• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB looking to restructure all of minor league baseball

Second Base

Proposed plan will eliminate 1/4 of all minor league teams, move minor league affiliates to be geographically closer to the parent club, and improved pay for athletes.

Players at the lower levels and undrafted free agents would be grouped together into a dream league, which would serve as proving grounds for teams to sign these guys.

The gist of it sounds like in order to improve pay for minor leaguers, they're going to get rid of 25% of current minor leaguers. And all those college seniors that are drafted as depth fodder so they can have a minor leagues will just be out into one division where they have to prove their way into affiliated ball.

1 hour ago, fanfromday1 said:

Just wondering, does anyone know what minor league players get paid at different levels? (A, AA, AAA, etc.). And do Host Families get some sort of financial assistance?

In the late 80's A ball $1300.00 a month. Host family made $250.00 per month. (Room and board) I ate breakfast with them and Sunday night meal when we were in town. 

I've had a few of my former players get drafted. I never ask them about money. I know what the basic round breakdown is.

There were a couple guys making 2100.00-2800.00 per month they were the former AAA dudes or high draft picks that flamed out.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

Players at the lower levels and undrafted free agents would be grouped together into a dream league, which would serve as proving grounds for teams to sign these guys.

I wonder which franchises will have the upper hand in signing the best players.

What a stupid idea.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Just based on what i read, it looks as though the minor league franchisees won't be able to change their association with MLB teams every 2 years, as is currently. If i was a Milb franchise owner, that would really piss me off. 

Those teams are also going to be asked to pitch in more money.....  So, goodbye cheap minor league entertainment for some of those cities.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

How do you believe this will help MLB evolve?   It honestly just seems to be a way for them to make more money, gain more control over the product.

If it brings teams closer to the actual fan bases maybe people will wanna go see a minor league game because they know who’s playing and they root for said major league club. If it streamlines stuff a bit more maybe it’ll be easier to follow. Right now there’s what 15 minor league divisions players have to rank up? I know it’s not that much but u get my point. The easier something is to follow the easier it is for the common fan. Also players making more money in the minors is a better way to attract better athletes to your sport imo. 

2 hours ago, Kevinb said:

If it brings teams closer to the actual fan bases maybe people will wanna go see a minor league game because they know who’s playing and they root for said major league club. If it streamlines stuff a bit more maybe it’ll be easier to follow. Right now there’s what 15 minor league divisions players have to rank up? I know it’s not that much but u get my point. The easier something is to follow the easier it is for the common fan. Also players making more money in the minors is a better way to attract better athletes to your sport imo. 

I think it likely drives people away more than brings them closer, and for the fans of teams that lose their affiliation it likely creates a bigger void.   I'm sure MLB, will try to paint this as an attempt to improve conditions and pay for minor leaguers but that's a sham.  It's a power play.  They are trying to wrestle greater control from minor league teams and at the same time push more of the costs onto them.

I'm not seeing any next step move here for anyone other than the monolith that is MLB.  Baseball has been actively working to cut costs in the minors for years now.  Teams are limited on how much they can spend both in the draft and internationally, now they are looking to cut out 42 teams their staffs, the players...  It's an evolution alright but one that only really serves to line the pockets of ownership and doesn't really improve the game any.

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think it likely drives people away more than brings them closer, and for the fans of teams that lose their affiliation it likely creates a bigger void.   I'm sure MLB, will try to paint this as an attempt to improve conditions and pay for minor leaguers but that's a sham.  It's a power play.  They are trying to wrestle greater control from minor league teams and at the same time push more of the costs onto them.

I'm not seeing any next step move here for anyone other than the monolith that is MLB.  Baseball has been actively working to cut costs in the minors for years now.  Teams are limited on how much they can spend both in the draft and internationally, now they are looking to cut out 42 teams their staffs, the players...  It's an evolution alright but one that only really serves to line the pockets of ownership and doesn't really improve the game any.

I think the consequences of this shake up would be far reaching. In the draft, there really wouldn't be there cheap college senior route in the mood rounds anymore with the dream league effectively removing the risk for teams going that route. Now they'd use those picks on high schoolers that would normally go in the later rounds that would otherwise be college bound.

And if they're cutting teams, I'm wondering if it simply becomes rookie ball, A Ball, AA, AAA. Which means teams would likely opt to keep many players in Arizona and the Dominican Republic, and players likely wouldn't promote nearly as quickly without middle steps like Orem and Advanced A Ball.

