the Rangers higher but this is nice to see.  

They’ve added some solid pitching, but there’s still some risk there that Lynn or Gibson won’t be that good, that Minor regresses, and that Kluber isn’t the same. Personally, I think their rotation will be good.

But their offense was pretty meh last year and they’ve subtracted Pence, Mazara, Cabrera and DeShields. They’re pretty questionable in that regard until some kids take another step.

This is an interesting argument.  The pitching will improve because of the additions of Bundy and Teheran, and a bounce back season from Middleton.  

The offense will improve because of the addition of Rendon and bounce backs from Simmons and Upton.  

Sure, I would like to have an ace, but I hope we don't take on Price, unless we get a steep discount, like about 60 million of the 96 million owed.

The more I look at stats the more I want us to take a chance on a guy like Alex Wood.  If he is healthy which is a big risk, he is better than most of the free agents going into the off season.  His ERA+ is better than Keuchel, Wheeler and Gibson for their careers.  Dude just isn’t healthy.  Last year was a rough year, but I believe he is going into his age 29 season so no reason to think he is done.  I don’t know if his injuries are shoulder or elbow related or something different.  I think we look to add a guy like him in addition to a trade for a Price type of pitcher.  

1 minute ago, AngelStew43 said:

This is an interesting argument.  The pitching will improve because of the additions of Bundy and Teheran, and a bounce back season from Middleton.  

The offense will improve because of the addition of Rendon and bounce backs from Simmons and Upton.  

Sure, I would like to have an ace, but I hope we don't take on Price, unless we get a steep discount, like about 60 million of the 96 million owed.

Is Price really that much different than Kluber if the price is similar?  If they pay it down to where he is owed $18 million or so a year, then it isn’t a bad contract based on performance and the market.  The market paid $18 million to Keuchel and Hamels.  

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Is Price really that much different than Kluber if the price is similar?  If they pay it down to where he is owed $18 million or so a year, then it isn’t a bad contract based on performance and the market.  The market paid $18 million to Keuchel and Hamels.  

Agreed. I’d like Price if Boston pays it down and we don’t give up Adell or Marsh.

30 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

My guess is the negotiations are being held up at either Boston wanting prospects to eat a large chunk of the salary or little to no prospects for an outright dump of the contract.