• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dominion Documentary

Taylor

My 19-year-old sister is a vegan, and she roped my wife and I into watching a documentary called Dominion. Animal rights groups in Australia snuck cameras into animal agriculture facilities, exposing the brutal treatment of animals that occurs. And it wasn't just exposing the practices of butcheries, but also dairy farms and facilities where egg-laying hens are kept.

At the beginning, the documentary claims that the footage featured isn't isolated incidents, but that the practices shown are standard in every developed nation across the globe. It's narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, Rooney Mara, and other celebrity vegans. It's probably the most horrifying movie I've ever watched. The conditions these animals are kept in is unconscionable. Millions of animals are birthed, then live in intense pain their entire lives until they're used up and killed in brutal ways. 

I'd like to believe that these are isolated incidents, and that thousands of baby male chicks aren't thrown alive into giant shredder machines. From some research, though, it seems like these practices are standard. I've never had a desire to become a vegan, or even a vegetarian. But the movie left me a bit shaken. There's so much that goes on that we ignore so that we can enjoy our comfort foods and conveniences.

Edited by Taylor

29 minutes ago, Taylor said:

There's so much that goes on that we ignore so that we can enjoy our comfort foods and conveniences.

We could say this about every walk of life not just food and conveniences.  I can go for a walk or a drive without worrying about getting blown up by a drone, we have unlimited water that comes from the tap and people can practice whatever belief system they want without persecution but people in other parts of the world can't say that.  Do what you think is best for you and yours and by all means try to do right but you'll go crazy if you think about all the wrongs of the world.  My wife and I buy free range eggs, 100% grass fed beef, meats that are supposed to be ethically raised without hormones and so on.  I'm not gonna pretend like it doesn't happen but I'm also not going to let it ruin something I enjoy.   I watched a documentary some time back about farm practices and GMO's that had a bunch of farmers who said if you demand it they'll make it happen and that's what's driven the ethically sourced movement.  The problem is we're at 7.7B people worldwide with no signs of slowing down so what's right goes out the window when the demand is there.  Hell it's more accurate to say what's right goes out the window when money is involved but a growing population sure won't help.

14 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But these "films" are made to make you feel like shit. It's how a lot, or even most people become vegetarian or vegan.

I don't buy it. I'm aware this shit does happen and it's awful, but is it standard? Ehh.

Also I'm still eating chicken. And burgers. And bacon. 

I'm not able to find anyone who's actually refuting the claims of the movie. Just a couple articles written by industry folks (like Beef Magazine ... LOL), by people who haven't even watched the documentary. 

I think it is the responsible thing to do to be humane with animals we use for our consumption. Even slaughtering can be done quickly without causing the animal to suffer in pain. I'm not sure where they got the footage for that film but I know a lot of the stuff comes from China where they do not appear to give a shit about anyone or anything. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think it is the responsible thing to do to be humane with animals we use for our consumption. Even slaughtering can be done quickly without causing the animal to suffer in pain. I'm not sure where they got the footage for that film but I know a lot of the stuff comes from China where they do not appear to give a shit about anyone or anything. 

All the footage in this particular documentary is from Australia.

It’s interesting to see you guys discussing this.

Ive been a lifelong vegetarian for religious reasons, believing a vegetarian diet is a healthier diet. I’m not driven by any kind of social justice agenda about this. 

Im glad to see there has been a movement to improve the quality and humane treatment of animals used as food. I have a hard time understanding how the meat industry has been so brutal and callous to the animals in the way these kinds of films show them to be.