• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros Payroll

Docwaukee

1 hour ago, RBM said:

You're right, they are jammed up. Fangraphs has them at $230 M without adding anyone. It will be interesting to see how they handle the offseason.

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/astros

Theyll add harvey and somehow not only get him to pitch well, but also drop the doosh.

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And this is something people need to realize. Fans, media, etc.

Arte is RICH. Rich people still dont like losing money. Any more than you or I do.

Hamilton, CJ Wilson, Wells and Pujols werent cheap. They were like a boat.... fun when you bought it, had tons and tons of problems, finally sold it at a loss. And your wife and kids keep telling you to buy a new one.

Again, Im all for him spending this winter. Its time. But people need to cut some slack on why he hasnt spent his way out of this the last few years.

Something tells me Arte considers Pujols to have been a worthwhile investment.

Roughly 9 WAR the first five years, -2.5 the next three. Two left. Even using WAR’s $ value quite liberally, he’s been essentially a total bust. 

If you argue that his experience and clubhouse presence is worth something, it still falls far short. 

Hamilton somehow managed 2.5 WAR in 2 years, which is more than I remembered. Wells got about .5 WAR total in two seasons. That was an absolute disaster. 

GM Jr actually ended up negative in value over his three years here. 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Something tells me Arte considers Pujols to have been a worthwhile investment.

He was the truck that hauled the boat. So even after the boat died, the truck still had a use.

But it also had cloth seats, and its a truck so he didnt wash it all the time. So now theres a fart smell from the drivers seat that you cant ignore. 

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

Roughly 9 WAR the first five years, -2.5 the next three. Two left. Even using WAR’s $ value quite liberally, he’s been essentially a total bust. 

If you argue that his experience and clubhouse presence is worth something, it still falls far short. 

Hamilton somehow managed 2.5 WAR in 2 years, which is more than I remembered. Wells got about .5 WAR total in two seasons. That was an absolute disaster. 

You're right, but I'm guessing Arte has no idea what WAR is.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

If the Astros win the WS ... they will pull out all the stops to resign Cole imo

Not a chance. It’s called risk management. They’re already spending more than they likely feel comfortable with. No way they add a 7 year contract to a pitcher. 

Its a few years old, but the maxim still stands: 5 year or longer contracts to pitchers are a bad idea. You only break that rule when you’re desperate. Winning the WS is the opposite of desperate. They have a stacked farm system, they don’t need to spend. Smart play for the long term is keep your inexpensive assets and let someone else pay Cole and give you a nice draft pick to do it. 

They will not make a serious effort to keep him. 

8 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Not a chance. It’s called risk management. They’re already spending more than they likely feel comfortable with. No way they add a 7 year contract to a pitcher. 

Its a few years old, but the maxim still stands: 5 year or longer contracts to pitchers are a bad idea. You only break that rule when you’re desperate. Winning the WS is the opposite of desperate. They have a stacked farm system, they don’t need to spend. Smart play for the long term is keep your inexpensive assets and let someone else pay Cole and give you a nice draft pick to do it. 

They will not make a serious effort to keep him. 

their farm isn't that good.  it's avg at best and like the halos, it's bottom heavy after the greinke trade.  Their lineup is still loaded but their pitching isn't great.  We know they're a really smart team.  What would make them exceptionally smart is to trade Springer for a near major league ready pitcher or two.  I hope they don't have that level of discipline.  That would be scary.  Essentially though, I agree with you.  

15 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

If you had to bet ... who signs him?

the Angels.  

We might not like it in years 6 and 7.  But I think he'll be one of the best pitcher in baseball for 3 years and very very good for years four and five.  

Paying a true ace is the best bet on the FA market if their is one.  Sample size is a problem because there are so few that become available but I think the halos need to take that bet.  They recently missed on one in Greinke.  Sabathia was solid and he was fat.  Cliff Lee was very good.  Greinke was excellent.  Lester was good.  Scherzer was amazing.  Price was meh and probably the worst of the bunch but I have to wonder if part of that was a product of him being in Boston.  

I like the odds though.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Not so subtle narrative change forming in this thread. 

Are you really expecting anything else?   

If they don't spend it's memes of Eppler begging Arte for money.  If they do spend -- then it's not about money. 
If a guy is going to to be a FA then the talk is how Arte is too cheap to get involved or the guy will go somewhere else because XX reason.   Insert yacht jokes and talk about Yankee mystique whenever possible too.
But if a guy is being heard to say he wants to play on the West Coast and the Angels are his first choice then it's "who's gonna be the team to overpay".   

Clowns gonna clown, nothing new here.

10 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

I'm gonna echo AJ and say Arte probably doesn't give a shit about WAR. Pujols has been a marketable asset to him and the "milestones" sell tickets. I'm sure he's disappointed he paid $240 million for what Pujols has brought to the field, but ultimately I think he'd do that deal again.

Remember how casual fans in So Cal are. Most of them barely know who Trout is. They go to see Pujols rise up the HR ladder and occasionally hit a beach ball. Or they sell their tickets to opposing team's fans. Either way Arte makes money.

22 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm gonna echo AJ and say Arte probably doesn't give a shit about WAR. Pujols has been a marketable asset to him and the "milestones" sell tickets. I'm sure he's disappointed he paid $240 million for what Pujols has brought to the field, but ultimately I think he'd do that deal again.

Remember how casual fans in So Cal are. Most of them barely know who Trout is. They go to see Pujols rise up the HR ladder and occasionally hit a beach ball. Or they sell their tickets to opposing team's fans. Either way Arte makes money.

not to derail a thread I started, but I believe Albert had some influence on Trout's decision to stay an Angel for his whole career.  

32 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

i agree.i don't think Arte cares much about WAR. He cares about AIS (asses in seats)