With less teams, they'll likely shorten the draft by several rounds at least, creating less supervisor for the Michael Hermosillo type of players, unless take drafted them in the middle rounds.

I wonder how many college players would choose another career path rather than play in the dream league... Players that otherwise would've surprised and made the majors. Jared Walsh types.  And with the recent restrictions on two way players, and a more competitive minor league environment, I think you can forget about teams getting creative and experimenting with as many position changes or trying to play both ways. 

I'm not resistant to change, it just sort of seems like these changes are more driven by control and money and less by actually improving the system. 

Edited by Second Base

I do have some ideas on how I'd restructure the minor leagues though.

First, is start by expanding the Dominican academy system. No more "trainers", and no more individual academies, instead, one academy for all Latin American players. The academy takes players in at 14, but as late as 18, and starts preparing them for life abroad and baseball. Players can start getting in the academy games at age 16, and stay at the academy until 18. Then, instead of an international signing period, we have an international draft. Players can't be drafted out of these academies until age 18, but the idea is that as soon as they are drafted, they'll be able to jump straight into rookie ball stateside because many will have had 4 years worth of education on how to conduct themselves in America and how to speak the language. And for the kids that don't get drafted, at the very least, they'll have received free education and living expenses.

Second, I actually like the idea of this dream league as a proving grounds for college seniors. But make selection based on invite and tryout only. Not just anybody can get into this league. It removed a lot of the risk major league teams take in signing these guys.

Third, I'd get rid of the high rookie leagues. With a dream league in function, there's no real use in having a Pioneer League.

Fourth, I'd expand teams active rosters from 40 to 50 and get rid of AAA and basically make it the "practice squad" for the major league team. Meaning the 25 players that aren't on the 25 or 26 man active roster are the only ones that can play on this team. If a player isn't on the active roster, than they have to play in AA or lower. These practice teams would still travel around and play on other practice teams, but they're all be based out of areas that are within 100 miles of the parent club, making the interchanging of players from the practice team and major league team very seamless.

I agree with the sentiment that this is a crock of crap.  This is 100% all about money.  

I completely agree that the facilities need to be better and the players should make more money.  But if they are going to cut the total number of players in order to make up that cost then they are just doing it wrong.  

The impact on the college game will be huge.  As Scotty mentioned, the entire draft will be teams going after high schoolers instead of college kids and these high school kids will be be more inclined to take a lesser bonus and sign with a major league club than go to college and risk injury or just not being good enough.  The college pool of players will get substantially diluted.  I can't imagine that college baseball teams make a ton of money but I am now thinking it's more than we realize.  

This could truly end up as a tremendous showdown between mlb and the NCAA. 

I would like to see geographic realignment though.  That makes sense.  

Also, every major league team should have the same number of minor league affiliates with minimum standards as far as pay and conditions are concerned.  The cost/expense or if it ends up being a profit center should all go into a pool and paid as a portion of whatever revenue each team earns ie it's prorated.  

They would absolutely need to go to a foreign draft.  Frankly, I'd like to see one draft.  No more international illegal bullshit.  Time to blow the lid off that crap.  

I actually like the idea of a dream league but those players would absolutely have to be part of a supplemental draft.  Without question.  There are gonna be dozens of players every year that will be somewhat sought after.  If a team can just throw money at them it would be a joke.  

22 hours ago, fanfromday1 said:

Just wondering, does anyone know what minor league players get paid at different levels? (A, AA, AAA, etc.). And do Host Families get some sort of financial assistance?

I've hosted some Pioneer League (Rookie Ball) players and they made $1200 a month. I opted out of the reimbursement and got season tix and food/drink vouchers in lieu of. It probably depends on the league.

When I lived in Idaho Falls there were plenty of host families for the players (High Mormon population in Idaho Falls who tend to volunteer their homes just for the sake of it). Missoula seems to be the opposite and tends to have a shortage of housing hosts for the players.

Also as someone who has lived in 2 Pioneer League towns (Idaho Falls and Missoula) these teams are absolutely a huge part of the community, especially in Idaho Falls where they would regularly pack in 3400 people at Melaleuca Field. In fact I always hated MiLB and found it boring until I started going to Pioneer League Games, so I was won over by the community aspect of it.

I really hope that MLB doesn't pull support for these teams, a alot of communities that don't have access to Major League Sports *cough* Montana *cough* support the hell out of these teams.