• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia

failos

31 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I mean I guess you are right... But that being said I don't think most owners would give a gm 5 years to put together a playoff team. The Red Sox won the title last year and fired their gm this year. So I guess we are "lucky" to have an owner who is willing to be patient. 

Most teams weren’t as bad off as the Angels. They had the worst farm system in modern history (by multiple accounts), Arte was unwilling to tank, and we had little to nothing that we could or would sell, and we were hamstrung with multiple bad contracts. That isn’t a standard 3 year fix. 

Thats not even accounting for the Astros being one of the best teams in recent memory this season. They are literally stacked from top to bottom. 

Blaming Eppler for any of that is ludicrous. 

Dombrowski got canned because, championship aside, their future outlook is really bad. Their farm isn’t great, they have bad contracts, they’re about to lose their good players like Betts and JD, and the owner is talking about reducing their budget. He went all in and effed them over. 

26 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Most teams weren’t as bad off as the Angels. They had the worst farm system in modern history (by multiple accounts), Arte was unwilling to tank, and we had little to nothing that we could or would sell, and we were hamstrung with multiple bad contracts. That isn’t a standard 3 year fix. 

Thats not even accounting for the Astros being one of the best teams in recent memory this season. They are literally stacked from top to bottom. 

I didn’t blame him for any of that. I just said most owners wouldn’t wait around with a gm for 4 years and not make the playoffs. In most sports you usually get 2-4 years and if no playoffs you’re gone. So be glad we have an owner who’s patient. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

I didn’t blame him for any of that. I just said most owners wouldn’t wait around with a gm for 4 years and not make the playoffs. In most sports you usually get 2-4 years and if no playoffs you’re gone. So be glad we have an owner who’s patient. 

Considering Arte fucked up, there’s no reason he should fire Eppler for fixing his goofs.

2 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Considering Arte fucked up, there’s no reason he should fire Eppler for fixing his goofs.

You’re under the impression Arte fucked up? He hired Dipoto who everyone prior to his outing was 100% behind. He can only do what he thought was the right thing. Most owners won’t fire themselves. But again most owners require results faster than what Eppler has provided. So again be happy that we have an owner who’s patient, but it seems his patience might be dwindling a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

You’re under the impression Arte fucked up? He hired Dipoto who everyone prior to his outing was 100% behind. He can only do what he thought was the right thing. Most owners won’t fire themselves. But again most owners require results faster than what Eppler has provided. So again be happy that we have an owner who’s patient, but it seems his patience might be dwindling a bit. 

Wells, Pujols, Hamilton. He allowed Dipoto to go all in and decimate the farm. JD couldn’t do all that without approval. Arte didn’t even fire that sob. 

My issue isn’t with Arte. It’s his team, he can do whatever he wants. My point is that Dipoto nuked this franchise with Arte holding his hand. That takes a long time to fix, especially with the paraders that Arte set for the rebuild. 3 years is a joke for what Eppler was supposed to accomplish. Also, injuries - not Eppler’s fault. Heck, a lot of those were happening before Billy even got here. 

If he’s impatient with Eppler, he’s an idiot. If he feels Eppler shouldn’t have total autonomy, that’s maybe not a bad idea. But being impatient? No.

turn back the clock to Sosh ? No Thanks,  Past tense kept in the past.

recent turn of events are much needed 'better' news for Halos -- it's been a bad off season already - the Maddon announcement stops the bleeding - for a while any way.

but the Maddon hiring means the Ausmus 'interim' place keeper / care taker era that was to last three years is instead terminated after ONE season. That alone is progress moving forward.

I Liked Ausmus -- I know many here did not like him, did not like his hiring as an assistant to the Owner/ GM back when and being 'the manager in waiting' --I am sure it made Scioscia's final year difficult with the 'special assistant' chatting up the GM in the owner's box on a nightly basis second guessing every Sosh move (plenty to second guess - but oh well).  Ausmus was nice guy asked to be a place keeper in a very difficult situation and then the season with the Skaggs death just got worse and went down hill fast - leading to a 90 loss season.

When Maddon became available - Arte probably needed about ten seconds to make this next move.

Maddon is an improvement - but no one should expect miracles.

Oh, Houston, yeah, they're pretty good -- last I checked they're still in the AL West -- oh -- does anyone think Houston will get out-bid for Cole after Houston wins their second straight championship?

