• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Looking back at underrated players

happybat4

13 hours ago, RBM said:

Orlando Cabrera.

Never thought he got the credit he deserved. I was really tuned into this during the three years he played with the Angels. Edgar Renteria was the All Star and on most lists for the best shortstops and OC was relegated to being the "other" SS from Colombia.

Renteria was definitely the better player. OCAB was great when he was here though. 

2 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Cesar Cedeno had 3 straight 20-50 seasons and should have been a superstar but playing on mediocre teams in a crappy hitting stadium like the Astrodome and taking the pounding on his legs from playing on that turf shortened his career, which was still around 50 WAR

I was young but I remember thinking Jose Cruz was a really good player.  Not sure if that’s true but as a kid I remember feeling that way. 

10 minutes ago, Baghdad Strad said:

I was young but I remember thinking Jose Cruz was a really good player.  Not sure if that’s true but as a kid I remember feeling that way. 

Also a 50 WAR guy who would probably be more appreciated today because he didn't have any standout skills but was a consistently good player

On 9/2/2019 at 7:20 PM, wopphil said:

Albert Belle. He was a beast until injuries killed his career at age 33.

I remember being in the stands and Angels fans yelling Jo-ey! when he was in the outfield and at bat. He shut them out and raked us hitting .288/.369/.568/.938 for his career.

Chipper Jones is probably a bit underrated. Yeah, he made the All-Star team several times, but I hardly hear his name mentioned anymore.

When Derek Jeter retired, I used Chipper Jones as an example to prove that Jeter was extremely overrated. A lot of Yankee fans made the argument that Jeter was a legend simply because he played for the same team his entire career, while putting up all-star numbers. I pointed out that Chipper also played his career with the same team, was a Gold Glove infielder, and put up better numbers than Jeter.

Also, Bleacher Report called him the most overrated player in baseball, and since BR is always wrong, he must be underrated. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/132830-chipper-jones-the-most-over-rated-player-in-baseball

Edited by Taylor

41 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Chipper Jones is probably a bit underrated. Yeah, he made the All-Star team several times, but I hardly hear his name mentioned anymore.

When Derek Jeter retired, I used Chipper Jones as an example to prove that Jeter was extremely overrated. A lot of Yankee fans made the argument that Jeter was a legend simply because he played for the same team his entire career, while putting up all-star numbers. I pointed out that Chipper also played his career with the same team, was a Gold Glove infielder, and put up better numbers than Jeter.

Also, Bleacher Report called him the most overrated player in baseball, and since BR is always wrong, he must be underrated. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/132830-chipper-jones-the-most-over-rated-player-in-baseball

They mentioned Chipper's name a lot when they were inducting him into the Hall of Fame

I actually don't know if Jeter is overrated anymore.  Sure he's popular, but I'm not sure who (in the baseball world) thinks of him as one of the all time greats.  With the introduction of the advanced stats over the past 10+ years or so, the baseball community knows that most of his celebrity/star status is a result of playing shortstop for the New York Yankees and winning 5 world series. I'd say he's properly rated

I love this topic as I’ve been a fan of baseball for over 45 years.  Reading it takes me back to when baseball was played on the field, and not on a computer or with sabermetrics.  Names like Bob Horner, Dale Murphy and “sweet” Lou Whitaker are awesome.

A few I can think of are Hal McRae, George Foster, Tim Raines, and Alan Trammell.  I couldn’t tell you what their WAR, OPS, or other measuring tool was, but they were all fun to watch.

Fun thread to follow.