• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

YOU Build the 2020 Angels // YOUR Offseason Plan

totdprods

2020Offseason.jpg

I know, I know. We've had prediction threads, we've had offseason wishlist threads, we've had what you want to see happen, what you think we'll see. Almost every thread recently has devolved into an 'offseason plan' thread at some point.

But what I'm hoping for this thread though is actually for the time being, no discussion, no debate, no arguments for or against, just a very simple list what you would do this offseason if you were GM in a quick, easy format.
I've included some of my reasoning and justifications, but utilized the 'spoiler' feature to keep those items hidden and to keep things concise.

The idea being we can revisit this later and discuss midseason/next offseason, I'm sure @Lou will help us all remember, and see how things went. 

Payroll Limits:
To keep things semi-realistic, we'll assume the Angels have about $145m committed following the recent guys who were cut. This figure takes into account:

• Guaranteed contracts
  • $1m Kole Calhoun buyout (if you want to keep him, just add his salary back into the figure)
  • arbitration projections (Bour, Garcia, Trop are already removed)
  • minor league salaries for players not on the 40-man
  • benefits
  • salary for pre-arbitration players

The big unknown is we don't know how high Arte will lift payroll, but let's set a fairly high number as our 'limit' - around $195m/$200m - something that is unlikely, but not outside the realm of possibility. 
Arte's comments and hiring of Maddon and Callaway hint that he's fully intent on going for it this offseason, so we'll stretch this out to something pretty high to account for his penchant for big, expensive surprises. 

• 1: Sign SP Gerrit Cole - 7/$245m - back-loaded, 2020 salary at $25m
  • 2. Sign C Jason Castro (or a non-tendered Mike Zunino) - 2/$12m
  • 3. Trade RP Cam Bedrosian ($3m) and SP Andrew Heaney ($5m) to Chicago for SP Jose Quintana ($11.5m) - adds $3.5m
  • 4. Sign IF Mike Moustakas - 2/$22m
  • 5. Sign LHP Cole Hamels - 1/$10m
  • 6. Extend SS Andrelton Simmons - 4/$40m, saving $5m from '20 payroll, as it renegotiates his '20 salary. Or, call it 5/$50m if you feel adding three years is too short.
  • 7. Sign RHP Brandon Kintzler - 1/$5m
  • 8. Trade 2B/OF Jahmai Jones and IF/OF Taylor Ward to Miami for RHP Elieser Hernandez 
Spoiler

• Total payroll: ~$200m
    • Angels add 3 SPs who threw 525 IP in '19 in Cole, Hamels, and Quintana - two of which depart next winter allowing room for AAA options or another strong SP class
    • Angels essentially replace Kole Calhoun's offensive and defense production in the form of Mike Moustakas, who can capably handle 3B, 2B, or 1B as needed.
      • Moustakas' presence also eases all the pressures of needing Rengifo, Thaiss, La Stella, Walsh, Pujols to produce at or better than they did in '19.
    • Take a flier on Brandon Kintzler. Good luck!
    • Exchange two 'prospects' who don't really factor into future plans for a versatile, controllable, optionable, cheap arm in Hernandez.
      • Hernandez can slot into bullpen, rotation, or multi-inning relief, valuable since similar arms (Pena, Cole, Ramirez, Peters) are out-of-options.

• Rotation (5): G. Cole, Hamels, Ohtani, Quintana, Canning 
    • #6 SP will rotate between AAA SPs and Felix Pena as needed.
  • Bullpen (6): Robles, Buttrey, Middleton, Anderson, Kintzler, Pena
    • final bullpen spots a battle between out-of-options arms like T. Cole, Peters, Mejia, Jewell, and Ramirez
  • Lineup (9): Fletcher 2B, Trout CF, Ohtani DH, Upton LF, Moustakas 3B, Pujols 1B, Simmons SS, Goodwin RF, Castro/Zunino C
  • Bench (5): Stassi/Smith C, La Stella CIF, Rengifo UT IF, Cozart UT IF, Hermosillo OF
    • That's 24 spots accounted for, with two bullpen spots open on the new 26-man roster.
  • AAA Rotation: Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Gohara
  • AAA Bullpen: Bard, Rodriguez, Ortega, Madero
  • AAA Depth: Thaiss, Wong, Walsh, perhaps Rojas and Bemboom, eventually, Adell, maybe Marsh.

While the rotation doesn't add the sexiest names, it adds a lot of quality innings. In my plan, the Angels also address potential risks at infield and catcher. The big thing I focused on in here was financial flexibility, much like Eppler has done every year. 
The Angels barely touch their farm system in this scenario, allowing young players to serve as depth while continuing to develop and push for playing time as the year goes on, with numerous spots on the 25-man opening up in the rotation and infield at the end of 2020. 

