• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Olney: “Brad Ausmus is in jeopardy of losing his job as manager of the Angels”

mmc

33 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

While i'm sure that's true, isn't it possible this manager stuff was known at that point? Would Maddon know he wasn't coming back a while ago, and he and the Angels possibly had discussed coming here?

No. The GM does a press conference every year after the season is over. 

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The assumption is that Arte would be firing Ausmus, not Eppler. 

9 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

and who’s decision is it to hire the next manager?

I am kind of neutral on Ausmus....hard to judge him too harshly with injuries and Tyler....but I'd take my chances with Eppler making a decision over Arte....Arte's record (if the stories are true) is pretty bad---Pujols, Hamilton, Wells (if he really pressured Reagins to do something), hiring DiPoto and Reagins certainly doesn't look terribly wise in hindsight....

If the Angels let Ausmus go than I believe it should be viewed as a positive.  Even though Ausmus is an Eppler hire, Eppler seems smart enough to cut the ties when things are not going well.  It would be a bigger mistake to keep Ausmus hoping for a change.  I think what Ausmus did or did not do this year is what we can expect if he stays.  I hope he goes.  His managerial WAR has to be less than Pujols' 2019 WAR.

17 minutes ago, eligrba said:

If the Angels let Ausmus go than I believe it should be viewed as a positive.  Even though Ausmus is an Eppler hire, Eppler seems smart enough to cut the ties when things are not going well.  It would be a bigger mistake to keep Ausmus hoping for a change.  I think what Ausmus did or did not do this year is what we can expect if he stays.  I hope he goes.  His managerial WAR has to be less than Pujols' 2019 WAR.

I don’t care if Ausmus is retained or not but how do you judge the guy based on this season?  If you don’t like the lack of motion plays like hit and run or stolen bases then you hate virtually all of baseball these days.  Same goes with pitching changes.  Our starters were with shitty, young, or both.   So the quick hook was inevitable.   To judge him on this year would be asinine. 

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t care if Ausmus is retained or not but how do you judge the guy based on this season?  If you don’t like the lack of motion plays like hit and run or stolen bases then you hate virtually all of baseball these days.  Same goes with pitching changes.  Our starters were with shitty, young, or both.   So the quick hook was inevitable.   To judge him on this year would be asinine. 

"Bad season!!!!" so easiest to blame the manager except for the actual reasons why it happened.  It's like when I see "ASSmus is terrible!" or "he's just not good"...how can you tell?  No, seriously, how?  I don't love or hate the guy, I just don't have any way to gauge him as a manager based on what he had to work with to manage.  Then there are people celebrating Maddon potentially coming in....why?  Is he going to magically make the pitching staff stay healthy and pitch better?  Just him?  Because it won't matter who is in the manager's chair if they do not have the players healthy and performing.

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There are soooooo many other things that go into evaluating a manager aside from the W/L. Maybe Ausmus isn't liked by the players, maybe he doesn't have the clubhouse, maybe's he's a dick (no, I'm pretty sure he's a dick), maybe he's been a dick to Arte. 

Heck, maybe those of us who have pointed out his in-game managerial decisions were also witnessed by the owner and GM and while Eppler thought he'd be a good fit, maybe after evaluating him a year on the job (Which he wasn't able to do up-close when he was a manager for the Tigers) he realized he's not as good as a manager as he originally thought -- and isn't a good manager long term for this team and the success thereof. 

Bad in-game manager or not and whether he's responsible for the W/L due to all of the injuries, there are a bunch of other things that get noted by upper management that only they know about that leads to these types of decisions.