• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Little birdie...

Scott34

ItI too have a difficult time believing this one. It's not to say I don't believe Maddon will be hired, as much as I'm saying there timing of it doesn't match up.

Not unless....

1. Maddon flew straight to the West Coast the morning after the last game of the season. Didn't pack up his apartment or anything, just left. Hard to do considering he spent the entire day before coaching and in press conferences.

2. They were having a 5:00 dinner in a very public place, on literally the day they fired Brad Ausmus.

3. Scott's friends happened to be there, and happened to call Scott immediately.

4. Scott's first move was to go straight to AW and post this.

I suspect Theo Epstein is right, that there will be a bidding war for Joe's services. I believe he will manage the Angels, but not before negotiations with his agent and extensive discussions with both Arte and Eppler are conducted. Shoot they might even bring Trout and Pujols into this, though that's unlikely.

So he will be the Angels manager, but that won't  happen for another few weeks, maybe right before the World Series.

37 minutes ago, Second Base said:

ItI too have a difficult time believing this one. It's not to say I don't believe Maddon will be hired, as much as I'm saying there timing of it doesn't match up.

Not unless....

1. Maddon flew straight to the West Coast the morning after the last game of the season. Didn't pack up his apartment or anything, just left. Hard to do considering he spent the entire day before coaching and in press conferences.

Second Base, as I read this first point, it soooo reminded me of the Movie “A Few Good Men” when Tom Cruise was trying to get Col. Jessup to admit he ordered the Code Red on Pvt. Santiago.

”Pvt. Santiago was so excited to leave the island, he didn’t pack a thing, nor did he call a single person.  Can you explain that?”tom cruise GIF

Edited by PattyD22

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Not unless....

2. They were having a 5:00 dinner in a very public place, on literally the day they fired Brad Ausmus.

3. Scott's friends happened to be there, and happened to call Scott immediately.

4. Scott's first move was to go straight to AW and post this.

I suspect Theo Epstein is right, that there will be a bidding war for Joe's services. I believe he will manage the Angels, but not before negotiations with his agent and extensive discussions with both Arte and Eppler are conducted. Shoot they might even bring Trout and Pujols into this, though that's unlikely.

So he will be the Angels manager, but that won't  happen for another few weeks, maybe right before the World Series.

You're assuming they didn't talk when Maddon was still manager of the Cubs. As in there wasn't any tampering. His contract was expiring after the 2019 season, so he was essentially a lame duck. He didn't have a team option, so he was essentially a free agent to be. He knew he was unlikely to be brought back, and furthermore, he knew he didn't want to come back if there was a chance to come home to Anaheim.

The Cubs were in San Diego for a 4 game weekday series from 9-9 to 9-12. They then went back to Chicago for a weekend set.

The Angels were at home. They had a day off on 9/12.

Is it tampering? Yes. Sure. Does it happen all the time? Also, yes.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You're assuming they didn't talk when Maddon was still manager of the Cubs. As in there wasn't any tampering. His contract was expiring after the 2019 season, so he was essentially a lame duck. He didn't have a team option, so he was essentially a free agent to be. He knew he was unlikely to be brought back, and furthermore, he knew he didn't want to come back if there was a chance to come home to Anaheim.

The Cubs were in San Diego for a 4 game weekday series from 9-9 to 9-12. They then went back to Chicago for a weekend set.

The Angels were at home. They had a day off on 9/12.

Is it tampering? Yes. Sure. Does it happen all the time? Also, yes.

Maddon is under contract through the end of the month...pretty sure the Angels still need permission to talk to him prior to then.

No chance Moreno and Maddon have already met and discussed the position.

Did Moreno's people back channel to Maddon's people...maybe. But no chance they've had a sit down, especially before the season ended.

52 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

Second Base, as I read this first point, it soooo reminded me of the Movie “A Few Good Men” when Tom Cruise was trying to get Col. Jessup to admit he ordered the Code Red on Pvt. Santiago.

”Pvt. Santiago was so excited to leave the island, he didn’t pack a thing, nor did he call a single person.  Can you explain that?”tom cruise GIF

I want the TRUTH!!!

5 minutes ago, red321 said:

....Did Moreno's people back channel to Maddon's people...maybe. But no chance they've had a sit down, especially before the season ended.

I guess the only other possibility I could see is that Maddon talked to Theo before the west coast trip and said he'd like to check in with Arte while on the trip.....I would have to believe that both Theo and Maddon knew he wasn't likely coming back at that point and maybe Theo said "Go ahead...but keep it quiet."  Not sure that is plausible but about the only thing I can think of, other than a back channel contact (which happens all the time)....

It wouldn't be very smart of Maddon's agent to not try and use leverage for his client.

After all, Maddon is probably going to be on his last managerial contract. Everything has to be set up for his best ling term benefit. 

Probably even with post managerial, front office options.

Nothing to be rushed into.

Even if everything aligns for the Angels, a lot of details to work out. And the more competition, the better it is for Maddon.

9 minutes ago, red321 said:

Maddon is under contract through the end of the month...pretty sure the Angels still need permission to talk to him prior to then.

No chance Moreno and Maddon have already met and discussed the position.

Did Moreno's people back channel to Maddon's people...maybe. But no chance they've had a sit down, especially before the season ended.

The Angels need permission to talk to Maddon, Yes.

Can Maddon have dinner with an old friend? Yes.

Can Moreno unofficially offer him the job? Yes.

Is it tampering? Yes.

Does Theo care, No.

Did they mutually agree to part ways? Yes.

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

I guess the only other possibility I could see is that Maddon talked to Theo before the west coast trip and said he'd like to check in with Arte while on the trip.....I would have to believe that both Theo and Maddon knew he wasn't likely coming back at that point and maybe Theo said "Go ahead...but keep it quiet."  Not sure that is plausible but about the only thing I can think of, other than a back channel contact (which happens all the time)....

Even in that scenario I think the Angels would have to ask for permission formally.

Regardless, I expect Maddon to be named manager in the next week or so

14 minutes ago, red321 said:

Even in that scenario I think the Angels would have to ask for permission formally.

Regardless, I expect Maddon to be named manager in the next week or so

Not sure how formal permission has to be, so long as it's asked for.....I agree, this isn't going to drag out very long.....kind of like waiting "an appropriate time" after a divorce before getting married again....some contact has likely been made and it wouldn't be a surprise if Maddon is hired quickly.

23 minutes ago, Hubs said:

The Angels need permission to talk to Maddon, Yes.

Can Maddon have dinner with an old friend? Yes.

Can Moreno unofficially offer him the job? Yes.

Is it tampering? Yes.

Does Theo care, No.

Did they mutually agree to part ways? Yes.

I honestly do not believe you. Why risk it? What's the rush for Arte or Maddon? None if v that makes any sense, and the most connected people are all reporting there hasn't been contact between the two.