Sign in to follow this  
John Smith

2020 MLB Mock Draft

BA MLB Mock Draft

Updated on: 1/13/2020

Ed Howard

Mount Carmel (Ill.) HS SS
Notes:

It’s a weak middle infield class for prep players. There are no shortstops of the caliber of Bobby Witt Jr. or CJ Abrams, but Howard is the cream of the crop and is a standout defender with an uber projectable frame and athleticism most teams love. He’s not the most polished bat, but is mechanically sound and has shown enough flashes for teams to dream on his offensive ability in the future. This could be the first year without multiple high school shortstops selected in the first round since 2006, when none were taken.

Really hoping for a collegiate pitcher that can go straight to AA in 2021 and MLB ready in 2022. Right on target with Chris Rodriguez and Jose Soriano.

An arm like that would make the long term outlook of this team considerably more positive and cost effective. We'd still need two of Canning, Sandoval, Rodriguez and Soriano to reach their potential, but that's a lot likelier than 3 of those 4 working out.

10 hours ago, StandOutRealty said:

Dude I really don’t think payment would be needed for that action with Tdawg 

This is correct. I'm crowning and wasting a top 10 pick on a toolsy middle infielder will make me blow an o ring on Eppler's front doorstep.

For me, you always take the best player, BUT... if the best available pitcher isnt much down the board from the hitter, you might switch em up as pitcher tend to have more value than position players in trades and such. 
If your picking 10 and the best player is a bat, but you have an arm right behind him... maybe you take the arm first in our situation right now.

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

For me, you always take the best player, BUT... if the best available pitcher isnt much down the board from the hitter, you might switch em up as pitcher tend to have more value than position players in trades and such. 
If your picking 10 and the best player is a bat, but you have an arm right behind him... maybe you take the arm first in our situation right now.

Yep.  Although to me it almost has to be a 1A 1B situation.  If you have a guy you think can be the next Adell sitting there at 10, you don’t pass him up to draft the next middle of the rotation starter that can be in the bigs in 18 months.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Yep.  Although to me it almost has to be a 1A 1B situation.  If you have a guy you think can be the next Adell sitting there at 10, you don’t pass him up to draft the next middle of the rotation starter that can be in the bigs in 18 months.  

Of course, if the gap between best position and best pitcher is obvious, you take the position player every time.
I'm thinking more like if it was the bat at 10 and an arm at 11 or 12 of comparable projections.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Of course, if the gap between best position and best pitcher is obvious, you take the position player every time.
I'm thinking more like if it was the bat at 10 and an arm at 11 or 12 of comparable projections.

With some ten college pitchers slated to go in the first round, pending how they perform in 2020, chances are good that the best available college pitcher by overall pick #10 will not be rated anymore than a couple of picks lower.

If there was any year to pick one, 2020 would be it.