• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

3 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Hamilton was a rebound signing? We never bid on Greinke. There was no bidding war that I recall. 

Also, the Dodgers aren’t signing Cole. They don’t go long on years anymore. 

How many times are you going to tell yourself the Dodgers aren't in on Cole before you actually believe it? All the big market teams are going to be in on Cole and even some small market teams like the Padres. Cole is going to get paid like no other pitcher before him. All the big market teams can use a legit ace in his prime. Dodgers are not excluded from that. I don't know if it's you don't want to believe the Dodgers are in on him or if it is just you only think the Angels are in on him but be prepared for rumors and rumors galore before he signs. 

Very interesting.

Cole also refuted the assumption that he would prefer to play for a West Coast team. Before the American League Championship Series against the Yankees, Astros outfielder Josh Reddick had mentioned that Cole, a Southern California native, “probably wants to be closer to home,” and “it’s definitely going to be west of Nevada.”

“No, that’s not a fair assumption,” Cole said Thursday. “I never said that.”

27 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Very interesting.

Cole also refuted the assumption that he would prefer to play for a West Coast team. Before the American League Championship Series against the Yankees, Astros outfielder Josh Reddick had mentioned that Cole, a Southern California native, “probably wants to be closer to home,” and “it’s definitely going to be west of Nevada.”

code for:  I'll go where they pay me the most.  

which I don't have a problem with frankly.  This is his one shot to get his best deal.  Some might assume that when you're making 200 mil an extra 20-30 mil ain't a big deal, but it is.  That's generational money.  I am sure that someone in Boras office is reminding him that if he took that 20 mil and stashed it for 20 years at 5% interest, it would be worth 53mil.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

code for:  I'll go where they pay me the most.  

which I don't have a problem with frankly.  This is his one shot to get his best deal.  Some might assume that when you're making 200 mil an extra 20-30 mil ain't a big deal, but it is.  That's generational money.  I am sure that someone in Boras office is reminding him that if he took that 20 mil and stashed it for 20 years at 5% interest, it would be worth 53mil.  

9A0BFABE-79D6-4FC2-AE0A-3BF1024558D2.jpeg

300D2FEE-E3A2-4A8E-AF07-147FCC090AAC.jpeg

1C5CDAEF-2130-4392-AD25-2D18C2918259.jpeg

8 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

Very interesting.

Free agency, when we parse the words of everyone ad nauseum and 99% of the time the player just takes the most money.

I hope he signs with the Angels, and I do believe the Angels have an advantage in luring him being his home town team, Mike Trout, Maddon, and money, but if they can't offer him the most then chances are he wont sign.

15 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

9A0BFABE-79D6-4FC2-AE0A-3BF1024558D2.jpeg

300D2FEE-E3A2-4A8E-AF07-147FCC090AAC.jpeg

1C5CDAEF-2130-4392-AD25-2D18C2918259.jpeg

Sign Cole and Bumgarner and trade for Willson Contreras 

The Cubs are going to trade someone this offseason and they’ll need a CF for the future. A package around Marsh could intrigue the Cubs who are looking to cut costs. 

Contreras is 4 years younger than Grandal and has a great relationship with Maddon.

If structured right we could still have enough room for Hamels 

6 minutes ago, nate said:

Free agency, when we parse the words of everyone ad nauseum and 99% of the time the player just takes the most money.

I hope he signs with the Angels, and I do believe the Angels have an advantage in luring him being his home town team, Mike Trout, Maddon, and money, but if they can't offer him the most then chances are he wont sign.

I'm kinda glad that Cole is reminding us that he's a Boras client and that playing out west isn't preordained.  

He's gone into business mode very quickly (as he should) because every team/owner/GM is doing the same.  

It's a good reminder to us as fans that even though we are emotional about the process, neither side doing the negotiating is or at least they shouldn't be.  

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

I like the plan but do you really think the Cubs would trade Contreras? He has three more cost controlled years.

They need to break up their payroll logjam - Contreras is going to start becoming increasingly expensive, they have Caratini in-house as a cheap and potentially very good replacement, and are in dire need of some prospects/salary relief. 

Definitely not guaranteed to be dealt, definitely won't come cheap, but there is sound reasoning behind dealing him. 

Comparing to the Realmuto package - Realmuto has better defense, almost identical offensive production, but had one less year of control - the cost was an MLB-ready top catching prospect who had lost some shine, a consensus Top 25 SP prospect, a solid SP prospect without much fanfare, and $250k international slot money. The Angels could probably put something together, especially if they expand the deal to help the Cubs shed some salary, either by way of (in order of believability) Quintana, Darvish Chatwood, Morrow, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Heyward...

