• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

I read that Callaway kept his distance from the pitching coach as the manager. He wanted to give them the v same autonomy he was offered in Cleveland, so he didn't interfere much at all. 

And the Mets starting staff seemed to be pretty solid regardless.

Now that he's back in a pitching specific role, you have to figure Maddon will give him his space and let him work. Same thing Francona gave him in Cleveland.

11 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

The two seasons prior to Billy taking over, the team went 98-64 in 2014 and 85-77 in 2015. Billy was announced as GM in October of 2015 and we haven’t been .500 or better since.

Billy also inherited some Mike Trout guy, I hear he’s pretty good. 

The Mets in the 2 seasons prior to BVW taking over? 2017 they went 70-92 and in 2018 77-85.

Oh and “lol”

Every angel fan should know it was Mike trout and absolutely nothing else. No pitching or lineup protection and bad bullpens. Again, tell me if the angels had any starting rotation close to that? And how was Eppler supposed to build a staff like that with no minor league system, payroll flexibility, or major league talent. I’m very interested. 

god you say some super stupid shit. If this team makes you so miserable why do you follow it lol all you do is shit on everything they do. Find another hobby. 

3 hours ago, TroutField said:

Every angel fan should know it was Mike trout and absolutely nothing else. No pitching or lineup protection and bad bullpens. Again, tell me if the angels had any starting rotation close to that? And how was Eppler supposed to build a staff like that with no minor league system, payroll flexibility, or major league talent. I’m very interested. 

god you say some super stupid shit. If this team makes you so miserable why do you follow it lol all you do is shit on everything they do. Find another hobby. 

“Mike Trout and absolutely nothing else” yep, gee I sound dumb... using this logic why hasn’t Trout taken this team to the playoffs since then if he’s THAT good?

Arte is very lucky to have the uneducated fan base that he does. Most fan bases would never accept such mediocrity but here it’s welcomed and “justified”.

And the bolded part is the best. When you blowhards have nothing else and are left looking stupid this is your go to statement.  Not everyone walks around with their heads in the clouds.

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

“Mike Trout and absolutely nothing else” yep, gee I sound dumb... using this logic why hasn’t Trout taken this team to the playoffs since then if he’s THAT good?

Arte is very lucky to have the uneducated fan base that he does. Most fan bases would never accept such mediocrity but here it’s welcomed and “justified”.

And the bolded part is the best. When you blowhards have nothing else and are left looking stupid this is your go to statement.  Not everyone walks around with their heads in the clouds.

He’s right.  Merry Christmas. 

4 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Yeah this isn’t basketball where one good player can carry you to the playoffs. This is a team sport where in order to win each side of the ball has to come together. Do you want Trout to become an ace pitcher as well? 

What do you expect the fan base to do? Riot The big A for missing the playoffs?? Stop showing up for the games? You can tell by looking at the stands that people don’t show up like they do when this is a winning club. Duh. 

Being a “realist” means you still have to look at the facts laid out in front of your face... for the past 5 years Eppler has been rebuilding this franchise, and it basically should have been a 10 year rebuild. Adding all the talent he has this quickly is a god send. Look at the roster in 2015, and then look at the minor league system. We were FUCKED 

13 hours ago, Bill Neftleberg said:

SHOWS HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW

i happen to be a met fan, but being from NY we arent as ignorant about other teams as some fans of other teams can be

you expect calloway to make your staff better. we already learned that as a manager he was incompetent much like Eppler is proving to be

the only reason I suggested Happ was because looking at your rotation I figured he could help and wouldnt cost you anything but money

but youd rather have a staff with a guy who is coming off tommy John surgery and a bunch of #4 starters

Lmao you can’t be fucking serious. 

Is this asshole serious???

8 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

I’m seriously starting to think some of the posters here are either burner accounts of or getting paid by the front office or owners of this team.  The undying support for a GM who took a team 2 seasons removed from having the best record in the league with the best player in the game, and produced 4 straight losing seasons with seemingly no desire to fix the team’s biggest hole is mindboggling.  Eppler would have 0 support if this were the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or pretty much any team in the same size market as we are.  Yet people here are absolutely in love with him.  Really strange to see.

15 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I’m seriously starting to think some of the posters here are either burner accounts of or getting paid by the front office or owners of this team.  The undying support for a GM who took a team 2 seasons removed from having the best record in the league with the best player in the game, and produced 4 straight losing seasons with seemingly no desire to fix the team’s biggest hole is mindboggling.  Eppler would have 0 support if this were the Yankees, Dodgers, Mets, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or pretty much any team in the same size market as we are.  Yet people here are absolutely in love with him.  Really strange to see.

To be fair, he inherited a team that has maxed out it's payroll, he couldn't pick the manager or any of the dugout staff, still had to have Stoneman and Reagins on staff, not his choice, and absolutely no farm system to speak of beyond Newcomb and Ellis, who he flipped for Simmons.

I do agree with you, that Eppler has received more excuses than any GM should've been given. But the farm system has been rebuilt, which is nice. But we needed more than just a farm director. 

This really should be good make or break year. He needed to do more with the rotation and has failed, so far. The market has run dry and now Eppler has put himself into an awful spot. Either way it seems the Angels are screwed.

1. If Eppler does nothing, they get close to the WC, but still don't win and he gets fired, as the should be.

2. Eppler pays a moderate price for a mid rotation starter, and the Angels probably soon a WC2 spot and nothing else.

3. Eppler sacrifices the farm for a front of the rotation starter. The Angels have a world series contender, but bloated payroll and a dark devoid of top end talent. Not dissimilar to Dipoto.

8 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

In 2014, we had the worst farm system in the league, a lineup featuring Hamilton, Freese, Pujols, and Ianetta, and a rotation with a guy who throws 75 now, two guys that got TJ within the past two years, a guy who races cars now, and a guy who died.

We were in play for a wild card spot last season after the all star break. Our best pitcher died and one of our two all-stars broke his leg.

If our pitching is as dog shit as every says it is, the only way we’d fix it in FA would have been dropping $70-75 million a year of Wheeler and Cole. If our pitchers don’t step up next season, we are DOA anyway. Teheran and Bundy would have been our two best pitchers last season if you only count half their innings from last season. Our bullpen was pretty good until they got overworked. We are adding 250-300 IP from starters so that’s going to make the bullpen better.

You’d only be happy if we signed Hamilton or traded for Wells again.

Come on, man. Trout was on the team in 2014. Pujols, while he's been an underachiever since he's been here, was actually productive in 2014. Ianetta was solid at the plate in 2014. Got on base at a good clip. The amount of support that Eppler still gets is stupid. This guy has not done jack since he's been running the show. No postseason appearances at all. What happens if he does the Angels miss the playoffs again in 2020? Give him another year? Bunch of idiots. If this clown was running the show for another team like the Yankees, the fan base would be calling for his head already. 

4 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Come on, man. Trout was on the team in 2014. Pujols, while he's been an underachiever since he's been here, was actually productive in 2014. Ianetta was solid at the plate in 2014. Got on base at a good clip. The amount of support that Eppler still gets is stupid. This guy has not done jack since he's been running the show. No postseason appearances at all. What happens if he does the Angels miss the playoffs again in 2020? Give him another year? Bunch of idiots. If this clown was running the show for another team like the Yankees, the fan base would be calling for his head already. 

Glad to see you completely missed the point. 2014 had nothing to build on besides Trout.

15 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

None of what you typed about 2014 means anything to the Eppler regime, since he took over after the season of 2015 and his first season was 2016.  So what happened in 2014 has zero bearing.