• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

On 11/8/2019 at 10:28 PM, Sean-Regan said:

Re: The Dodgers

9B8CF27C-6D12-4214-A996-181876DE32FC.jpeg.a46d2cb2e1612d6477d80bceac1ea342.jpeg

I’ve been saying this for awhile. Shaikin agrees.

actually, I am somewhat surprised  that there are not more teams taking this approach,  The huge long term mega contracts tend to burn more teams than help them -- but I guess when they get it right it leads to championships and a period of dominance in the league -- that's what keeps the owners willing to pony up the big dollars.  

looking around MLB it appears to be going the same way that some folks say our society is going/ headed -- a few elite stars with mega multi-year contracts,  a big fall off to the everyday player and then the MLB minimum.

no more 'middle class' represented in MLB as the 6-8 year MIF type veteran with a $8 million per year contract,

these guys help win titles (Howie Kendrick for example) but the economics of MLB are pushing them out fast making them nearly extinct on MLB rosters.  Instead they want a young prospect, preferably with some college ball experience, they can place on the roster, pay the MLB minimum and have under 'club control' for 4 to 6 years.

and looking around the stands in MLB games, one wonders how much longer owners will be able to pay out the type of contract Cole is said to be demanding,

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I literally have no idea what point Duquette is trying to make here.

It is retarded.  From what I gather I guess he’s saying it’s impossible that Arte will work with Boras ever again on account of the Texiera thing.  That even tho literally 30 seconds earlier he talks about a similar situation with Angelos and now they’ve done business AND they talk about how a deal with Harvey just got done.  

i mean he thinks he won’t sign here, that’s fine but these reasons are nonsense. 

54 minutes ago, True Grich said:

This is the one thing I saw that Boras said today that concerns me. I don’t believe the Yankees or Dodgers or Astros will offer close to what we would be willing to offer in terms of money, so it doesn’t concern me that much. The playoff teams in general are either overextended or don’t have that much money to spend. I just wonder if Cole looks at our 90 losses and thinks, “They’re going nowhere.”

39 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s just posturing man.  Everything both sides say is BS.  The good news is that they’ve obviously engaged in talks. 

But saying teams that don’t win enough aren’t going to get Cole seems to suggest current playoff teams have an advantage. Most things he says are designed to get himself more money. The only ways I can make sense of that one is, 1) If you want him to sign with you, you'd better be prepared to spend on more players (a disproportionate amount of whom have Boras as an agent, or 2) If your team sucks, it’ll cost you more to sign him. Edit: I guess 3) would be countering the Yankees narrative that he doesn’t want to play in New York. 

He’s of course angling for more money. 

- Comes out that they had a meeting

- Gerrit doesn’t care about geography 

- Gerrit cares very much about “winning” 

weird how he’s dismissing the perceived favorable points for the Angels and pumping up the issues.  Very convenient. 

Edited by UndertheHalo