• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Third starter or legit upgrade at catcher?

Docwaukee

A third starter or a legit upgrade at catcher?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. what is your choice

• Third starter
    • Legit upgrade at catcher

Let's say the the Halos went out and got Cole as well as another capable starter.  

At that point, would you rather see them add an additional starter or someone like Grandal?  

Personally, I would choose Grandal and it would somewhat depend on who that 2nd starter ended up being.  But I think I would prioritize and upgrade at catcher over a third arm for the rotation.  

I’d choose three starters.  We need quality depth in the rotation and you literally can’t win without quality major league pitching.  Catchers have value on both sides of the ball, so if you can’t get offense from one you can probably get away with a really good defensive catcher, basically what they expect Stassi to be. 

You can get offense from 8 other guys on the team, so if your catcher isn’t hitting but is solid defensively then so be it.  You only get pitching from the dude on the mound and we need as many of those guys, with good stuff, that can take the ball every five or six days as we can get our hands on.  

I think the chances of us signing one of the big free agent pitchers are very good.  I think the chances of us signing two of them are decent at best.  I think the chances of us signing three of them are non-existent.  Now if you're talking sign/trade for 1/2, then yeah, sign another pitcher.  If we sign two upper-tier pitchers, then there won't be enough money left to get Grandal.  

So I guess what I'm saying is, we're stuck with Stassi so get as much pitching as we can.  And how do people feel about Kevan Smith?  His hitting was decent, or very good if you're an Angels catcher.  How's his defense?

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

How bout Shoemaker as the 3rd arm which gives you possibly enough to upgrade at catcher as well.  

I would definitely like to seem them grab someone like that regardless.  

9 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I take the starters all day. Catchers are just too iffy for me. They take too many days off and their value seems to vary so much by the year. Plus, there are catchers like Navarez and Garver that come out of the wood works. This team needs starting pitching bad.

I just don't feel like this is true.  Or I guess I should say that I feel like it happens with pitchers way more often.  

1 minute ago, RBM said:

I think we need three SP's but why can't we also upgrade at catcher.

I would still be ecstatic if we ended up with Cole, Wheeler and Grandal.

But I would be happier with Cole, Wheeler, Hamels and a lesser upgrade at catcher - d'Arnoud, Castro, McCann, Chirinos.

I'd be happy with that as well. 

Though they might be able to get Cole, Wheeler, Grandal and say a Matt Shoemaker or Michael Pineda who started flashing his electric stuff then got suspended. Has to serve the remaining 39 games, but we could get him in early May and I think we can sign him for relatively cheap. 

McCann retired.

But it is a good point: there are a half dozen or so decent catchers available. But I don't think it is a choice between a third starter and what kind of catcher, but how good of a second starter and catcher.

So it might be:

Cole, Odorizzi/Hamels, Grandal or 

Cole, Wheeler, Castro/d'Arnaud/Avila/Cervelli/Chirinos