• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does a third party have a shot in the next few elections?

• 4 weeks later...

I look at what just happened up north in Canada, as many as 5 parties represented... god we need this so badly here. 
The big 2 legit represent nothing but extremes at this point.  We need a third, or even 4th option more than ever.  
I know its a pipe dream but im praying for some of these candidate that the Dems dont want since they cant control them or they dont follow the script to splinter off, but i doubt it happens.  
The Dems right now are painting themselves into an interesting hole though... literally everyone but them is either a bigot, a racist, a sexist, a misogynist, or a Russian asset.. im not sure thats a sustainable model for very long.  Its already started to turn on itself, it will eventually implode.

7 hours ago, floplag said:

I look at what just happened up north in Canada, as many as 5 parties represented... god we need this so badly here. 
The big 2 legit represent nothing but extremes at this point.  We need a third, or even 4th option more than ever.  
I know its a pipe dream but im praying for some of these candidate that the Dems dont want since they cant control them or they dont follow the script to splinter off, but i doubt it happens.  
The Dems right now are painting themselves into an interesting hole though... literally everyone but them is either a bigot, a racist, a sexist, a misogynist, or a Russian asset.. im not sure thats a sustainable model for very long.  Its already started to turn on itself, it will eventually implode.

They call that a parliamentary system...

13 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im aware of that but it doesnt mean we have to fundamentally change our government to have more than 2 parties.  

It really does though. Parliamentary systems are designed to promote party coalitions and thus multiple parties. Our system promotes issue based coalitions under a single party banner because of the winner take all nature of our elections. When you need to come in first you just can't come from a third party. Trump is probably the best example of the way systemic party change happens in our country. Rather than running as a third party candidate Trump hijacked the republican party and destroyed it from the inside.

Many moderate positions / issues / constituents have been expelled by both parties, which is why many think a third party candidate is viable. What will actually happen is that one of the two major parties will eventually embrace these people at the expense of a smaller group. I imagine that after a good chunk of the old white vote dies the Republican party will embrace things like fiscal responsibility, value diversity and individual character in exchange for the racist and xenophobic constituency they currently represent.

13 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It really does though. Parliamentary systems are designed to promote party coalitions and thus multiple parties. Our system promotes issue based coalitions under a single party banner because of the winner take all nature of our elections. When you need to come in first you just can't come from a third party. Trump is probably the best example of the way systemic party change happens in our country. Rather than running as a third party candidate Trump hijacked the republican party and destroyed it from the inside.

Many moderate positions / issues / constituents have been expelled by both parties, which is why many think a third party candidate is viable. What will actually happen is that one of the two major parties will eventually embrace these people at the expense of a smaller group. I imagine that after a good chunk of the old white vote dies the Republican party will embrace things like fiscal responsibility, value diversity and individual character in exchange for the racist and xenophobic constituency they currently represent.

a very partisan accounting of the reality, inaccurate, but partisan. 
I've said before ill say again Trump didnt hijack anything, there were very few that had any illusions about who or what he was... though the extra shot of racism and xenophobia was a cute touch.   The issue was that for many he was better than an uber liberal platform, and still is.  Call it what you will, insert whatever buzzword of the day you choose, the reality is that people didnt choose him, they rejected your agenda. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

I've said before ill say again Trump didnt hijack anything, there were very few that had any illusions about who or what he was... though the extra shot of racism and xenophobia was a cute touch.   The issue was that for many he was better than an uber liberal platform, and still is.  Call it what you will, insert whatever buzzword of the day you choose, the reality is that people didnt choose him, they rejected your agenda. 

There is not a single ultra liberal person running as a dem. Meanwhile, just about every Republican candidate and voter I can think of is a racist xenophobe.

Just now, junkorama said:

I'm a moderate and I am beyond reproach.

Im not the one calling everyone on the other side the label of the day.  
Let me ask you this, since no one else ive ever asked has had an answer... what do you plan to do with everyone youve labeled and dismissed once you have power?

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Did....did you just imply Hillary was "uber liberal"?