• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

54 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I don't get the speculation about getting an infielder.  Do people forget Tommy La Stella is on the Angels?

Barring the trade of an infielder, the Angels aren't spending much on an infielder.

Maybe there's some skepticism about La Stella being able to replicate that level of offensive performance on an ongoing basis?  The power numbers (HRs) in particular are far above what he'd done before (yes, I know his swing changed--but we heard that about Cozart, too, and we know how that turned out...). 

I don't think INF is a priority for them, either--but something like a 2-year deal for Moustakas wouldn't be the craziest thing in the world, I guess?

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

Point 1

Hamilton was signed because Arte and Dipoto panicked when they saw that Albert wasn’t going to hit  like St. louis Albert and carry the team to another level. He jumped on Hamilton without checking the CarFax.

Point 2

Dipoto, Arte, Carpino not understanding what the market would be to extend Greinke was just another level of organizational stupidity. 

Point 3

You are correct because the Dodgers are in the National League so the Angels are completely irrelevant to them. They could care less about who we sign because we pose no threat to them. 

In 2012, Albert hit .285 .343 .859 OPS with 50 2B 30 HR 105 RBI 138 OPS+.  Despite it not hitting his career norms, Arte is not "panicking" at this point.  Hamilton, at 32, was signed to replace a 37 year old Torii Hunter (.313 .365 .817 OPS 16 HR 92 RBI 129 OPS+) in the line-up as Hamilton put up .285 .354 .930 OPS 43 HR 128 RBI 141 OPS+ the season before in TEX.  

The line-up was going to have Trout, Hamilton, Pujols, Trumbo, and Kendrick as muscle which might have succeeded if Pujols hadn't got injured missing 60+ games and Hamilton wilting.  

19 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Note the reply from Shaikin: The Dodgers will not be signing Cole. It. Will. Not. Happen. 

Probably not the Yankees either, although I’m not quite as bullish there, but is put it at a low 5% or less chance of happening. 

No Yankees, no Dodgers for Cole. I completely agree that those two teams have zero interest in Cole at the rumored price. That might force Boras to put Cole on hold if he gets lowball offers. 

Edited by Calzone 2

17 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

No Yankees, no Dodgers for Cole. I completely agree that those two teams have zero interest in Cole at the rumored price. That might force Boras to put Cole on hold if he gets lowball offers. 

The Angels will not wait on Boras and Cole and I hope they tell them as much. 

I'll say this though, Strasburg, Wheeler and others won't sign until Cole sets the market for top FA pitchers first, so I hope we get some quick action if Cole doesn't have many suitors. 

Basically the Angels just tell Cole and Boras that they'll make him the highest paid pitcher, besting David Price's contract (or was it someone else who was the highest paid arm?). 

Either way, I think this will move quickly. The Angels should sign both Maldonado and Castro to platoon at the position as they are both excellent pitch framers and between the two could easily pop over 20 HR's with nearly 60 walks -- something we haven't seen from a catcher in a very long time. 

3 hours ago, ScottT said:

I don't get the speculation about getting an infielder.  Do people forget Tommy La Stella is on the Angels?

Barring the trade of an infielder, the Angels aren't spending much on an infielder.

Rengifo, Thaiss, Cozart, and Simmons didn’t break a .700 OPS. Pujols only gets by due to some HRs. La Stella had a career year. 

Rengifo and Thaiss could be trade bait too.

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Angels will not wait on Boras and Cole and I hope they tell them as much. 

I'll say this though, Strasburg, Wheeler and others won't sign until Cole sets the market for top FA pitchers first, so I hope we get some quick action if Cole doesn't have many suitors. 

Basically the Angels just tell Cole and Boras that they'll make him the highest paid pitcher, besting David Price's contract (or was it someone else who was the highest paid arm?). 

Either way, I think this will move quickly. The Angels should sign both Maldonado and Castro to platoon at the position as they are both excellent pitch framers and between the two could easily pop over 20 HR's with nearly 60 walks -- something we haven't seen from a catcher in a very long time. 

What concerns me is if Boras and Cole are set at 8 years *and* the aav high (around 34 currently on longer term deals) and refuse to budge off either until January or later when they end up backing down because no one will give both. 

5 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

What concerns me is if Boras and Cole are set at 8 years *and* the aav high (around 34 currently on longer term deals) and refuse to budge off either until January or later when they end up backing down because no one will give both. 

