• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

Yes Gerrit, go pitch in NY where every pitch you throw will be under a scrutinized spotlight and also most of your starts will be in the friendly confines of Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park, Camden Yards, and Tropicana Warehouse. But you'll also get to pitch in Toronto....which is also a major hitters park.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, Calzone 2 said:

New York Post....

Some interesting takes.

1. Gerrit Cole (RHP, Age: 29): You grew up in Orange County (California, not New York) and now you receive an opportunity to return there and make gobs of money. Old people like me call this “a no-brainer.” Prediction: Los Angeles Angels, eight years, $280 million.

4. Zack Wheeler (RHP, Age: 29): Kudos to him for enduring great expectations, major injury setbacks and Mets organizational chaos. Now comes the reward. Prediction: New York Yankees, four years, $85 million.

8. Jake Odorizzi (RHP, Age: 29): The most unheralded pitcher of this top tier should get rewarded for his consistency. Prediction: Houston Astros, four years, $66 million.

15. Mike Moustakas (3B-2B, Age: 31): This marks his third straight foray into the open market, which has not been kind to him. Here’s betting on a little more kindness this time. Prediction: Los Angeles Angels, two years, $25 million.

21. Dellin Betances (RHP, Age: 31): That he appeared to straighten out his arm before his lower half gave out last September should help the drafted-and-developed Yankee. Prediction: Los Angeles Dodgers, two years, $20 million.

26. Yasiel Puig (OF, Age: 28): The best bet here to get a one-year deal, the optimal strategy to get the most out of the erratic, exciting talent. Prediction: Miami Marlins, one year, $7 million.

How about Wheeler, Odorizzi, Moustakas and some unspecified back-of-the-roation SP for some injury insurance?    The unspecified guy cannot be named Blanton.

That would:

1)  Have more impact than Cole.   He's a great pitcher in his prime right now.   But that alone isn't going to move the rotation from last place in the MLB to a rotation that can keep us in contention.

2) Spread the risk of injury around.    

3)  Leave room for other smaller moves.

4)  As this group comes off the books, we would have room to keep our youngsters who pan out and need to get paid.

5)  Not completely handcuff the team financially for seven or eight more seasons.     Wasting Trout's prime years makes me cry.

1 minute ago, Rally Gorilla said:

How about Wheeler, Odorizzi, Moustakas and some unspecified back-of-the-roation SP for some injury insurance?    The unspecified guy cannot be named Blanton.

That would:

1)  Have more impact than Cole.   He's a great pitcher in his prime right now.   But that alone isn't going to move the rotation from last place in the MLB to a rotation that can keep us in contention.

2) Spread the risk of injury around.    

3)  Leave room for other smaller moves.

4)  As this group comes off the books, we would have room to keep our youngsters who pan out and need to get paid.

5)  Not completely handcuff the team financially for seven or eight more seasons.     Wasting Trout's prime years makes me cry.

Gonna disagree with just about everything here. 

I don't believe Wheeler and Odorizzi are worth more than Cole, especially when we could realistically have Cole and Odorizzi.

I have no idea what you mean by "spread the risk of injury around".

It certainly might leave room for smaller moves, but how much impact will that have on the team, really?

Your 4th point doesn't make much sense because as of right now Adell and Marsh each have 7 years of control IF they debut in 2020 and reach rookie status.

Your last point is fine until you brought up "wasting Trout's prime years". Who is going to have a bigger impact over the next 4 years? Cole, or Wheeler? 

You're forgetting Pujols comes off the books in 2 years, and Upton in 3.

If you'd prefer Wheeler and others over Cole, I think that's perfectly reasonable. But if you think Cole isn't going to make a bigger impact over that same time frame then I don't really know what to say.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Gonna disagree with just about everything here. 

I don't believe Wheeler and Odorizzi are worth more than Cole, especially when we could realistically have Cole and Odorizzi.

I have no idea what you mean by "spread the risk of injury around".

It certainly might leave room for smaller moves, but how much impact will that have on the team, really?

Your 4th point doesn't make much sense because as of right now Adell and Marsh each have 7 years of control IF they debut in 2020 and reach rookie status.

Your last point is fine until you brought up "wasting Trout's prime years". Who is going to have a bigger impact over the next 4 years? Cole, or Wheeler? 

You're forgetting Pujols comes off the books in 2 years, and Upton in 3.

