• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels add a top tier bat in addition to arms?

Chuck

Do you think the Angels offense as it stands is good enough to compete even with a loaded rotation next season?

I think we're still one guy away on offense to becoming a legit threat in 2020 and beyond. 

I think Fletcher and La Stella should platoon at 2B and we go after a Donaldson or Rendon for 3B.

While I think Justin Upton will be better than he's shown this season, who besides Mike Trout can we really count on in the lineup?

If you look at the top tier teams in baseball they all have 4-6 guys in their lineup who mash, along with a good starting pitching staff. So really, adding Cole and another arm may not be good enough. 

Astros: Springer, Brantley, Bregman, Alvarez, Altuve, Gurriel. 

Dodgers: Muncy, Bellinger, Turner, Seager, Pederson

Yankees: Judge, Torres, LeMahieu, Sanchez, Urshela, Voit, Gregorius

Braves: Freeman, Acuna, Donaldson, Albies

Twins: Cruz, Kepler, Polanco, Sano, Rosario, Garver

Cubs: Castellanos, Baez, Rizzo, Bryant, Contreras, Schwarber

The Angels have Trout, but Ohtani will be getting less at bats due to pitching, is La Stella a one year wonder or is it because of the juiced baseballs? Is Upton truly regressing? and will Pujols be the guy in 2019 or 2017 & 2018 in his year 40 season? There are big question marks next season as far as the type of production noted above compared to their peers on championship caliber clubs next season. 

I think a 3B like Donaldson or Rendon and a C like Grandal would need to be added to seriously compete against the top tier teams in 2020 and beyond. 

Thoughts?

Don't forget about the Red Sox, who despite having an off  year are still a top tier team, plus have an amazing core of position player talent, including three guys in the top 12 WAR in MLB:

Red Sox: Betts, Bogaerts, Devers, Martinez, Benintendi, plus good complementary talent like Vazquez, Holt, Bradley, Moreland.

Anyhow, to respond to your question, I'd love for Eppler to get Rendon or Grandal, but see it as a luxury and don't think it will happen. He really needs to focus on the team's needs, both next year and beyond. That's starting pitching. 

the second half hasn't looked great because Upton has struggled, Ohtani hasn't been hitting for power, Simmons has struggled, La Stella has been hurt and Rengifo, Thaiss are cutting their teeth.  

the catching position is an offensive black hole.  While I'm ok with punting a spot in the lineup for defense, it's only ok if you balance it out in other areas.  

If Albert had decided to go with his current approach his entire time as an Angel, he'd have had a much different career with this team but that's a different discussion.  

Adding Grandal would make our lineup legit.  Even if he wasn't catching, he could DH and play some 1b.  He's an underrated offensive player imo.   I know it's not gonna happen, but it would really balance out the offense tremendously.  

Sign Cole (or one of the other top 3-4 arms), sign Donaldson, trim a lot of fat via non-tenders, maybe one or both of Goodwin and La Stella for some comparably valued pitching, and maybe one of Bedrosian/Robles for some prospects to save some mil, and play the kids everywhere else - re-assess in the offseason, let Simmons walk if need by and sign an arm from next year’s strong SP FA class.

Edited by totdprods

Upton needs to stop running into walls.    Season has been mostly a waste because of it.   That's production that they really need from him in 2020 and beyond, since he has a NTC.  

Because of that NTC, the Halos are stuck between a $72 million rock and a hard place.    Suddenly, the next two Pujols seasons don't seem any less valued than Upton's, unless Upton reverts to at least his 2018 numbers. 

This team needs pitching, pitching and more pitching.  End of story.

Let LaStella and Fletcher play full time at 2B/3B as they both have earned it and are cheap.  The only offense upgrade that the Angels should even consider is Grandal for catching.  That's it.

Otherwise, get pitching.  As much as possible.

We'll need to allocate those funds toward pitching. Look at the Giants run in the post season. Three world series victories in five years, and for the most part, their offense had a couple good guys then a collective group of role players that came up with timely hits.

If your pitching is good enough, that's all you need.

So if there is money left over, and someone solid falls into our lap, then sure. But other than that, wait for Adell and Marsh. They're going to be extremely good. And Rengifo will be even better, as Will Thaiss. And La Stella will be healthy. His performance didn't seem overly fluky to me. He's never done that before but it's not like he was bad before either. Simply put, he was given an everyday shot, the right field fence is short, he elevated the ball and the new baseball flies. It's a perfect storm of production and I don't see any reason why it can't continue. And hopefully Upton will be healthy too.

I like the offensive outlook moving forward. The Angels have very promising bats moving through the system. But not really the arms, beyond Soriano, Rodriguez and Kochanowicz.

I would absolutely love it if we went all in on signing Anthony Rendon (though not at the expense of signing top tier starters).  He’s better than Bryce Harper and has been for awhile, and will get a way smaller contract.  He would fit this team perfectly and give us another big threat in the lineup, and would solve all of our issues with finding a 3B

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Sign Cole (or one of the other top 3-4 arms), sign Donaldson, trim a lot of fat via non-tenders, maybe one or both of Goodwin and La Stella for some comparably valued pitching, and maybe one of Bedrosian/Robles for some prospects to save some mil, and play the kids everywhere else - re-assess in the offseason, let Simmons walk if need by and sign an arm from next year’s strong SP FA class.

Give me a 2021 lineup 

3 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

I would absolutely love it if we went all in on signing Anthony Rendon (though not at the expense of signing top tier starters).  He’s better than Bryce Harper and has been for awhile, and will get a way smaller contract.  He would fit this team perfectly and give us another big threat in the lineup, and would solve all of our issues with finding a 3B

Sign Rendon on a 4 year deal, draft Blaze Jordan, then Jordan will replace the bat in 2024. Thaiss and Ward become moveable