• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blanton's pitching from a layman

Unfortunately, being on the east coast, I don't see the Angels as much as I'd like. I caught much of last night's game and I thought that Blanton, a few mistakes aside, looked pretty good.

What I would like to know from you is was this an aberration or is this his normal stuff which subsequently gets hit hard?

I saw an excellent curve, good mileage on the fastball and a sinker. With what I saw, it made me wonder why he's been so awful with us.

Unfortunately, being on the east coast, I don't see the Angels as much as I'd like. I caught much of last night's game and I thought that Blanton, a few mistakes aside, looked pretty good.

What I would like to know from you is was this an aberration or is this his normal stuff which subsequently gets hit hard?

I saw an excellent curve, good mileage on the fastball and a sinker. With what I saw, it made me wonder why he's been so awful with us.

big strike zone, bad opposing offense, and 3 hits that probably would have been home runs during the day. aside from that, sometimes pitchers come out of games relatively unscathed. is he going to give up 8 runs every start? no, but that doesn't mean he's a good pitcher.

Fun facts:

Blanton has allowed 100 hits this year, the most in baseball. The next worst is Vance Worley, with 82.

Blanton has allowed 153 total bases, the most in baseball. The next worst is CC Sabathia, with 130.

Blanton has also allowed the most extra-base hits in baseball, with 34.

So yes. it is safe to say that Blanton does consistently get hit hard.

Blanton's stuff isn't very good overall, but it's not horrid. 

To me, his biggest problem seems to be that he's around the plate too much and when he misses, he misses in the zone.  Usually up, and his ball flattens out.  Teams are generally going to square the ball up multiple times in any given start.  You just have to hope it stays in the yard. 

Thanks for the replies, but you two aren't answering the question. Is this how he generally pitches?

Have you seen his ERA?

It is pretty easy to deduce the fact that he doesn't usually pitch like that.  His pitches are very hittable, coincidentally he gives up a ton of hits.  Doesn't walk many batters, that is his only virtue.

I think the pitch to Cruz demonstrates how bad he's been all year. A 2-2 pitch should not be a fastball middle in on a righty, even against a guy who has been terrible this year. 

His stuff isn't completely terrible but his fastball is flat, curve ball is decent but inconsistent, sinker is alright. I think his best pitch is his change up but it doesn't seem like he uses it a lot and it misses location quite a bit.

But yeah, as others said, Blanton got lucky on a few fly outs and he faced a bad offense. 

This was indeed a normal outing for Blanton. Watching it a bit yesterday I see what everyone else is posting, he pounds the strikezone and hopes his defense saves him. He's also a flyball pitcher that throws strikes, he's going to get tagged often.

Doc gave a good example of what his pitches are doing and their mistakes.

He can get himself out of jams, but the opposing team makes contact too much to expect good results.

I think the pitch to Cruz demonstrates how bad he's been all year. A 2-2 pitch should not be a fastball middle in on a righty, even against a guy who has been terrible this year. 

His stuff isn't completely terrible but his fastball is flat, curve ball is decent but inconsistent, sinker is alright. I think his best pitch is his change up but it doesn't seem like he uses it a lot and it misses location quite a bit.

But yeah, as others said, Blanton got lucky on a few fly outs and he faced a bad offense. 

The pitch to Cruz was terrible. I think he got a bit impatient that he didn't bite at the two balls so he challenged him since he's been terrible this year. Didn't matter on the face of it since we weren't touching Ryu.