• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerome to get bumped from rotation?

Scott seriously? Williams hasn't been much better than Blanton? What games have you been watching? 

I can see the six-man rotation thing since Hanson and Weaver aren't stretched out and we have Richards in the BP, but it makes NO sense have two of Richards and Williams in the BP with Chinbush staying. Let Blanton be our long guy out of the pen when the game is out of reach either way. Yes, an expensive long man, but I'd rather have the best guy out there for 6-8 innings. Williams gives us a better chance to win. His stuff is MUCH better than Blanton too. He's throwing harder than last season and his sinker keeps the ball in the ballpark. Unlike Blanton. 

I think Williams is a bit better, but this year's early returns don't accurately portray how much.  Last year, Williams had an ERA+ of 84 vs Blanton's 85.  We've seen Williams get exposed the more he pitches.  We've seen Blanton pitch better lately.  I've seen him be unlucky... Mark Langston has, too, in a game I only heard on the radio... he couldn't stop talking about it.  Fans are crazy.  They boo a pitcher when he gives up a soft ground ball single through the hole. Clueless.

I have no problem going with Williams.   I like this temporary move, though.  

In the long run, these guys probably won't be that different.  People are being irrational, as usual.  

I like Jerome.  Great guy for this team.  Solid player that has done a great job filling in while injuries have taken their toll, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

Do I think he deserves to stay in the rotation?  Sure, but mostly because Blanton is just so awful. 

Is he the best pitcher on this team?  Absolutely not. 

Vargas, Wilson, Weaver and probably Hanson are better.  Not to take anything away from Jerome as he's been great.  He's a #4 or 5 starter and unlikely to keep up his current pace. I certainly hope he does, but let's be realistic.

I think Williams is a bit better, but this year's early returns don't accurately portray how much.  Last year, Williams had an ERA+ of 84 vs Blanton's 85.  We've seen Williams get exposed the more he pitches.  We've seen Blanton pitch better lately.  I've seen him be unlucky... Mark Langston has, too, in a game I only heard on the radio... he couldn't stop talking about it.  Fans are crazy.  They boo a pitcher when he gives up a soft ground ball single through the hole. Clueless.

I have no problem going with Williams.   I like this temporary move, though.  

In the long run, these guys probably won't be that different.  People are being irrational, as usual.  

This is this year not last year. Blanton was in the NL last year. This year Blanton has pitched enough to show that it's not like last year.

Is it just me or does it seem like Scioscia just doesn't like/trust Jerome that much?

It seems like he's had an extremely short leash with him since he fell out of the starting rotation, last year. I remember there was talk about him being the fringe pitcher coming out of spring training this year and that he was among the most likely not to be on the roster, and stayed due to all the DL revolving door.

This kind of couples with the fact that Scioscia pulled him for not being stretched out after 70-odd pitches that game two back, though he had pitched longer than that in his previous appearance.

I have a sick feeling Sociscia is looking for a reason to drop Jerome from the rotation and keep Blanton in.

I really, really hope I'm wrong.

Why are you so quick to blame Mike S. for keeping Blanton in the rotation, instead of thinking Dipoto (the guy that invested 15 million in Blanton in the offseason when Williams was already on the team making about 2 million and Richards was making about 400 K) is the one that wants to keep Blanton in the rotation longer, hoping that Blanton improves so his signing doesn't look so terrible?

Why are you so quick to blame Mike S. for keeping Blanton in the rotation, instead of thinking Dipoto (the guy that invested 15 million in Blanton in the offseason when Williams was already on the team making about 2 million and Richards was making about 400 K) is the one that wants to keep Blanton in the rotation longer, hoping that Blanton improves so his signing doesn't look so terrible?

Short answer:  Did Dipoto call down and tell Mike to pull Jerome after 74 pitches and make give him that total BS "stretching out" excuse?

I sincerely doubt it.   That's what my opinion is based on.

Who cares what Dipito wants. I'm sure he does want Blanton in there but Mike is the manager who decides who starts and that's part of his job. So if MS is being influenced by Dipito that's just another reason to put blame on MS.

ZiPs see Williams going 4.47 ERA rest of the way and Blanton 4.60 rest of the way, so not a big difference.

My only thing here is that Blanton has been TERRIBAD and most of the sabr stats always seem optimistic about him. I can buy Jerome at 4.47 the rest of the way, but I'm not sold on Joe Blanton's career being any more than on life support.

Actually, at this point I would trust Blanton over Hanson.

Taking out the bad start vs. KC at home, Blanton's ERA since April 27 = 3.70.

His past 3 starts = 3.30 ERA, 17/0 Ks/BBs ratio, and 0.80 WHIP in 21.1 innings.

Since Hanson's endurance has always been a question mark, and he's coming off 3-4 weeks of bereavement times over 2 separate increments, I like the idea of him taking Williams' long relief role for now.