• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels employee details team's knowledge of Tyler Skaggs' drug use to DEA

Chuck

A public relations employee for the Los Angeles Angels told federal investigators that he provided oxycodone to Tyler Skaggs and abused it with him for years, and that two team officials were told about Skaggs' drug use long before his death, according to two sources familiar with the investigation.

Eric Kay, the Angels' director of communications, also gave U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration agents the names of five other players who he believed were using opiates while they were Angels, the sources said.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/27828247/los-angeles-angels-employee-details-team-knowledge-tyler-skaggs-drug-use-federal-dea-investigators-espn

What a freaking mess. These aren’t just random clubhouse attendants. Eric Kay was pretty prominent in the PR dept. And obviously I can’t say for certain, but it sounds like Mead would have had to know. I also wonder how Scioscia could’ve had this going on for so long without being aware of it. 

I don’t want to speculate anymore than I already have, but this has the potential to be a lot worse before it gets better.

Does every organization have stuff like this going on, or are the Angels just a particularly screwed up organization?

LDN-L-ANGELS-0713-KB56-1.jpg

The Angels issued a statement, attributed to president John Carpino, denying they were aware of drug by Skaggs, or any player:

"We have never heard that any employee was providing illegal narcotics to any player, or that any player was seeking illegal narcotics 

"The Angels maintain a strict, zero-tolerance policy regarding the illicit use of drugs for both players and staff. Every one of our players must also abide by the MLB Joint Drug Agreement. 

"We continue to mourn the loss of Tyler and fully cooperate with the authorities as they continue their investigation."

2 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

This is awful.  Heads need to roll.  Whoever knew, however high up

Yeah, this looks bad for the entire organization and it starts right at the top. 

Not blaming Arte, but he is the owner. He's gotta fire fuckin everyone who knew about this. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Damn, I feel bad for Eric. He's a good guy. I've known him for many years as he was mentored by Tim Mead to eventually take his gig after he left.

I highly doubt Tim Mead had any knowledge of this.

from the story it seems Kay is claiming otherwise.  

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Damn, I feel bad for Eric. He's a good guy. I've known him for many years as he was mentored by Tim Mead to eventually take his gig after he left.

I highly doubt Tim Mead had any knowledge of this.

Per the article, Kay’s mom said she asked him about it at the hospital when Skaggs texted for more drugs. Maybe she’s just trying to cover for her kid, but it doesn’t look good. That said, whether he knew or not, unless there’s evidence he knew, I doubt anything happens with him. 

This is ugly.  Eric Kay should be fired, and Tim Mead is going to have to worry about his position with the HoF now.  Those other 5 players, if they are still with the team should be released.

How in the world does MLB not test for this stuff?