Another big plus to these short-term contracts is that it makes the amplified $200m budget a little more realistic to work with.

In addition, the numerous vets allow Eppler some flexibility to sell at the deadline - or at least trade surplus pieces in the rotation or infield should a need arise. With this set-up, the Angels are able to re-address any major needs again next winter, when Quintana, Cozart, Kintzler, and Hamels - almost $40m worth of salary. These arms can either be replaced by the Angels AAA rotation candidates, or the Angels can dip into yet another strong FA SP class.

Edited by totdprods

I've got payroll after guarantees, buyouts and arb guys at around $142.7M So i'll go off of that and assume your $200M budget opening.

I'm going along the lines that Arte says "We're winning these next few year while Maddon is the coach and screw the budget/future". YES I KNOW IT"S A TERRIBLE IDEA. Just having fun with this.

Gerrit Cole: 7yr/$224M backloaded, salary 2020 at $23M

2020 Payroll at: $165.7M

Zack Wheeler: 5yr/$85M ($15M, $17M, $17M, $17M, $19M)

2020 Payroll: $180.7M

Assuming Indians trade Lindor- Trade Simmons (-$15M) + Marsh + Suarez + Yan to Indians for Mike Clevinger (+$4.5M)

2020 Payroll: $170.2M

Rendon: 7yr/$217M backloaded, salary 2020 at $28M

2020 Payroll: $198.2M

Maldonado: 1yr. $2M. Then go for Realmuto next season

2020 Payroll: $200.2M

Rotation: Cole, Clevinger, Ohtani, Wheeler, Heaney, Canning. 

Lineup: Fletcher (SS), Trout (CF), Rendon (3B), Ohtani (DH), Upton (LF), Pujols (1B), Goodwin (RF), Maldonado (C), LaStella (2B).

When Adell come up:

Fletcher (SS), Adell (RF), Trout (CF), Rendon (3B), Ohtani (DH), Upton (LF), Pujols (1B), Maldonado (C), LaStellla (2B). 

So were assuming maybe 60M to spend, at most. 

The obvious...
Extend Simmons for another 2 years.  Trading for Lindor will cost too much to make sense in my view.
Sign Cole, mostly backloaded for post Pujols/Upton.  shoot for 25-30M AAV
Sign Wheeler.   You could reach for the moon and say Strasburg but i think we have other needs to take #1 and #2 off the board.  Hopefully no more than 15M AAV?  Or you could really go nuts and get all three and roll with the offense as it is sans Calhoun. 

Secondary
Sign Grandal or trade for a front line catcher.  Optionally bring back Maldonado.

Outside the box.
Sign Rendon.  Opens up options to trade some infield depth and solidifies the spot.  Optionally Moustakis but i think perhaps that time has come and gone, time to move on but if it could be had for lets say 2/22 or something, which i doubt... it might still make sense. 

All of that doesn fit money wise though so... probably just end up with the 2 pitchers and some smaller moving parts.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:
  • 1: Sign SP Gerrit Cole - 7/$245m - back-loaded, 2020 salary at $25m
  • 2. Sign C Jason Castro (or a non-tendered Mike Zunino) - 2/$12m
  • 3. Trade RP Cam Bedrosian ($3m) and SP Andrew Heaney ($5m) to Chicago for SP Jose Quintana ($11.5m) - adds $3.5m
  • 4. Sign IF Mike Moustakas - 2/$22m
  • 5. Sign LHP Cole Hamels - 1/$10m
  • 6. Extend SS Andrelton Simmons - 4/$40m, saving $5m from '20 payroll
  • 7. Sign RHP Brandon Kintzler - 1/$5m
  • 8. Trade 2B/OF Jahmai Jones and IF/OF Taylor Ward to Miami for RHP Elieser Hernandez 
  Hide contents

• Total payroll: ~$200m
    • Angels add 3 SPs who threw 525 IP in '19 in Cole, Hamels, and Quintana - two of which depart next winter allowing room for AAA options or another strong SP class
    • Angels essentially replace Kole Calhoun's offensive and defense production in the form of Mike Moustakas, who can capably handle 3B, 2B, or 1B as needed.
      • Moustakas' presence also eases all the pressures of needing Rengifo, Thaiss, La Stella, Walsh, Pujols to produce at or better than they did in '19.
    • Take a flier on Brandon Kintzler. Good luck!
    • Exchange two 'prospects' who don't really factor into future plans for a versatile, controllable, optionable, cheap arm in Hernandez.
      • Hernandez can slot into bullpen, rotation, or multi-inning relief, valuable since similar arms (Pena, Cole, Ramirez, Peters) are out-of-options.