If you'd prefer Wheeler and others over Cole, I think that's perfectly reasonable. But if you think Cole isn't going to make a bigger impact over that same time frame then I don't really know what to say.

By "spread the risk of injury around," I mean that we would not be banking the teams next seven/eight  years on one pitcher's elbow.     If Wheeler or Odorizzi or some back-of-the-rotation guy goes down, we would still have some depth so we don't repeat last year's debacle.   And if all three of them suffer catastrophic career ending injuries  (which is much less likely than one guy suffering a career ending injury)....the grief only lasts four years or less instead of seven or eight years.   

Again, our rotation was the worst in the MLB last season.   A big part of that is we had to run out AAA+  (or sometimes just AAA) players due to a lack of depth to cover injuries.    Cole, by himself, doesn't solve that problem.   

I wasn't speaking of strictly just Adell and Marsh as young guys who we will need to pay at some point.   We're in trouble if that is the only talent we get out of the farm in the next seven years.    Also, some are projecting that Cole is going to get an eight year deal...meaning we could still be financially hamstrung just those guys hit FA.   

I am VERY upset that we have pissed away so much of the Supernaturals career already.    As far as impact, I think adding three SP at reasonable terms for four years is going to have a much greater positive impact on our team than signing one guy to HUGE money that runs for well past his expected prime.      

I'm not forgetting Pujols is coming off the books in 2 years.    Are you forgetting that his signing is a big part of the reason we were a .444 team in 2019?    Paying players into their late 30's based on their performance in their prime  is a desperation move that backfires more often than not.    At least Albert is a position player.     You really feel ok tying the team's future to a pitcher entering his 30's?    A pitcher than relies on a 97 mph fastball to succeed?    A pitcher that threw up some serious red flags about his maturity and judgement after game seven?

I said signing Wheeler, Odorizzi, Moustakas and a third lower priced SP would have more impact that signing Cole.     That's because our team's rotation is a mess.   We need depth more than anything.   If we already had a top flight rotation, then adding Cole would be about the only way to make an impact.     But we don't.     Again, we need to add as much quality depth as we can and then hope some guys we already bounce back seasons or step up to the next level....guys like Ohtani and Canning.      

If you keep misinterpreting the points I am making, then I don't really know what to say.   

Signing Cole might make sense for a team that already has a strong rotation and they are looking to take it to that next level.    That same team better have an owner that is willing to eat big contracts to keep the team in contention.    We have neither of those, so I think Cole would be a bad move for the team.

9 minutes ago, Lou said:

we should continue to sign crappy pitchers until we have a strong rotation.

oh wait . . . 

Wheeler and Ordorizzi are crappy pitchers and no other FA pitcher in the MLB could be a solid back-of-the-rotation guy to help with our lack of depth.   Our only salvation is to give huge $$$ to Cole and keep paying him that until he's 37.   He alone will make up for a rotation that was last in the MLB last season.

oh wait...

Just now, Rally Gorilla said:

Wheeler and Ordorizzi are crappy pitchers and no other FA pitcher in the MLB could be a solid back-of-the-rotation guy to help with our lack of depth. 

oh wait...

We have a F*ck-ton of depth. We have no quality. Which is where Cole comes in.

2 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Wheeler and Ordorizzi are crappy pitchers and no other FA pitcher in the MLB could be a solid back-of-the-rotation guy to help with our lack of depth.   Our only salvation is to give huge $$$ to Cole.   He alone will make up for a rotation that was last in the MLB last season.

oh wait...

lack of depth?

10 minutes ago, Lou said:

no.

when was the last time a team signed 3 of the top available free agents? it's not going to happen. at some point you have to be realistic.

Realism is good.    For example, I think expecting one guy to take a rotation from worst in the MLB to a contender is unrealistic.    As is ignoring that we'll be paying that same guy huge money to pitch  (or not pitch) through his age 37 season.

4 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Realism is good.    For example, I think expecting one guy to take a rotation from worst in the MLB to a contender is unrealistic.    As is ignoring that we'll be paying that same guy huge money to pitch  (or not pitch) through his age 37 season.

who said Cole should be our only move?

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

who said Cole should be our only move?

Not me!  If I though Arte would be ok paying for Cole, adding other quality position players and pitchers, paying the young guys as needed, and eating contracts that went bad......I'd be all for signing Cole!     But that is not how Arte runs his business.   He has said it himself in interviews.    To expect otherwise from him would be unrealistic.