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They need to break up their payroll logjam - Contreras is going to start becoming increasingly expensive, they have Caratini in-house as a cheap and potentially very good replacement, and are in dire need of some prospects/salary relief. 

Definitely not guaranteed to be dealt, definitely won't come cheap, but there is sound reasoning behind dealing him. 

Comparing to the Realmuto package - Realmuto has better defense, almost identical offensive production, but had one less year of control - the cost was an MLB-ready top catching prospect who had lost some shine, a consensus Top 25 SP prospect, a solid SP prospect without much fanfare, and $250k international slot money. The Angels could probably put something together, especially if they expand the deal to help the Cubs shed some salary, either by way of (in order of believability) Quintana, Darvish Chatwood, Morrow, Hendricks, Kimbrel, Heyward...

Plus, Cubs No 1 prospect is a catcher. Contreras could be expendable 

1. Miguel Amaya, catcher

Amaya, ranked as the Cubs’ top prospect by MLB Pipeline, has also made the cut on a few overall top 100 prospect lists:

No. 94 on MLB Pipeline’s top 100 prospects.

No. 91 on Keith Law’s (ESPN) list of top 100 prospects

No. 89 on John Sickels’ (The Athletic) list of top 100 prospects

No. 73 on Fangraphs' list of Top 100 prospects

Amaya just missed the cut on the Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus' lists. He’s MLB Pipeline’s seventh ranked catching prospect and he’s the youngest receiver of the catching top 10 (he turns 20 on March 9).

Thanks @winhalos, forgot about that. 

Obviously, the Halos don't have a Top 25 SP prospect they could give up - Canning would be closest and I imagine he's near untouchable - but the Cubs have some need for young cheap pitching, second base, and outfield. Not to mention the ability to eat some salary, which hopefully brings the value going back down some, depending on what salary is absorbed by the Halos.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Obviously, the Halos don't have a Top 25 SP prospect they could give up - Canning would be closest and I imagine he's near untouchable - but the Cubs have some need for young cheap pitching, second base, and outfield. Not to mention the ability to eat some salary, which hopefully brings the value going back down some, depending on what salary is absorbed by the Halos.

Like you've pointed out, I think we match up well with the Cubs. Give them some salary relieve and we can pick up some pieces to our puzzle.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I don’t want to completely derail this thread but the Cubs need for a 2B led me to thinking about Fletcher...

Yes I know it would be an extremely unpopular move but as mentioned we do have a little depth in the infield. I realize it’s taken us since forever to finally find someone like Fletcher who can play 2B and 3B but his value is extremely high right now..

I realize I’m going to get hammered for bringing his name up but it’s something different than sitting here with our dicks in our hands refreshing Twitter every 2 seconds in hopes of reading between the lines on a new Gerrit Cole quote.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

I don’t want to completely derail this thread but the Cubs need for a 2B led me to thinking about Fletcher...

Yes I know it would be an extremely unpopular move but as mentioned we do have a little depth in the infield. I realize it’s taken us since forever to finally find someone like Fletcher who can play 2B and 3B but his value is extremely high right now..

I realize I’m going to get hammered for bringing his name up but it’s something different than sitting here with our dicks in our hands refreshing Twitter every 2 seconds in hopes of reading between the lines on a new Gerrit Cole quote.

Joe Maddon says no! Maddon likes his Fletcher. Like he liked his Zobrist. 

10 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

It’s not crazy - but I think Fletcher is sticking around here, barring an incredibly big move for a SP in which the Angels have no choice but to part with him.

Rengifo would be attractive to the Cubs, as would Marsh, Suarez, Sandoval, even Barria. The Cubs also want to compete in 2020 still, which actually helps the Angels flip focus to guys like Rengifo over someone like Marsh. I feel like if we pull a Cubs vet SP back in the deal too, we can certainly part with one of Suarez, Sandoval, or Barria too.  

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Miguel Amaya is only 20 and still in A+ ball. He needs to progress through the system. I don't see him in the majors until 2022.

I know the Cubs are up against the cap but Wilson Contreras will only make a projected $4.5 M. 

I just don't see the Cubs dealing him this offseason.

Caratini steps in now with a cheap vet. Amaya comes along when Caratini starts wrapping up. 

And Contreras is only $4.5m now, but they're already tight, and he'll only get progressively more expensive. 
Darvish at $22m, Hendricks at $12m, Quintana at $11.5m, Chatwood at $13m, Morrow at $12m, Kimbrel at $16m, Heyward at $21m...if using Contreras' value helps them shed any of that, in any way, it's a big win for them, especially considering the prospect talent they'll still get back and the state of their farm. 

He won't come cheap, but he could certainly be on the shopping block and the Halos/Maddon would be a perfect suitor.