• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels employee details team's knowledge of Tyler Skaggs' drug use to DEA

Chuck

10 minutes ago, Tyler said:

How long do you expect this circus to continue? 

It’s not going to be an everyday story but it will keep popping up for a long time. At least 6-8 months. 

The last piece will be when Skaggs family either decides not to sue, or when that suit is settled. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s not going to be an everyday story but it will keep popping up for a long time. At least 6-8 months. 

The last piece will be when Skaggs family either decides not to sue, or when that suit is settled. 

my guess is that the Angels are already working on a settlement.  

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The last piece will be when Skaggs family either decides not to sue... 

Hah! That would be like Pujols deciding it would be best for the ball club to retire and leave his last two years salary on the table. The family will sue, it's just a matter of how much undisclosed money is paid out. 

54 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Hah! That would be like Pujols deciding it would be best for the ball club to retire and leave his last two years salary on the table. The family will sue, it's just a matter of how much undisclosed money is paid out. 

The Angels in a court of law may be found liable but that doesn’t necessarily make them guilty of anything. That’s the way the system works so yeah, they’ll settle out of court with no admission of guilt. 

1 minute ago, azmancini said:

Once again,  what a world we live in when an ADULT offs HIMSELF  with drugs and the family is able to sue his employer. Bullshit 

Yep but unfortunately it happens all the time. It will come down to he was injured on the job and became addicted to pain meds during his rehab while under the care of team doctors. The Angels deep pockets will pay to make it go away. 

6 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Yep but unfortunately it happens all the time. It will come down to he was injured on the job and became addicted to pain meds during his rehab while under the care of team doctors. The Angels deep pockets will pay to make it go away. 

Unless it goes back to high school as has been speculated. In which case, his injury on the job would have nothing at all to do with his drug addiction. 

4 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Unless it goes back to high school as has been speculated. In which case, his injury on the job would have nothing at all to do with his drug addiction. 

It’s inconceivable that he would get away with partying with dangerous drugs since high school and have that go undetected. That would make the Angels team doctors and trainers look really lame. 

Just now, Calzone 2 said:

It’s inconceivable that he would get away with partying with dangerous drugs since high school and have that go undetected. That would make the Angels team doctors and trainers look really lame. 

It makes his parents look lame.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well there hasn't even been a suit yet. And won't be until next year. So maybe they're internally game-planning for one, but they certainly haven't discussed anything with Skaggs family.

sure.  and at this point I wouldn't expect them to.  They are likely still gathering info based on the investigation and assessing their liability but they are gonna want to make this go away as quickly as possible.  More than just financial liability, any sort of media battle with the Skaggs family could lead to more names being dragged through the mud rightfully or wrongfully.  They are going to avoid that like the plague.  

There's another reason to make this go away and I would imagine that MLB will also want the same.  It's the same reason why the dogs trafficking thing got swept under the rug and why mlb won't find anything when they do their investigation nor levy any fines or sanctions.  

The drug problem is rampant throughout all of baseball.  Every team from top to bottom.  If the Angels are hung out to dry on this then they'll just throw all the other 29 teams, mlb, and mlbpa under the bus.  Every team.  Every gm.  They all keep their little black book and it's not just Angels players in there.  They probably all have 'a guy' who supplies that they turn a blind eye and deaf ear to.  There is zero chance that mlb wants another PED type scandal on their hands.  

The Feds don't really care who's using.  They want to know the supplier.  They don't care who else might have known and if MLB acts like they do and starts throwing names about then the Angels can probably name names as well.  

This is gonna stop at Kay.  They'll be a blurb from MLB that the halos are off the hook.  Some time this spring we'll get a brief report that a settlement was reached and in the same article we'll hear about how Zack Cozart is in the best shape of his life going into spring.  If it goes any further than that, it will impact all of major league baseball from the top down.  

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

sure.  and at this point I wouldn't expect them to.  They are likely still gathering info based on the investigation and assessing their liability but they are gonna want to make this go away as quickly as possible.  More than just financial liability, any sort of media battle with the Skaggs family could lead to more names being dragged through the mud rightfully or wrongfully.  They are going to avoid that like the plague.  

There's another reason to make this go away and I would imagine that MLB will also want the same.  It's the same reason why the dogs trafficking thing got swept under the rug and why mlb won't find anything when they do their investigation nor levy any fines or sanctions.  

The drug problem is rampant throughout all of baseball.  Every team from top to bottom.  If the Angels are hung out to dry on this then they'll just throw all the other 29 teams, mlb, and mlbpa under the bus.  Every team.  Every gm.  They all keep their little black book and it's not just Angels players in there.  They probably all have 'a guy' who supplies that they turn a blind eye and deaf ear to.  There is zero chance that mlb wants another PED type scandal on their hands.  

The Feds don't really care who's using.  They want to know the supplier.  They don't care who else might have known and if MLB acts like they do and starts throwing names about then the Angels can probably name names as well.  

