• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Religion and Politics

Taylor

While i agree the two do not and should not mic, it isnt like Christianity is somehow uniquely Rep.  Granted the more hard core seem to be more closely associated with the conservative views, but there are bibles on both sides of that aisle as much as there are any other materials.
i personally think the far greater problem is this this idea that demographics equal politics, the whole identity politics concept.  Religions is just one of the aspects of that greater problem.  I dont think history will judge this assertion well.

one of my former students was a member of the First AME church here in LA and invited me to sunday services anytime. i took him up on the offer one sunday and had a very interesting experience.

as we entered the sanctuary each of us were handed a card to fill out. it was seeking justice for a black girl who had been killed by a korean shop owner in downtown and the DA had chosen not to file murder charges. we were encouraged to fill out the card to show our support to the girls family and that the law had not been applied fairly in this case. they spoke about it from the pulpit, too.

the music was interesting but eternally long-winded.

they had a brief good bye ceremony for christine johnson, an actress who was relocating to washington d.c. for a new show she was going to be on.

the sermon dealt far more with equality and justice than it did with how to live a godly life. i didn't find it to be a very spiritual service. 

there was a pretty good chance i was the only republican inside the building that day.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

one of my former students was a member of the First AME church here in LA and invited me to sunday services anytime. i took him up on the offer one sunday and had a very interesting experience.

as we entered the sanctuary each of us were handed a card to fill out. it was seeking justice for a black girl who had been killed by a korean shop owner in downtown and the DA had chosen not to file murder charges. we were encouraged to fill out the card to show our support to the girls family and that the law had not been applied fairly in this case. they spoke about it from the pulpit, too.

the music was interesting but eternally long-winded.

they had a brief good bye ceremony for christine johnson, an actress who was relocating to washington d.c. for a new show she was going to be on.

the sermon dealt far more with equality and justice than it did with how to live a godly life. i didn't find it to be a very spiritual service. 

there was a pretty good chance i was the only republican inside the building that day.

There's danger is only discussing social justice and institutional sin in church. There's also danger in only discussing personal righteousness and personal sin in church. There needs to be balance.

14 hours ago, Taylor said:

There's danger is only discussing social justice and institutional sin in church. There's also danger in only discussing personal righteousness and personal sin in church. There needs to be balance.

I’m sorry but I fail to see the “danger” in that. 

5 hours ago, Lhalo said:

I’m sorry but I fail to see the “danger” in that. 

If you fail to address the existence of corporate or institutional sin, you'll just wallow in self-righteousness and alienate people, brush over systemic evil, and stand idly by while horrible things are happening in society. Just look at the Christian church in Germany during the rise of Hitler. Or Christians today shouting about gay marriage and the Supreme Court while human trafficking exists. Personal holiness is important, but it's just self-righteousness if it never compels you to help shape a better world. Faith without works is dead.

8 hours ago, Taylor said:

If you fail to address the existence of corporate or institutional sin, you'll just wallow in self-righteousness and alienate people, brush over systemic evil, and stand idly by while horrible things are happening in society. Just look at the Christian church in Germany during the rise of Hitler. Or Christians today shouting about gay marriage and the Supreme Court while human trafficking exists. Personal holiness is important, but it's just self-righteousness if it never compels you to help shape a better world. Faith without works is dead.

So unless there are zero other problems in the world, Christians should speak on things?

14 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

So unless there are zero other problems in the world, Christians should speak on things?

I can see why my post came off that way. That's not what I meant, though. Christians speaking out about gay marriage but ignoring poverty, systemic racism, modern-day slavery, etc. is an example of being so hyper-focused on one issue while ignoring other important societal issues.

I'm not saying every Christian has to get fired-up about every issue. But which of the following issues are Christians most known for?

• Poverty
  • Abortion
  • Human trafficking
  • Gay marriage
  • Racism
  • Domestic abuse
  • Caring for the marginalized

i spent the weekend in sacramento singing for the 50th anniversary of a group associated with the adventist church that builds churches and schools and digs water wells all around the world (maranatha.org). there's another organization within our church (ADRA.org) that responds to disasters around the world, often before the red cross arrives, to provide basic supplies.

there are many, many christian organizations that do amazing work to help all kinds of people in all kinds of places.

19 minutes ago, Tank said:

i spent the weekend in sacramento singing for the 50th anniversary of a group associated with the adventist church that builds churches and schools and digs water wells all around the world (maranatha.org). there's another organization within our church (ADRA.org) that responds to disasters around the world, often before the red cross arrives, to provide basic supplies.

there are many, many christian organizations that do amazing work to help all kinds of people in all kinds of places.

Oh that's cute you want a pat on the back you complete douche?

Jk that's actually really cool.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Oh that's cute you want a pat on the back you complete douche?

Jk that's actually really cool.

Don't let him off the hook tdawg, he makes it sound so pious but read it again. He didn't dig any wells, build any schools or respond to any disasters.... he sang....

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Don't let him off the hook tdawg, he makes it sound so pious but read it again. He didn't dig any wells, build any schools or respond to any disasters.... he sang....

... he sang ... for the 50th anniversary celebrating a group that builds churches and schools and digs water wells all around the world.

Man ... Tank is an asshole!

23 minutes ago, Adam said:

Serenading Governor Gavin in hopes that the investigation into his missing golf clubs would be reopened

We already know who to watch in this horrible crime.

It appears you still haven’t found the hidden cameras on your property.

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm glad Im not the only one who sees it.

I also donated money for a school they’re expanding in Kenya to help girls who are escaping from places where they routinely perform female genital mutilation.

Most of these girls are 7-9 years old and have to runaway from their families or else they’re married off by 12 and parents by 15.