• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Wilson = Not Clutch

....Considering the fact we pay him $15 million per year he looks like a bargain compared to some of the names above.

I'm not excusing his poor performance but I guess what I'm trying to say is it is not quite as bad as it appears....

Some truth to that....but most of those guys have/were pretty dominant pitchers at various times in their careers....CJ was good in Texas but never as good as most of the guys on your list...on the whole as an Angel, he has been mediocre...

I just wish the Grienke trade was never made.    They had to know how much it would take to sign him, and thus it was just about assured that we were trading Segura for a 2 month rental.    Ask the Red Sux and Tigers how that worked out when they traded Bagwell and Smoltz respectively for rentals.

To be BRUTALLY honest, the Halos were not sniffing the WS even with Grienke the moment the trade was made, because the bullpen stunk and 3/5 of the rotation was still sucking (Wilson and his 5.00 post-ASB ERA, Santana, and Haren).

I just wish the Grienke trade was never made.    They had to know how much it would take to sign him, and thus it was just about assured that we were trading Segura for a 2 month rental.    Ask the Red Sux and Tigers how that worked out when they traded Bagwell and Smoltz respectively for rentals.

To be BRUTALLY honest, the Halos were not sniffing the WS even with Grienke the moment the trade was made, because the bullpen stunk and 3/5 of the rotation was still sucking (Wilson and his 5.00 post-ASB ERA, Santana, and Haren).

I generally don't believe trading prospects for elite players or #1-3 pitchers should be done unless it's pretty much a certainty the team will be in the playoffs during the time that player is with the team. Realistically this team has not been constructed to go far in the playoffs since after the '09 season. This is largely due to poor drafting and player development during the Reagins era. 

Upgrading one of your top pitchers (eg obtaining Haren, Greinke) is a huge deal in a short playoff series, that's why those kinds of trades are so expensive in terms of talent. Both trades at the time were fair, but stupidly timed on the part of the Angles (clearing the shelves of a thin system to help out in the playoffs we didn't make). Ironically in the case of the Dan Haren trade, the DBacks actually did make the playoffs in 2011 and could have made the WS had they retained Dan Haren.

I agree an argument could be made that adding Greinke certainly didn't bring us "close enough" to securing a berth in the playoffs and, as it turned out, it didn't even give us the extra punch we needed at the time. The counter to this argument, of course, is that you have to take risks and go for it and that is what Dipoto did. The energy was good on the offensive side at that time with Trout banging the ball and I don't think you can overly fault the FO for trying but I get the gist of what you are getting at AO.

at the time CJ was signed, there was every reason to believe that his first three year would result in a low to mid 3's era, 200ip per season which is good enough to be a #3 and fringe #2 for 1-2 of those.  Last year's numbers came close to that overall.

When you watch him pitch you don't get that impression, but his overall numbers are not way off from that and a strong showing from this point on will net him numbers where he needs to be.

His performances can be misleading because it's not overly pretty, but I still have faith that he'll end up where he needs to be. 

He is what he is, and that is not Jered Weaver even though the contracts are similar.  Again, just don't watch him pitch.