• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros Payroll

Docwaukee

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

the Angels.  

We might not like it in years 6 and 7.  But I think he'll be one of the best pitcher in baseball for 3 years and very very good for years four and five.  

Paying a true ace is the best bet on the FA market if their is one.  Sample size is a problem because there are so few that become available but I think the halos need to take that bet.  They recently missed on one in Greinke.  Sabathia was solid and he was fat.  Cliff Lee was very good.  Greinke was excellent.  Lester was good.  Scherzer was amazing.  Price was meh and probably the worst of the bunch but I have to wonder if part of that was a product of him being in Boston.  

I like the odds though.  

This is my feeling as well.  It was mentioned upthread as well about risk management, etc.  The Astros, as good as they are, can avoid the risk of signing a SP to a 7 year contract because they are very well-positioned on the whole and don't need to take that risk.

We, however, are in a different position, and (unfortunately) do need to take on the risk of this contract.  We have SP in the pipeline, but it's a few years away and we have some very significant holes in our rotation.  So, the hope is we can get an elite SP for 3-4 years or so in Cole, then after that, hope he doesn't fall apart too much.  Hopefully, by the time Cole starts declining, we'll have a pipeline of cheap, SP talent that can come up and start taking over, which in turns makes it easier for us to "carry" Cole's contract at that point.

23 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This is my feeling as well.  It was mentioned upthread as well about risk management, etc.  The Astros, as good as they are, can avoid the risk of signing a SP to a 7 year contract because they are very well-positioned on the whole and don't need to take that risk.

We, however, are in a different position, and (unfortunately) do need to take on the risk of this contract.  We have SP in the pipeline, but it's a few years away and we have some very significant holes in our rotation.  So, the hope is we can get an elite SP for 3-4 years or so in Cole, then after that, hope he doesn't fall apart too much.  Hopefully, by the time Cole starts declining, we'll have a pipeline of cheap, SP talent that can come up and start taking over, which in turns makes it easier for us to "carry" Cole's contract at that point.

I personally think it's because they're out of money and they would absolutely try to bring him back if they could afford to.  They actually do kinda need him if they want to continue to be a juggernaut and complement that incredible lineup for the next few years.  

And I think by adding Greinke they kinda sealed their own fate in that regard.  Get that third guy for a playoff run, but add a huge chunk of payroll for the next three years.  I don't think they get to the WS if they don't have Greinke.   But in doing so they took away a major path to retain Cole and stay as good in 2021 (or even 2020) through 2024.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I personally think it's because they're out of money and they would absolutely try to bring him back if they could afford to.  They actually do kinda need him if they want to continue to be a juggernaut and complement that incredible lineup for the next few years.  

And I think by adding Greinke they kinda sealed their own fate in that regard.  Get that third guy for a playoff run, but add a huge chunk of payroll for the next three years.  I don't think they get to the WS if they don't have Greinke.   But in doing so they took away a major path to retain Cole and stay as good in 2021 (or even 2020) through 2024.  

Yeah, I agree, in that losing him will certainly hurt their team a bit.  Then again, when you win 107 games, you probably can afford to lose a few extra games.

I do think they are banking on Whiteley taking a leap forward next year to somewhat help fill that void.  Obviously would be remiss for them to be in Cole's caliber, but he is considered a top 10 prospect in the game.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Astros re-sign Cole - 'great move for them.  shows how smart they are and how their ownership is willing to do what it takes to win.  Angles need to be more like the Astros.'

Yankees sign Cole - 'great move for them.  shows how smart they are and how their ownership is willing to do what it takes to win.  Angels need to be more like the yankees.'   

Angels sign Cole - 'We overpaid.  Smart teams like the Yankees and Astros wouldn't do something like that.  Angels need to be more like them'  

Someone else signs Cole - 'Yankees and Astros were smart not to have overpaid for Cole.  *a couple of posts later* - Angels and Arte are too cheap to do what it takes to be a winning franchise.' 

Spot on...

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, I agree, in that losing him will certainly hurt their team a bit.  Then again, when you win 107 games, you probably can afford to lose a few extra games.

I do think they are banking on Whiteley taking a leap forward next year to somewhat help fill that void.  Obviously would be remiss for them to be in Cole's caliber, but he is considered a top 10 prospect in the game.  We'll see.

yeah.  He's a HUGE piece for them.  If he develops into the ace everyone thought he'd be a couple years ago then they are still pretty set.  But no doubt there have been some cracks shown in his game.  

I still think there is a good chance Greinke shows his age next year and starts to fall off a cliff.  Verlander I just don't know.  He could be one of those guys who stays strong till he's almost 40.  I hope not.  But they have to be a little worried about their pitching.  

The other component will be a couple other young guys who haven't done much yet but still have good arms and good stuff like Josh James, Cionel Perez, and Framber Valdez.  They all still have pretty good upside and at least one of them will probably become very good.  It could be another one of those 'how do they keep doing this' type situation.  

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Are you really expecting anything else?   

If they don't spend it's memes of Eppler begging Arte for money.  If they do spend -- then it's not about money. 
If a guy is going to to be a FA then the talk is how Arte is too cheap to get involved or the guy will go somewhere else because XX reason.   Insert yacht jokes and talk about Yankee mystique whenever possible too.
But if a guy is being heard to say he wants to play on the West Coast and the Angels are his first choice then it's "who's gonna be the team to overpay".   

Clowns gonna clown, nothing new here.

scary movie clown GIF

• nate changed the title to Astros Payroll
3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Astros re-sign Cole - 'great move for them.  shows how smart they are and how their ownership is willing to do what it takes to win.  Angles need to be more like the Astros.'

Yankees sign Cole - 'great move for them.  shows how smart they are and how their ownership is willing to do what it takes to win.  Angels need to be more like the yankees.'   

Angels sign Cole - 'We overpaid.  Smart teams like the Yankees and Astros wouldn't do something like that.  Angels need to be more like them'  

Someone else signs Cole - 'Yankees and Astros were smart not to have overpaid for Cole.  *a couple of posts later* - Angels and Arte are too cheap to do what it takes to be a winning franchise.' 

Angels sign Cole to a reasonable contract - He must have elbow issues

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

if the angels sign him, it's WHEN not IF he'll need TJS.

wait, that's probably true.