Sign in to follow this  
RendZone

Braves remove foam tomahawks

On 10/9/2019 at 11:44 AM, Dtwncbad said:

There are plenty of people fully prepared for a post racial society where people don’t feel obligated to have everything offend them.

There are two things in the way of this positive evolution:

1). Some remaining racists, and
2). All the social justice warriors and indignaholics that literally would not know what to do with themselves if society evolved past being offended by everything.  The would be lost.

This is a good post, I think many lost the nuance of it. Most folks see only one side or the other. 

I would only add to your (1) that it isn't only the remaining racists, but institutions and cultural forms from older (more racist) times that are still part of today's culture. I mean, for crying out loud, Washington Redskins?! Imagine having the Harlem Blackskins or the Orange County Whities? (Wait, that's the AW Political Forum). I don't agree with, say, taking down Confederate statues or censoring Mark Twain, as they are cultural artifacts, but I do think we can adapt our institutions and cultural forms to suit the times we live in. 

Yes, "indignation culture" is completely out of hand, to the point of being almost totalitarian in trying to get everyone in line with a kind of groupthink, but there are still underlying real issues, and perhaps no group has gotten the shaft without any kind of cultural resuscitation than Native Americans. It doesn't erase 500 years of genocide, colonization, and cultural devastation, but it is a small gesture: listen to what actual Native Americans are saying about the tomohawk chop, names like the Braves, Indians, and Redskins.

Or to put it another way, let's not confuse this kind of legitimate indignation with mistakeningly calling someone the wrong pronoun or not knowing wtf "zir" means.

17 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I’m too old to spend time fretting my pronoun usage. You get he, she, or it. If those don’t do it for you then you can always find somebody else to talk to 

source.gif

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I’m too old to spend time fretting my pronoun usage. You get he, she, or it. If those don’t do it for you then you can always find somebody else to talk to 

Pretty simple.  My words.  I choose my words.

On 10/9/2019 at 3:54 PM, failos said:

Man some people really hate fun. I always thought the tomahawk gesture was done out of respect for Native Americans' strength.

That's really f'ing stupid.

I say that out of respect. 

On 10/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, yk9001 said:

I lived the fifth and sixth grade in Cobb County, Ga, where the new stadium is.

Basically all I remember is the kudzu that grew everywhere.  And hearing the N word - like I never heard before or since.

I've lived in Northridge, Chatsworth, 2 places in new jersey, Maryland, Carlsbad, Oceanside, Long Beach, Lakewood, and Georgia.  And only one place the N word flew freely.

I hope you win the lotto someday YK.  You deserve some good suburbia. 

Sons of Samoa...

I had some Samoan friends growing up. They come in 2 flavors. Diehard religious or thug (at least in the era).

I remember going to a bbq at the park once, tons of Usos walking around, flamed in red and blue.

"Dude.... theres bloods AND crips here... wtf"

"Its cool, were all samoan" - my buddy.

"....... Im not" - me.

The biggest Samon beefs were always with the Tongans, funny enough. Poy fight!