• Rotation (5): G. Cole, Hamels, Ohtani, Quintana, Canning 
    • #6 SP will rotate between AAA SPs and Felix Pena as needed.
  • Bullpen (6): Robles, Buttrey, Middleton, Anderson, Kintzler, Pena
    • final bullpen spots a battle between out-of-options arms like T. Cole, Peters, Mejia, Jewell, and Ramirez
  • Lineup (9): Fletcher 2B, Trout CF, Ohtani DH, Upton LF, Moustakas 3B, Pujols 1B, Simmons SS, Goodwin RF, Castro/Zunino C
  • Bench (5): Stassi/Smith C, La Stella CIF, Rengifo UT IF, Cozart UT IF, Hermosillo OF
    • That's 24 spots accounted for, with two bullpen spots open on the new 26-man roster.
  • AAA Rotation: Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Gohara
  • AAA Bullpen: Bard, Rodriguez, Ortega, Madero
  • AAA Depth: Thaiss, Wong, Walsh, perhaps Rojas and Bemboom, eventually, Adell, maybe Marsh.

While the rotation doesn't add the sexiest names, it adds a lot of quality innings. In my plan, the Angels also address potential risks at infield and catcher. The big thing I focused on in here was financial flexibility, much like Eppler has done every year. 
The Angels barely touch their farm system in this scenario, allowing young players to serve as depth while continuing to develop and push for playing time as the year goes on, with numerous spots on the 25-man opening up in the rotation and infield at the end of 2020. 

Another big plus to these short-term contracts is that it makes the amplified $200m budget a little more realistic to work with.

In addition, the numerous vets allow Eppler some flexibility to sell at the deadline - or at least trade surplus pieces in the rotation or infield should a need arise. With this set-up, the Angels are able to re-address any major needs again next winter, when Quintana, Cozart, Kintzler, and Hamels - almost $40m worth of salary. These arms can either be replaced by the Angels AAA rotation candidates, or the Angels can dip into yet another strong FA SP class.

Extending Simmons would make the extension start in 2021. He is going to make $15 mil this season. So, There wouldn't be a $ 5mil savings in 2020.

3 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Extending Simmons would make the extension start in 2021. He is going to make $15 mil this season. So, There wouldn't be a $ 5mil savings in 2020.

His current salary can be renegotiated as part of the extension - or make it 5/$50m to include 2020. Angels did something similar with the Upton deal, I believe.

Love this thread.

1.  Sign Cole (7/245).  28mil in year 1.

2.  Sign Wheeler (4/80).  16mil in year 1.

3.  Sign Grandal (3/48).  16mil in year 1.

4.  Trade Simmons for a SP prospect (save 15mil).

5.  Sign Moose (2/22).  10mil in year 1.  (Or, if we want another SP, we can forego Moose and add Hamels at a similar cost.)

55mil added for next year.

Lineup: 2B LaStella, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, C Grandal, LF Upton, 3B Moose, RF Goodwin, 1B Thaiss/Pujols, SS Fletcher.   Once Adell is ready, he can slide into Goodwin's spot.

Bench:  IF Cozart, IF Rengifo, C Smith, OF Hermosillo, 1B/3B Thaiss

Rotation: Cole, Wheeler, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, with Sandoval/Barria/Suarez as depth

This is my dream offseason.  This team has an incredibly deep lineup and a "should be good enough" rotation, to go along with a strong pen.

So 50-55 million to play with. This isn't necessarily what I'd do, but it's an interesting game to play.

- Sign Hyun Jin Ryu: 3/70. Backloaded - 20, 25, 30.

- Sign Rich Hill 1/10. 

- Sign Michael Pineda 2/20. Backloaded - 5, 15

- Sign Yasmani Grandal 4/60

---------

Basically I just went the route of signing as many pretty good pitchers as possible without giving up a draft pick or international bonus slots.

Hill, Ryu and Pineda have all missed time, but they all have down the ability to pick exceedingly well when healthy. And it keeps the Angels from being locked into any long term contracts.

Ryu, Ohtani, Hill, Pineda, Heaney and Canning

Is everyone in agreement here it's Garrit Cole or bust?  And that's going to take 34m x 7 at least to get that done, dude was wearing a Boris cap 2 seconds after the Astros lost ffs.

Anyway, there's all the money we spent on 2 starters, a "closer", and a part time 1B last year, and the team still needs 2 pitchers and a catcher if it's going to compete (be a playoff team) next year.

I would try to Trade Calhoun for a #4/#5 type starter, release him if you can't. Move that money to the rotation. 

After that I know more what I wouldn't do more than I would do, I wouldn't invest in a FA infielder, I wouldn't go for more than one FA pitcher with draft compensation, I wouldn't extend Simmons until I see what he has this year. The easiest place to upgrade is pitching, so go all in there.

