• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

YOU Build the 2020 Angels // YOUR Offseason Plan

totdprods

By no means do i think this can or will happen but hell, this is what I'd like to see.

Sign Cole 7/245

Sign Strasburg 5/180

Sign Maldonado 1 to 2 years at 1 to 2 mil per

Trade Simmos, Canning, Marsh and another prospect to the Mets for Thor.

I don't care who my 5th or 6th starters are as my rotation now revolves around Cole, Strasburg, Thor and Ohtani.

Hey it can happen!

At the rate currently being speculated for Gerrit Cole, I am moving on from him.  If his price comes down, I'd obviously jump back on the Cole train.

Sign:  Wheeler 4/72 - average of 18 million a year
Sign:  Odorizzi 4/40 - average of 10 million a year
Sign:  Hamels 2/30 - average of 15 million a year 
Sign:  Grandal 3/57 - average of 19 million a year

Rotation:  Ohtani, Wheeler, Hamels, Odorizzi, Canning and Heaney

Edited by VariousCrap

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

At the rate currently being speculated for Gerrit Cole, I am moving on from him.  If his price comes down, I'd obviously jump back on the Cole train.

This also potentially gives the Angels a ton of flexibility in trade talks involving really any young SP - the current wave and the next wave - for SP/hitting help in the next couple of years. Which is an interesting path. A lot of flexibility. 

Edited by totdprods

Well, my plan already went to shit if the costs are anywhere near what Bowden or the Athletic predict.  Im not sure i want to pay anyone else north of 30M. 
Would i rather have just Cole, or Wheeler AND Odorizzi with spare change?
We are in dire need of a true ace, no question, but i just dont think i can be ok with going that high on anyone not named Trout. 

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This also potentially gives the Angels a ton of flexibility in trade talks involving really any young SP - the current wave and the next wave - for SP/hitting help in the next couple of years. Which is an interesting path. A lot of flexibility. 

If the Angels came away with something like Ryu, Wheeler and Odorizzi, I would be ecstatic. 

Wheeler and Odorizzi alone wouldn't be enough. I'm not sure Hamels would be either. His second half numbers were awful, and his numbers in the AL West look rough.

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

Well, my plan already went to shit if the costs are anywhere near what Bowden or the Athletic predict.  Im not sure i want to pay anyone else north of 30M. 
Would i rather have just Cole, or Wheeler AND Odorizzi with spare change?
We are in dire need of a true ace, no question, but i just dont think i can be ok with going that high on anyone not named Trout. 

I think that "ace" is more important in the post-season - but gotta get there first.  And yeah, these contract estimates are eye-watering.

I think what @totdprods proposed above - Wheeler, Odorizzi, Hamels, and Grandal - or some (endless) variation thereof - can get us closer to that post-season.

But that's not my point - if Boras strings us along until March - and then Cole signs with some other club - and we're holding our dollars back in hopes of signing him, we'll have gotten nothing.  All those guys will sign elsewhere long before then.  And we'll have passed on them, reserving our budget for Cole.  

We can't let all of our plan b's sign elsewhere pursuing the big dog - we may need to cut bait on him early.

15 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I think that "ace" is more important in the post-season - but gotta get there first.  And yeah, these contract estimates are eye-watering.

I think what @totdprods proposed above - Wheeler, Odorizzi, Hamels, and Grandal - or some (endless) variation thereof - can get us closer to that post-season.

But that's not my point - if Boras strings us along until March - and then Cole signs with some other club - and we're holding our dollars back in hopes of signing him, we'll have gotten nothing.  All those guys will sign elsewhere long before then.  And we'll have passed on them, reserving our budget for Cole.  

We can't let all of our plan b's sign elsewhere pursuing the big dog - we may need to cut bait on him early.

So we could get Kawhi'd? 😞

23 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I wholly agree on this, we cannot get strung out.    We need to do what we need to do, if Cole chooses to play that game he knows we wont based on our history.  If we get the impression hes going that route, move on, dont get played against others, and do it publicly.  If he wants to be here, get it done Boras or no Boras. 

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, Vladdylonglegs said:

DON’T pay Cole for his decline.

DON’T extend washed up Simmons. 

