• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels focused on staying in Anaheim.

AngelStadiumAug142019EDIT-1170x658.jpg

“We are 100% focused on Anaheim,” Angels spokeswoman Marie Garvey said. “Long Beach is on the back burner.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-10-29/how-anaheim-might-help-pay-for-angels-stadium-development

Seems like the preference for the Angels is to remain in Anaheim. Which leaves two options for them... Build a new stadium or update the new one. I wouldn't mind them building a new one on the lot. 

How would you guys feel about a new stadium on the property?

I wouldn't expect them to say otherwise.  They're an Orange County team and talking about moving doesn't usually go over well with the current fan base.  I hope they stay and I'd be fine with a new stadium on the existing property or a major refurbishment of the existing one.  I think the current location works for people coming from every direction where as LB and some of the other places mentioned sound like a nightmare to get to/from.  

4 minutes ago, Blarg said:

It would cost over a billion to build a new one. Who picks up that tab?

Like other other buildings in the area. The owner. I don’t know if that question is real or not. You know most buildings are built by companies right? Arte is worth a lot of money has made a lot of money and I don’t know the financing he can get for it but it won’t be the city forking over a billion dollars I’ll tell you that much. He will either build that stadium himself or it won’t get done. I’ve dealt with the city in business deals previously. There’s zero percent chance the city will build him a stadium. 

7 minutes ago, True Grich said:

I'd like to see some better food options at the stadium and it would be great if they continued to develop the surrounding areas with better restaurant options.  I mean... do they really need more freakin' apartments?

I think there is more need for apartments than for a new stadium.... or virtually anything else in CA. Rents and home prices have gone up tremendously because supply has not kept anywhere near demand. As a  bonus as more people move in then more restaurants will follow. 

Just now, eaterfan said:

I think there is more need for apartments than for a new stadium.... or virtually anything else in CA. Rents and home prices have gone up tremendously because supply has not kept anywhere near demand. As a  bonus as more people move in then more restaurants will follow. 

I get it, but those apartments around the stadium can't be cheap, right?  I mean, I have no idea - I just assume they're "luxury dwellings"

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

I get it, but those apartments around the stadium can't be cheap, right?  I mean, I have no idea - I just assume they're "luxury dwellings"

You're probably right, but having luxury dwellings keeps those who can afford it from competing for non-luxury dwellings in the area. It just alleviates some pressure on the housing and rental markets. And as I said, as more people move into the area, more restaurant and entertainment options can sustain themselves. Instead of only a lunch business for the workers in the area and business on game nights, there will be 10,000 more people who live in the area who will support the businesses 365 nights a year.

Yeah, to be honest - I'm not going to be hanging out in Anaheim either... except to go to the games. It would just be nice to have a few more options within walking distance of the stadium for those rare occasions where I want to grab a bite to eat before the game or grab a meal after a Sunday afternoon game.

I think Arte would lean towards renovating the stadium since he put down $3M in video board updates. But damn I would love for them to build a new one. We have the 4th oldest stadium and it's not iconic like Fenway or Wrigley. Plus, a new stadium that is modernized with technology would be incredible. Would be awesome for Arte to work his business magic and surround Trout with the best players and the nicest field. And get rid of those boring uniforms. 

16 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think Arte would lean towards renovating the stadium since he put down $3M in video board updates. But damn I would love for them to build a new one. We have the 4th oldest stadium and it's not iconic like Fenway or Wrigley. Plus, “a new stadium that is modernized with technology would be incredible. Would be awesome for Arte to work his business magic and surround Trout with the best players and the nicest field.” And get rid of those boring uniforms. 

By the time this all comes to fruition Trout will be 38 years old. A new stadium is about an 8-10 year process. 

Other cities can try to lure Arte with land but getting voter approval for tax dollars for a stadium isn't going to happen.  Taxpayers have shown in the last so many years that they're done paying for stadiums because they don't have the economic impact that was once claimed.  The owners should foot the bill.

True Grich - it's happening. More entertainment (food and beverage) establishments are popping up year by year. In the last decade Noble Ale Works, Karl Strauss, and Golden Road have all opened up. Restaurants are coming in, too. The transportation hub will make it easier to get in and out (hopefully). It may take another 10-15 years, but I think it will happen. This isn't building a stadium downtown, this is building a downtown near the baseball stadium. It may take 60 or 70 years from the time the stadium was built, but Orange County and the stadium area specifically will reach a population density great enough to support a downtown like feel. 

3 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Other cities can try to lure Arte with land but getting voter approval for tax dollars for a stadium isn't going to happen.  Taxpayers have shown in the last so many years that they're done paying for stadiums because they don't have the economic impact that was once claimed.  The owners should foot the bill.

This.

When Irvine and Tustin turned down Arte his leverage was zapped. Long Beach is impractical, as has been pointed out by numerous posters in several "Long Beach" threads. Many teams are able to leverage the threat of moving into financial support from their current cities. Arte is already in the best situation possible. His only move would be cutting off his nose to spite his face at this point. Anaheim realized this and took a hard-line negotiating (as they should). I hope the Angels get a new stadium, but I hope Anaheim doesn't throw in one red cent. 

Why Arte can't move:

1. He's in the largest media market possible. He's not going outside the LA market.

2. He's not going to LA proper. They won't give him a better deal than Anaheim, at least not enough to worth risking the fanbase. 

3. Once Irvine and Tustin bowed out, there aren't places with large amounts of undeveloped land for a baseball stadium and surrounding developments. That's where the military bases were.

4. Transportation will not be as good anywhere else.

The Angels have the right fan base, and a stadium in the right location with the perfect degree of accessibility. 

They don't have to move.

But they do need a new stadium. The current stadium they play in is the second worst in the division, and likely the second or third worst in baseball. There's no sense of identity, the plumbing when it rains backs up, sewage spills into the concourses. The seating is too large and doesn't fit the current climate, and the field itself uses a stupid yellow line to identify a home run, which takes away the spectacle of the home run itself.

Angel Stadium needs to be tore down, completely gutted and rebuilt.

It should be made smaller, down to 25-30,000 seating attendance, the field made compete, so that a scoreboard isn't in the field of play and there isn't a stupid yellow line, and the areas outside the field of play should be made to celebrate, Southern California's natural resources, or at least perception. Orange groves, palm trees, sandy beaches etc...

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Angels have the right fan base, and a stadium in the right location with the perfect degree of accessibility. 

They don't have to move.

But they do need a new stadium. The current stadium they play in is the second worst in the division, and likely the second or third worst in baseball. There's no sense of identity, the plumbing when it rains backs up, sewage spills into the concourses. The seating is too large and doesn't fit the current climate, and the field itself uses a stupid yellow line to identify a home run, which takes away the spectacle of the home run itself.

Angel Stadium needs to be tore down, completely gutted and rebuilt.

It should be made smaller, down to 25-30,000 seating attendance, the field made compete, so that a scoreboard isn't in the field of play and there isn't a stupid yellow line, and the areas outside the field of play should be made to celebrate, Southern California's natural resources, or at least perception. Orange groves, palm trees, sandy beaches etc...

Yel that yellow line is freaking atrocious