• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels employee details team's knowledge of Tyler Skaggs' drug use to DEA

Chuck

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think 'partying' ie doing recreational drugs is so commonplace within pro sports that there is a general numbness to it.  People know it's going on but don't pay attention to what's actually going on with any individual player.  There is no one monitoring when that night out of doing some stuff turns into the next phase of actual addiction or escalation to needing it all the time.  

My guess is that if every org suddenly decided to act on everything they heard about every player, then about half the guys in mlb would be subject to some sort of treatment process.  

The line has become so blurred because of a certain culture that no one knows where to draw it.  

If people thought Skaggs like to 'party', that's one thing.  If people thought he was regularly abusing fentanyl then they might have thought to intervene.  

But who's job is it to pay close enough attention in order to make that determination?  

I'm not sure anyone on any team is willing to take that sort of responsibility.  

So someone has to die and there has to an uncovering of some illegal process that goes beyond what people thought it was in order for there to be a wake up call.  

Could you imagine someone being a whistle blower in mlb and naming all those that use illegal drugs?  I think that list would be pretty long.  

When I was in med school, there were plenty of rumors of tons of drug use.  I had a close nit group of people that study together and we didn't partake in any of that, but there were several other groups of people that we interacted with regularly where it was suspected that they did.  People we considered friends but not to the extent that we knew everything about them.  We spent tons of time together.  There was plenty of talk about these other groups doing stuff to keep them awake so they could study more or taking other stuff to help them sleep when it was time.  It got real when one of those guys tried to write himself a script for opiods, got busted, and offed himself.   He lived next door to me and we would study together a fair amount.  I had no idea of what was really going on with him.  

Sometimes it's not that easy to tell and most are reluctant to run with some sort of unfounded rumor or even mild suspicion.  When things come out after the fact, a lot of it seems obvious, but in real time, it's just not.  

It’s probably a common practice that the team doesn’t want the public to know about. I could just imagine what happens in some of those charter flights that most professional teams take. It’s an escape from the fans, media and sometimes family. 

16EAFDDB-00F2-4E6E-92D2-A6A9ABA8FBCE.jpeg

19 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Being as I’ve never been investigated or investigated by the federal government. I imagine that’s a pretty terrifying thing. 

It depends. I have been on the receiving end of federal lawsuits more times than I can count (it goes along with the business that I'm in). I have never had a case go to trial, although there are a couple that might because the other side is delusional about what they might get at trial. We shall see.

7 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

It’s probably a common practice that the team doesn’t want the public to know about. I could just imagine what happens in some of those charter flights that most professional teams take. It’s an escape from the fans, media and sometimes family. 

http://legendsrevealed.com/sports/2013/03/22/did-wade-boggs-seriously-drink-over-50-cans-of-miller-light-on-a-cross-country-flight/comment-page-1/

12 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

99% of players ONLY care about who gives them the most money. 

I doubt when the Angels offer him $40+M more than anyone else he’s going to say “yeah well their PR department had a drug dealer in it. I think I’ll go play for the Royals for $100M less.”

95% of pro athletes could care less who they’re playing for as long as they’re making the most available money. Does anyone really believe that the Padres were Machado’s first choice?

Edited by Calzone 2

I don’t think the number is that high anymore.  The dollars are so big they can choose a ton of money and to play pretty close to where they want. I’m not a huge fan of insisting the players are greedy or selfish.  Sure some feel they have an obligation to get every last dollar but look at the NBA.  Those guys are creating super teams to play where they want. Guys like Trout are passing up free agency.  It’s not 95-99% of players that are going to sign somewhere based solely on dollars.  

1 minute ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

If both the Dodgers and Angels offer Cole the same exact contract the quality of each team’s PR department is not going to be a determining factor, believe me.

He’ll most likely choose the team that isn’t on track to waste the last couple years of his prime. 

And I would say that if the Angels and Royals both offer him huge deals and the Royals deal pays him slightly more in total value, he still chooses the Angels.  

5 minutes ago, RBM said:

Agreed. So do you think Cole will sign with the Angels if the Dodgers offer him more money? 

No he’ll go to the highest bidder. He probably legitimately works his ass off so he’s going to get everything he can get. If some Japanese team offered him 7 years and $280M, he’d be leaving to pitch in Japan. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And I would say that if the Angels and Royals both offer him huge deals and the Royals deal pays him slightly more in total value, he still chooses the Angels.  

If the Royals offered him a little more money you can bet that the Angels would match that offer. Boras would make sure of it. 

Just now, Vladdylonglegs said:

Following the money does not mean a player is greedy or selfish. Everyone here has a goal to maximize their earning potential in their careers. Doesn’t make us greedy. 

I get that, but at some point the money is big enough to play where they want to play.  Obviously if you’re offered $100 million one place and $200 million another place you take $200 million. But if it’s $180 and $200 and you want to play where the $180 offer came from they’ll play there. 

2 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

So if the Yankees and Astros presented Cole with a win now $225M offer and the Angels offer is $220M with a win later he’ll choose the Angels?

I have no idea.  Nor do you.  According to you if the Yankees offer $225 million and the Marlins off $226 million he’s going to Miami.  

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea.  Nor do you.  According to you if the Yankees offer $225 million and the Marlins off $226 million he’s going to Miami.  

You left out win now. I mean if contracts are very similar you’d think that most players would choose a location that gives them the best opportunity to get to the big stage as many times as possible. That’s every players dream. Postseason money is also an incentive. 

Edited by Calzone 2

3 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

You left out win now. I mean if contracts are very similar you’d think that most players would choose a location that gives them the best opportunity to get to the big stage as many times as possible. That’s every players dream. Postseason money is also an incentive. 

I just have two words to say to this post:

Mike Trout

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

He wasn’t a free agent 

That's fine, but he could have been, and he could have gone to a team that would give him an opportunity to "win now" and still gotten a similar contract.

That narrative is dead.

Also you have always been a "go where the money is" proponent so you're spinning multiple narratives. How complex.