This is gonna stop at Kay.  They'll be a blurb from MLB that the halos are off the hook.  Some time this spring we'll get a brief report that a settlement was reached and in the same article we'll hear about how Zack Cozart is in the best shape of his life going into spring.  If it goes any further than that, it will impact all of major league baseball from the top down.  

If this was the NBA or NFL this would not be going away. But because it’s baseball this thing might die on its own this week with out anything else said about it. I haven’t watched the postseason games, but I can’t imagine this has been talked about at all on there has it?

On 10/12/2019 at 1:47 PM, yk9001 said:

The whole charade from the team about being "shocked" is really embarrassing.

We the paying fans probably all have a misconception of what really goes on with professional athletes. Like maybe some of the past Angels players we cheered for were out closing bars, snorting coke and banging hookers while Josh Hamilton was sound asleep in his hotel room. 

6 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

If this was the NBA or NFL this would not be going away. But because it’s baseball this thing might die on its own this week with out anything else said about it. I haven’t watched the postseason games, but I can’t imagine this has been talked about at all on there has it?

don't be too sure.  Every sports conglomerate has their skeletons they'd like to keep in the closet.  Drug use/abuse is not exclusive to mlb.  It's not even exclusive to pro athletes.  Take any group of youngish people with a fair amount of down time and a shit ton of money who travel with their friends on a regular basis.  I bet the incidence of recreational drug use among that demographic is higher than in the general population.  When they seize a few hundred mil worth of coke at the border, it's typically not going to be sold to joe lunch bucket working in HR at a small corp down the street.  

Every one of us probably knows quite a few people that use recreational illegal drugs on a regular basis.  You know them, but you don't know them well enough to know that about them.  And most people don't want to know.  

MLB is collection of people that make this type of behavior more likely.  They're not doing anything different than the rest of the population.  Doesn't make it right but it is what it is and no one is inclined to blow the lid off any time soon.  

11 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

We the paying fans probably all have a misconception of what really goes on with professional athletes. Like maybe some of the past Angels players we cheered for were out closing bars, snorting coke and banging hookers while Josh Hamilton was sound asleep in his hotel room. 

That's probably true to some degree. Just like a random coworker or even a friend.  

55 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

It makes his parents look lame.

ask any parent of a 27 year old what their kid is doing right now.  How many of them actually know?  Ask yourself how much stuff you've done that your parents know about.  

How many parents out there really know.  How many aren't giving their son or daughter the benefit of the doubt?  How many are in denial about what's really going on and just rationalizing certain behavior?  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

ask any parent of a 27 year old what their kid is doing right now.  How many of them actually know?  Ask yourself how much stuff you've done that your parents know about.  

How many parents out there really know.  How many aren't giving their son or daughter the benefit of the doubt?  How many are in denial about what's really going on and just rationalizing certain behavior?  

Claude said High School soooo kind of a different scenario.

57 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

don't be too sure.  Every sports conglomerate has their skeletons they'd like to keep in the closet.  Drug use/abuse is not exclusive to mlb.  It's not even exclusive to pro athletes.  Take any group of youngish people with a fair amount of down time and a shit ton of money who travel with their friends on a regular basis.  I bet the incidence of recreational drug use among that demographic is higher than in the general population.  When they seize a few hundred mil worth of coke at the border, it's typically not going to be sold to joe lunch bucket working in HR at a small corp down the street.  

Every one of us probably knows quite a few people that use recreational illegal drugs on a regular basis.  You know them, but you don't know them well enough to know that about them.  And most people don't want to know.  

MLB is collection of people that make this type of behavior more likely.  They're not doing anything different than the rest of the population.  Doesn't make it right but it is what it is and no one is inclined to blow the lid off any time soon.  

Oh I think u misread what I was saying. I don’t think this is a baseball issue. I’m meaning drugs. It’s in all the sports. What I meant was because it’s baseball this story might end with out many people talking about it much. Baseball isn’t at the top of the list in terms of important sports right now. Especially Angels baseball. Footballs going strong. And NBA is gonna start up here soon. This story might end here with thus last article. 

Also and this probably is an awful thing to say but I think it matters in the story aspect and it actually lasting longer in the general public’s viewpoint. But Skaggs wasn’t an All Star or a well known player so I think that also has something to do with how long this story lasts. If this had happened to someone with a huge following this story would take off a lot longer and we might actually get some real answers. Not that any of it really matters now, either way it’s just a sad story. 

8 hours ago, azmancini said:

Once again,  what a world we live in when an ADULT offs HIMSELF  with drugs and the family is able to sue his employer. Bullshit 

MLB is supposed to have higher standards than a regular company. When you're dealing with athletes, there is supposed to be drug policies and testing in place. Obviously, Skaggs did this to himself, but MLB should do more to prevent these situations.

57 minutes ago, Torridd said:

MLB is supposed to have higher standards than a regular company. When you're dealing with athletes, there is supposed to be drug policies and testing in place. Obviously, Skaggs did this to himself, but MLB should do more to prevent these situations.

Why?  Does your company test for opioids?  Mine doesn’t and I drive a company owned car.  I’m guessing our delivery drivers that cross state lines get tested but that’s probably it.