Sign in to follow this  
Chuckster70

Angels employee details team's knowledge of Tyler Skaggs' drug use to DEA

Recommended Posts

I wonder if Kays family will sue the Skaggs estate for bankrolling his habit, which led to his OD...

Im saying that tongue in cheek, but I dont honestly how its different than suing the team. Its not like Kay was doing it as a player in team events... merely a guy who did things own his own time.

The pizza delivery guy might use your tip to fund his habit. Its not your fault. Nor is it pizza hut's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I wonder if Kays family will sue the Skaggs estate for bankrolling his habit, which led to his OD...

Im saying that tongue in cheek, but I dont honestly how its different than suing the team. Its not like Kay was doing it as a player in team events... merely a guy who did things own his own time.

The pizza delivery guy might use your tip to fund his habit. Its not your fault. Nor is it pizza hut's.

So, the lesson here is never tip the pizza guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, reference the DEA in all this.... in all honesty, I think that is probably being overblown (i could be wrong). But it sounds "cooler" than "the police"... even though the local PD handled the whole case.

This is a routine investigation. The only reason its newsworthy is because a known athlete died.

So Im trying to figure out why the Feds would even come out for it. The only thing i can possibly think of is if Kay brought the drugs with him to Texas.... now you might have a federal case, because youve transported over state lines.

But thats a huge if, and a huge might.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, True Grich said:

So, the lesson here is never tip the pizza guy.

Its how Ive always justified it.

I ask for extra cheese, then when he stands there waiting for his 20 percent, i say "get yourself cleaned up". Then i shut the door and turn off the porchlight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Also, reference the DEA in all this.... in all honesty, I think that is probably being overblown (i could be wrong). But it sounds "cooler" than "the police"... even though the local PD handled the whole case.

This is a routine investigation. The only reason its newsworthy is because a known athlete died.

So Im trying to figure out why the Feds would even come out for it. The only thing i can possibly think of is if Kay brought the drugs with him to Texas.... now you might have a federal case, because youve transported over state lines.

But thats a huge if, and a huge might.

 

If anything my watching TV makes me (quite possibly incorrectly) think statement case where a DA, the feds, etc can drop the hammer on a guy or use it to get more information because someone famous was involved.  That said the articles said he's cooperating and usually I don't envision them going "tell us which 5 guys you sold the 50 pills to" it's "who did you buy the 50 pills from" as they go after the bigger fish.  Unless he was giving massive amounts of pills to players who were then distributing I don't see it trickling down much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

If anything my watching TV makes me (quite possibly incorrectly) think statement case where a DA, the feds, etc can drop the hammer on a guy or use it to get more information because someone famous was involved.  That said the articles said he's cooperating and usually I don't envision them going "tell us which 5 guys you sold the 50 pills to" it's "who did you buy the 50 pills from" as they go after the bigger fish.  Unless he was giving massive amounts of pills to players who were then distributing I don't see it trickling down much.  

Its really will come down to how much they found on his phone...

If theres a huge series of say text messages saying "kay, how much for this much, me and so and so have cash" that's one thing.

If the texts are more "hey, you know anyone who can get this", that's different.

In all honesty, I dont see it going too far. I cant think of a single time weve looked in to how someone obtained a personal use quantity of dope and OD'd. 

But.... texas laws are a lot more strict than california. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original article talks about players Kay believed were using opiates while with the Angels and that his texts were all with Skaggs.  I'm sure there's a lot more as far as the details that we obviously won't know unless something more comes of it but it doesn't sound like a drug ring like you said it sounds like one guy who liked pills getting them for others.  Unless there's large quantities I just don't see them working their way down to those players much.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I'm not clear on why MLB would need to do some sort of internal investigation to determine the extent of a problem that as far as we know is currently focused on the Angels organization.  Does MLB approve or oversee who teams hire?  Just because we say or assume it's in every clubhouse doesn't mean it's been proven to be.  MLB turned a blind eye to PEDs until the early 2000's and they probably are here but aside from more testing they aren't distributing or encouraging use based on anything reported so far.  Unless they're legally required to there's no reason for MLB to kick up more dirt and drag it out in the news. 

I disagree, Cat. If opiods start invading their employees, they should make a move to strengthen the organization.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Torridd said:

I disagree, Cat. If opiods start invading their employees, they should make a move to strengthen the organization.

Invading their employees?  These are grown adults.  MLB can offer help just like they probably do for alcohol, gambling and anything else but that's up to the individual to take that offer.  Some of you guys act like MLB is the nanny state who is going to control the actions of the players off the field.  How well would that fly at your job let alone one that has a union like the MLBPA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its how Ive always justified it.

I ask for extra cheese, then when he stands there waiting for his 20 percent, i say "get yourself cleaned up". Then i shut the door and turn off the porchlight.

That's disgusting.

You need to clean up, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/27852458/angels-face-mlb-sanctions-fines-club-violated-league-drug-policy

"The policy says commissioner Rob Manfred could fine the club up to $2 million, and it gives him discretion to suspend an employee or ban him or her from MLB for life. An MLB source told Outside the Lines that Manfred's office never received such notification about Skaggs. MLB officials declined to comment."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, floplag said:

If there was any knowledge by anyone in the front office, i dont even want to think about that as my fandom will be affected. 

Same.  As a fan, I've put up with quite a bunch of shit from them over the years.  Something like this crosses the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, floplag said:

If there was any knowledge by anyone in the front office, i dont even want to think about that as my fandom will be affected. 

You do know Eric Kay is in the Angels front office. He is the Angels Director of Communications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this