If Arte gives the OK to blow out Salary I'd ask Boras for a combo plate adding Keuchel or Ryu to Cole, then look for a bounce back guy like Porcello or Wood that at worst could give you 100-150 innings of not horrible pitching.  If the Astros do the fiscally smart thing and release Aaron Sanchez grab him and see if Calloway can fix his delivery.

After that I would hold on to prospects to fix holes at the trade deadline, pic up a reliever then if you need one, or a dominate starter if they become available, a first baseman if somone in this org has the stones to bench Pujols. 

This is my first post here, so please roast the F out of me

Assuming up to $55M to spend and the Angels can pick who they want. I won't speculate on contracts except years and 2020 salaries - but consider that they're back-loaded.

1. Sign Gerrit Cole: Seven years, $25M in 2020. 

2. Sign Zack Wheeler: Five years, $15M in 2020.

3. Sign Yasmani Grandal: Three years, $15M in 2020.

4. Try to turn some quantity into quality in some way: I won't offer specific trades, but try to trade players like Ward and Walsh for, say, a catcher or pitching prospect.

4. Pick-up some clean peanuts.

5. Other odds and ends.

There are plenty of other things that I'd try to do, but may or may not be possible. I'd hope that Zack Cozart has a good spring training and someone is interested enough to take him and $10M off our hands, saving ~$3M (at this point, his $12.67M salary is a total waste). I'd see if anyone is interested in Upton or Simmons, and kick the tires on one or two players as possible trade targets. Hand Upton a 1st base glove and ask him to be flexible for the sake of the team.

26-Man Opening Day Roster

Catchers: Grandal, Stassi.

Infield: Pujols, Simmons, La Stella, Fletcher, Rengifo, Thaiss, Walsh (also BP).

Outfield: Trout, Upton, Goodwin, Hermosillo.

Rotation: Cole, Wheeler, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning.

Bullpen: Robles, Buttrey, Anderson, Bedrosian, N Ramirez, F Pena, Peters or Cole.

That's 25, with the 26th being a rotating spot starter from the AAA depth: Sandoval, Barria, Suarez, Beasley, Gohara.

Great thread. My thoughts:

Sign Cole: 7/224 (back loaded to pay $27 mil in 2020)

Trade for Matthew Boyd or someone similar: $4 mil 

Sign Zack Wheeler:  5/110 (back loaded to pay $18 mil in 2020)

Sign a solid pen arm: 1/6.

Adds $55 mil, but doesnt do anything to address the offense, which i think needs help.

• 1: Sign SP Gerrit Cole - 8/$280m
  • 2. Sign C Yasmani Grandal - 4/80m
  • 3. Sign SP Zack Wheeler - 5/100m
  • 4. Sign Backup C Martin Maldonado - 1/2m
  • 5. Sign 1B Kole Calhoun - 3/18m
  • 6. Extend SS Andrelton Simmons - 5/$50m
  • 7. Have Goodwin/Adell cover RF; Keep Marsh/Hermosillo as OF depth at AAA
  • 8. Trade Jones, Ward, Thaiss for milb pitchers; Keep Walsh as 1B depth at AAA
  • 9. Make La Stella everyday 2B (Rengifo as UT INF)
  • 10. Make Fletcher everyday 3B

Rotation: Cole, Wheeler, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Sandoval

Bullpen: Robles, Middleton, Buttrey, Bedrosian, N Ramirez, Anderson, F Pena

Lineup: LaStella, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Grandal, Pujols/Calhoun, Simmons, Adell/Goodwin, Fletcher

Bench: Calhoun, Goodwin, Rengifo, Maldonado

13 pitchers plus 13 hitters = 26 players

Payroll = A TON

3 minutes ago, Chris said:
  • 1: Sign SP Gerrit Cole - 8/$280m
  • 2. Sign C Yasmani Grandal - 4/80m
  • 3. Sign SP Zack Wheeler - 5/100m
  • 4. Sign Backup C Martin Maldonado - 1/2m
  • 5. Sign 1B Kole Calhoun - 3/18m
  • 6. Extend SS Andrelton Simmons - 5/$50m
  • 7. Have Goodwin/Adell cover RF; Keep Marsh/Hermosillo as OF depth at AAA
  • 8. Trade Jones, Ward, Thaiss for milb pitchers; Keep Walsh as 1B depth at AAA
  • 9. Make La Stella everyday 2B (Rengifo as UT INF)
  • 10. Make Fletcher everyday 3B

Rotation: Cole, Wheeler, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Sandoval

Lineup: LaStella, Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Grandal, Pujols/Calhoun, Simmons, Goodwin/Adell, Fletcher

Wow. That’s the highest projection I’ve seen for Cole to date. I think if he gets 8 (possible, although I’m skeptical), he probably won’t get 35aav. The extensions to Kole and Simmons seem on the long side. And I doubt you get Maldonado for double that amount.