DO trade Trout for everything you can possibly get. Although they probably have already blown their chance as Trout is 4 years away from being the worst contract in baseball. If nothing else, trade him to unload his contract for the rebuilding years. Only throw in $50M if it comes with a huge return.

Finally start the rebuild which should have started 10 years ago.

Does the Miguel Cabrera trade from the Marlins to the Tigers ring any bells?    The trade where only Andrew Miller truly worked out, and that was after the Marlins traded him away?

Trading Trout should not even be in anyone's mind, because of that.  

On 11/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, AngelStew43 said:

Still a K per inning, pitching for the offensively challenged Giants.  I'd rather pay him than the injury prone Heaney.

Then you'd be throwing money away.   

OPS allowed on the road last year was .840.   Road ERA was 5.29.   It's not an isolated incident either -- in 2018 he posted a road OPS over .800 and an ERA of 4.97.   There are a lot of red flags.

His decline has been masked by his home park and pitching in a league where pitchers get at least two at bats...

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Coming around now to Cole, Wheeler, and Gomes; and buying out Kole

Excellent pitching gets you to the post-season, AND wins post-season games.

Gomes can hit solidly enough (three straight .700+ OPS seasons), and is rock solid behind the plate.

Don't trade any key prospects, yet. 

Gomes just had his option declined. Was for $9 mil. Half of what Grandal is expected to get. Either Gomes or Castro fit in better financially, given how many holes the team has. And with Cole, Wheeler and Odorizzi all attached to QO’ers. Grandahl might also have a QO. They would set back the farm a year.

7 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Gomes just had his option declined. Was for $9 mil. Half of what Grandal is expected to get. Either Gomes or Castro fit in better financially, given how many holes the team has. And with Cole, Wheeler and Odorizzi all attached to QO’ers. Grandahl might also have a QO. They would set back the farm a year.

No, since he received the QO last offseason, he couldn't get one again this offseason.  

On 11/2/2019 at 8:52 AM, Vladdylonglegs said:

DON’T pay Cole for his decline.

DON’T extend washed up Simmons. 

DO trade Trout for everything you can possibly get. Although they probably have already blown their chance as Trout is 4 years away from being the worst contract in baseball. If nothing else, trade him to unload his contract for the rebuilding years. Only throw in $50M if it comes with a huge return.

Finally start the rebuild which should have started 10 years ago.

This is easily the worst post I’ve ever read on this site; very poor attempt at trolling

Edited by failos

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There are People who think it’s a gamble to pay what the market dictates for the best pitcher in the league.  Those same people aren’t going to allow themselves to enjoy what he brings to the team regardless because they’ll be waiting for his decline. He can have four amazing years, win a couple Cy Young awards and in year 5 or 6 if he has a high 3 ERA those people will shit on his contract. 

9 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

No, nobody would do that. 

14 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

So Trout will be worth $35,000,000/yr at 38 years old?

Any questions?  

On 11/4/2019 at 9:31 AM, VariousCrap said:

Damn dude, if this happens I'll be super stoked! Well done.

I would be bummed not getting Cole, but this is a great alternative in adding three quality arms and a big bat that also improves an incredibly weak spot on our roster.

Since Maldonado was Gerrit Cole's personal catcher and he caught Shohei Ohtani in his rookie campaign, why not sign both Maldonado and Castro (a great defensive catcher in his own right) to platoon at the position this season?

Maldonado seems to have a great working relationship with Cole too. So maybe signing him first would be good?

https://nypost.com/2019/10/06/gerrit-cole-shows-just-what-can-be-done-with-a-personal-catcher/

Pitch framing is where it's at yo! This little blurb on Castro from MLBTR:

"Castro’s defensive value is primarily driven by his pitch framing, as his career caught-stealing rate is roughly in line with the league average. His blocking numbers, per Baseball Prospectus, took a nosedive this season, although perhaps that’s to be expected in his first year back from knee surgery.  The 32-year-old missed almost all of 2018 due to a torn meniscus in his right knee and ended up ceding about half the playing time in 2019 to Mitch Garver, who had a breakout year for the Twins."

I'm telling you guys, Stassi is going to hit .230 with some pop. It won't be game changing type of production, but it will be better than it was. And Kevan Smith before injury was a stud at the plate, though left some to be desired on defense.

I don't think catching will be good, but I think it will be better than it was last year.