Sign in to follow this  
Ron Mexico

Angels intrested in Mickey Callaway

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

Reasonable. I still stand by my original statement (with an amendment for clarity): The Angels didn’t look like the best team in the regular season, but were a bit fortunate, especially in the playoffs.

This is an altogether different argument and I wouldn't have really taken issue with it..  This is also what I mean when I say usage played a significant role.   The offense was batting average driven (which is unreliable ie. "lucky"), it didn't walk but it also didn't K...   As such it tended to lend itself to spurts of offense and then once the pen emerged any lead became difficult to overcome.   Over the course of 162 games it was more about usage than luck.   

As far as the postseason goes...  Luck is always a factor.  

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is an altogether different argument and I wouldn't have really taken issue with it..  This is also what I mean when I say usage played a significant role.   The offense was batting average driven (which is unreliable ie. "lucky"), it didn't walk but it also didn't K...   As such it tended to lend itself to spurts of offense and then once the pen emerged any lead became difficult to overcome.   Over the course of 162 games it was more about usage than luck.   

As far as the postseason goes...  Luck is always a factor.  

Can we get back to not being civil?

You're ruining my jam.

18 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Ooh, I forgot about how late Frankie showed up. He was an elite closer masquerading as a setup guy. That made a huge difference. Probably what won them the postseason, tbh. 

So the usage played a role eh?

30 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

He was a huge part in it. But again, donnelly, too was a beast, good enough to close. 

The whole pen was filthy.

I honestly always looked at that as our own moneyball. When teams were still chasing top named SPs to try to win. We saved money by creating this monster pen.

All we needed was 6 innings, quality start. If we went to the 7th with a lead, it was a wrap.

Donkey especially dominated in the WS that year.    Seven and 2/3 innings in 5 appearances, ONE hit allowed (although also 4 BBs), ZERO runs allowed.

So in order to not be lucky in the post season you need to not only have the best numbers but the best analytical numbers and the best results.  So if you win 99 games and win the World Series you are lucky.  I agree often with Sean Regan, but he is overstating a really dumb premise here.