On 10/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Kevinb said:

He fired the manager after one year 

3 hours ago, disarcina said:

turn back the clock to Sosh ? No Thanks,  Past tense kept in the past.

recent turn of events are much needed 'better' news for Halos -- it's been a bad off season already - the Maddon announcement stops the bleeding - for a while any way.

but the Maddon hiring means the Ausmus 'interim' place keeper / care taker era that was to last three years is instead terminated after ONE season. That alone is progress moving forward.

I Liked Ausmus -- I know many here did not like him, did not like his hiring as an assistant to the Owner/ GM back when and being 'the manager in waiting' --I am sure it made Scioscia's final year difficult with the 'special assistant' chatting up the GM in the owner's box on a nightly basis second guessing every Sosh move (plenty to second guess - but oh well).  Ausmus was nice guy asked to be a place keeper in a very difficult situation and then the season with the Skaggs death just got worse and went down hill fast - leading to a 90 loss season.

When Maddon became available - Arte probably needed about ten seconds to make this next move.

Maddon is an improvement - but no one should expect miracles.

Oh, Houston, yeah, they're pretty good -- last I checked they're still in the AL West -- oh -- does anyone think Houston will get out-bid for Cole after Houston wins their second straight championship?

Didn't Boston win the championship last year?

5 minutes ago, RBM said:

How exactly will the Astros find the money to resign Cole? They are already $20 M over the luxury tax cap for next year. What is your plan? Trade Altuve?

And second straight championship? Do the math, again. 

Yup. People keep saying this. Isn’t going to happen. Cole may or may no sign with the Angels, but in order of least likely places he’ll sign with, the Astros are high on the list. They can’t afford him. 

12 hours ago, RBM said:

How exactly will the Astros find the money to resign Cole? They are already $20 M over the luxury tax cap for next year. Their payroll is at $230 M without retaining any of their FA’s. What is your plan to sign Cole. Trade Altuve?

bake sale after game 2 of the WS by the front office staff and the players' wives.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:35 PM, Sean-Regan said:

Dombrowski got canned because, championship aside, their future outlook is really bad. Their farm isn’t great, they have bad contracts, they’re about to lose their good players like Betts and JD, and the owner is talking about reducing their budget. He went all in and effed them over. 

Just like Dombroski did to Detroit.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:03 PM, Kevinb said:

which GMs only got 2 years?

15 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

No everyone wasnt.   But most of the MS haters were.

IP, you definitely were one of the few on here who wasnt buying what dipoto was up to. 

Like a cross between phillip seymour hoffman in charlie wilsons war (we'll see) and martin sheen in wall street, not trusting gordon gecko.

42 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

IP, you definitely were one of the few on here who wasnt buying what dipoto was up to. 

Like a cross between phillip seymour hoffman in charlie wilsons war (we'll see) and martin sheen in wall street, not trusting gordon gecko.

I was definitely pro JD when they hired him.  He said all the right things, talked up saber principles I believed in...  I fully believed the Angels had taken a big step forward....   Then he started making moves that spit in the face of things he claimed he believed in....   Honeymoon was over really quick...   By the time he traded Walden for Hanson, and signed Burnett and Madson I was already done.

On 10/20/2019 at 12:33 AM, Slegnaac said:

Didn't Boston win the championship last year?

How soon some of us (like me) forget.....oh well.

Houston is still around. and will be atop the AL West for the next few years --

Houston has ZERO chance of re-signing Cole?  I some how doubt that -- he may not wind up back in Houston - but I think they'll make a competitive offer/ bid for him

Who winds up getting Cole?  LA Dodgers? NY Yankees? Houston ? Who else has the dough and salary capacity to make this happen.?

On 10/16/2019 at 9:35 PM, Sean-Regan said:

He went all in and won a World Series.

On 10/20/2019 at 3:21 PM, Inside Pitch said:

I was definitely pro JD when they hired him.  He said all the right things, talked up saber principles I believed in...  I fully believed the Angels had taken a big step forward....   Then he started making moves that spit in the face of things he claimed he believed in....   Honeymoon was over really quick...   By the time he traded Walden for Hanson, and signed Burnett and Madson I was already done.

I think everyone was on his side at the beginning, simply because the narrative had been that we were anti-sabr for so long, that finally we would catch up with the rest of baseball. Plus he replaced reagins.

Adding to that, he endeared himself to AW.com for canning hatcher, and trading mathis. Regardless if those were good moves or not, it made him popular around here.