Cole’s rumored asking price may just be a bunch of artificially inflated poppycock by Boras and his media minions. Something to write about doesn’t necessarily make it true. 

Once again, if the heavy hitters like the Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs, Cardinals or Red Sox aren’t involved, the Angels may not have to give him 7-8 / 245-285.

35 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Don’t discount the possibility that there will be teams involved whose sole agenda is inflating Coles number.  This is a real strategy.  Teams will do it. 

The Yankees approach has always been to lay low and tell the agent to go ahead and shop but, “before you’re ready to sign, come see us”

The Dodgers won’t engage if they’re focused on other free agents. 

47 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

The Yankees approach has always been to lay low and tell the agent to go ahead and shop but, “before you’re ready to sign, come see us”

Remember that story about the dodgers being butt hurt that the Angels wouldn’t let their minor league team come out to Ventura or whatever.  The Dodgers are a hostile organization.  So are the Rangers and Astros.  Of course the Yankees.   Everyone plays the game man.  

49 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I’m so sick of hearing about that shit with the Yankees like they get a final say with every FA LOL 

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Remember that story about the dodgers being butt hurt that the Angels wouldn’t let their minor league team come out to Ventura or whatever.  The Dodgers are a hostile organization.  So are the Rangers and Astros.  Of course the Yankees.   Everyone plays the game man.  

I think all that stuff is overrated. The fans don’t like each other but the players are a brotherhood. 

3A320928-F366-46BD-9B6C-D84BBCADF9F1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

how do you have room in you butt for all of the bullshit you pull out of it.  

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

In the end, I suspect that our biggest competitor will be the ol "mystery team" that always randomly surfaces and, likely, virtually never exists, lol.  But you know Boras - he'll pull out all the stops to make us (and whoever else is bidding) feel the urgency to up the ante.

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

In the end, I suspect that our biggest competitor will be the ol "mystery team" that always randomly surfaces and, likely, virtually never exists, lol.  But you know Boras - he'll pull out all the stops to make us (and whoever else is bidding) feel the urgency to up the ante.

The Angels have turned out to be the mystery team more than once.

7 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

New York Post....

Some interesting takes.

1. Gerrit Cole (RHP, Age: 29): You grew up in Orange County (California, not New York) and now you receive an opportunity to return there and make gobs of money. Old people like me call this “a no-brainer.” Prediction: Los Angeles Angels, eight years, $280 million.

4. Zack Wheeler (RHP, Age: 29): Kudos to him for enduring great expectations, major injury setbacks and Mets organizational chaos. Now comes the reward. Prediction: New York Yankees, four years, $85 million.

8. Jake Odorizzi (RHP, Age: 29): The most unheralded pitcher of this top tier should get rewarded for his consistency. Prediction: Houston Astros, four years, $66 million.

15. Mike Moustakas (3B-2B, Age: 31): This marks his third straight foray into the open market, which has not been kind to him. Here’s betting on a little more kindness this time. Prediction: Los Angeles Angels, two years, $25 million.

21. Dellin Betances (RHP, Age: 31): That he appeared to straighten out his arm before his lower half gave out last September should help the drafted-and-developed Yankee. Prediction: Los Angeles Dodgers, two years, $20 million.

26. Yasiel Puig (OF, Age: 28): The best bet here to get a one-year deal, the optimal strategy to get the most out of the erratic, exciting talent. Prediction: Miami Marlins, one year, $7 million.

So I have an idea:

How about we don't sign Moustakas, and sign Wheeler instead? If Wheeler gets 21+ AAV, then backload that shit so he makes $18 million in 2020. Cole makes $25 million. That's $43 million.

Arte you Yacht riding F*ck, you CAN do this. Just do it.

do it fire GIF

11 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

So I have an idea:

How about we don't sign Moustakas, and sign Wheeler instead? If Wheeler gets 21+ AAV, then backload that shit so he makes $18 million in 2020. Cole makes $25 million. That's $43 million.

Arte you Yacht riding F*ck, you CAN do this. Just do it.

do it fire GIF

I am firmly of the belief that the team needs to get both Cole and Wheeler. Both should be considered must signs.

15 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Don’t discount the possibility that there will be teams involved whose sole agenda is inflating Coles number.  This is a real strategy.  Teams will do it. 

Also a Boras strategy - there's always some mystery team offering "more", breathlessly reported by, of course, Jon Heyman.  

I dunno what really happens in those conversations - seems an agent would stop dealing with a GM who makes offers in bad faith.