• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What If Cole Is Too Expensive?

VariousCrap

We all want Cole and it can be argued that no team needs Cole more than the Angels do, but what if Eppler decides Cole's price is just too damn high?  There are other ways to go.

Would you be content if the Angels ended up signing Wheeler, Ordorizzi and Grandal instead of Cole?

Or

Would you be content if the Angels ended up signing Wheeler, Ordorizzi, Hamels and a catcher like Maldonado?

While I believe this is the season Arte needs to go the Dodger route and exceed the competitive balance tax to address every need this team has to make them competitors in 2020; the chances of him actually doing that are most likely very low.

Refusing to overpay for Cole in the same decade they overpaid for Pujols, Hamilton, and Upton would depress me. I would try to convince myself to be be happy with either of your alternate scenarios, but I know I would be disappointed. Especially when Cole then ends up with the Dodgers or Yankees. 

I prefer not to overpay for Cole, and use that money to sign Wheeler, Odorizzi, and a 5th starter/bullpen help. Cole’s contract will end up being the next one that sandbags the team in it’s latter years. We have had enough of that. 

26 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

I prefer not to overpay for Cole, and use that money to sign Wheeler, Odorizzi, and a 5th starter/bullpen help. Cole’s contract will end up being the next one that sandbags the team in it’s latter years. We have had enough of that. 

That mentality will mean never signing any major free agent again even if they are completely worth it.  At Cole's current age, even if he signed a seven year deal, you have to figure he will be produce like a top of the rotation type of guy for at least five of those years.  He isn't Hamilton or Pujols.

33 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

Yeah hopefully Arte never signs an impact free agent ever again.

Hamilton and Pujols both had things to be concerned about with long term deals.   

Hamilton showed signs of regressing to his former ways in his later Texas days.   

Pujols has always had that exaggerated crouch at the plate, which combined with his weight = bad knees and feet waiting to happen. 

Cole has a solid delivery and health, and no real prior health/injury issues.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I think Cole is a tremendous talent. He’s the best pitcher in baseball. I just find it odd that he would openly tell the media that he wants to play on the west coast while he was participating in a serious championship run with the Astros. I just think he should’ve waited until after the playoffs were over before talking about his desired location. It’s kinda disrespectful to the Astros fan base IMHO. 

2 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I think Cole is a tremendous talent. He’s the best pitcher in baseball. I just find it odd that he would openly tell the media that he wants to play on the west coast while he was participating in a serious championship run with the Astros. I just think he should’ve waited until after the playoffs were over before talking about his desired location. It’s kinda disrespectful to the Astros fan base IMHO. 

Cole hasn't openly said anything. His teammates did. And Fletcher did.

5 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

We all want Cole and it can be argued that no team needs Cole more than the Angels do, but what if Eppler decides Cole's price is just too damn high?  There are other ways to go.

Would you be content if the Angels ended up signing Wheeler, Ordorizzi and Grandal instead of Cole?

Or

Would you be content if the Angels ended up signing Wheeler, Ordorizzi, Hamels and a catcher like Maldonado?

While I believe this is the season Arte needs to go the Dodger route and exceed the competitive balance tax to address every need this team has to make them competitors in 2020; the chances of him actually doing that are most likely very low.

Arte should match every offer for Cole + 5%, must sign Cole.

Would you be content if the Angels ended up signing Wheeler, Ordorizzi and Grandal instead of Cole? NO!

NO!

Cole, Wheeler, and Grandal would be acceptable to me..

Strasburg, and Cole would be acceptable to me.

They have plenty of room to sign Cole.  The question is, beyond Cole, how much more is Arte willing to spend?

I suspect in the end, we'll see two significant moves, like Cole + Wheeler or Cole + Ryu.  I'd love Grandal too, but I doubt he'll spend what's needed for 3 moves (Cole, Wheeler, Grandal would probably cost 70mil AAV combined or so).

The Angels have failed to produce an ace.  They need one.  Aces cost a shit load.  I can accept them losing out on him but I’m not going to be butt hurt about them signing and doing what they have to in order to.   

that all said, I’d they signed like Wheeler and Odorizzi I think that’s still a good haul.  They’ll be back in the ace market again tho.  

also, I sincerely don’t see Martin Maldonado moving the needle in any meaningful way for the team.  Pointless. 

the Angels can afford Cole.  

if you can afford 6/180, then you can afford 7/210 or even 7/231

It's not about affording it.  It's about accepting the consequences in year 7 instead of having the contract done after 6.  You know you are going to have to go at least 6 for him.  If you even bother with 5, you're stupid.  If you're worried about how that 37m of backloaded salary to a 35yo pitcher will impact your 2026 season then you shouldn't be trying to get Gerrit Cole.  

And he's not overpaid if the market determines his worth.  At least not yet.  We have no idea if he'll be overpaid until the contract is done.  Was Scherzer overpaid?  

If someone comes in at 40m per then let someone else pay that.  But if he's at 30-33 per year or so, or maybe even a little more, then have at it and worry about 2026 a few years from now.  

Also, would you spend an extra 3m per year on Cole in order to keep from having to trade Marsh for a pitcher?