• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout says he was ‘shocked’ to learn cause of Tyler Skaggs’ death

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — Nearly two months after the pain of Tyler Skaggs’ death, Mike Trout felt the pain again of learning how it happened.

A day after the news broke that a Texas medical examiner determined that Skaggs died because of a mixture of opioids and alcohol, Trout reacted to the revelation on Saturday.

“I was kind of shocked when the news came out like that,” Trout said. “That’s tough, but it doesn’t change the feeling I have for him and the way it impacted my life.”

Skaggs was found to have fentanyl and oxycodone in his blood, along with an alcohol level 50 percent higher than the limit to determine impairment.

Trout said he had no idea that Skaggs was having any kind of issues that could have led to him using those drugs.

“Obviously, if I knew I would have definitely said something or done something,” said Trout, who was Skaggs’ close friend since the two were drafted together in 2009. “It’s tough. You love Tyler. We didn’t know he was going through this. Just a tough situation when this came out. Tough to put your mind to it.”

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room on July 1, just before the Angels were to open a series against the Texas Rangers. Police determined at the time that it was not foul play or suicide.

Trout and the rest of the Angels had spent nearly two months grieving, and Friday’s news brought back tough memories.

“Every time you talk about anything Tyler has done, or did, it definitely reopens it,” Trout said. “We’re always thinking about him. It’s been a tough year for us emotionally, and obviously mentally. Anytime this pops up or anything related to Tyler, it’s going to open that wound.”

Southlake, Texas, police and Major League Baseball are still investigating the case. Skaggs’ family said in a statement that they believe an Angels employee had a part in the tragedy.

“That was a shock to me,” Trout said. “I knew nothing about it. It’s disappointing, but I don’t know anything about that.”

BEDROSIAN TO IL

Cam Bedrosian was placed on the injured list on Saturday because of a right forearm strain. Bedrosian, who had Tommy John surgery while he was in the minors, said he underwent an MRI exam on Saturday that showed no damage to his ligament.

“It doesn’t feel like the same thing,” Bedrosian said. “It feels different, a different spot. I’m not worried about it.”

Bedrosian said going on the injured list was a precaution, and he expects to be shut down for five or six days. He said he expects to pitch again in September.

The Angels recalled José Rodriguez to take Bedrosian’s spot on the 25-man roster.

ALSO

A day after playing all 15 innings and collecting four hits in the Angels’ 7-6 loss to the Boston Red Sox, Albert Pujols was back in the lineup at first base. Ausmus said Pujols assured him that “his legs feel good.”…

Justin Anderson, who is out with a right upper trap strain, threw off the front slope of the mound on Friday. He is scheduled to throw from the top of the mound on Sunday…

Tommy La Stella is hitting in the cage and throwing, and it’s possible that he will join the Angels for workouts during their week-long trip starting on Tuesday, Ausmus said. La Stella is expected to be playing within two weeks.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Andrew Heaney, 3-3, 3.95) vs. Red Sox (LHP David Price, 7-5, 4.36), 1:07 p.m., Fox Sports West

View the full article

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe Trout didn't know and wasn't participating in any late night partying, but Heaney? 

Before Skaggs death: 36.2 IP, 15 walks, 44 Ks, 5.40 ERA

After Skaggs death: 34 IP, 8 walks, 44 Ks, 2.38 ERA

Who knows, but that's quite a difference. 

Knowing Heaney's personality, family and faith, I'd be about as surprised as I would be if Trout was guilty of it. 

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe Trout didn't know and wasn't participating in any late night partying, but Heaney? 

Before Skaggs death: 36.2 IP, 15 walks, 44 Ks, 5.40 ERA

After Skaggs death: 34 IP, 8 walks, 44 Ks, 2.38 ERA

Who knows, but that's quite a difference. 

Not one of your better takes AJ.

4 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Not one of your better takes AJ.

What exactly is my take? I don't really have one. I was curious about Heaney's numbers so I looked them up and posted them. Should I not have posted them? I found it noteworthy that he has been a much better pitcher since Skaggs' death...that may indicate a sobering up (which I speculated on), or maybe he's inspired, or maybe he's just healthier and more focused. I don't know. A "take" implies a perspective or opinion, which I don't really have.

5 hours ago, TroutField said:

This site is toxic right now.. I’ve never seen it this bad. 

Blaming heaney for being involved because he has pitched better since Skaggs died, what the

f u c k .....

I agree that there's a lot of toxicity going around, but this is just false. I am NOT blaming Heaney or anyone - not even Skaggs. Blame is a stupid game (including your blame here), especially when you consider that none of us know what was behind Skaggs' drug use - whether it was partying gone too far, or if he had a real addiction issue. Addiction is complex. Partying and overdoses happen. To try to find someone to blame is just scapegoating and oversimplifying a complex network of factors.

Please don't read stuff that isn't there, just to fuel your self-righteousness.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

What exactly is my take? I don't really have one. I was curious about Heaney's numbers so I looked them up and posted them. Should I not have posted them? I found it noteworthy that he has been a much better pitcher since Skaggs' death...that may indicate a sobering up (which I speculated on), or maybe he's inspired, or maybe he's just healthier and more focused. I don't know. A "take" implies a perspective or opinion, which I don't really have.

I agree that there's a lot of toxicity going around, but this is just false. I am NOT blaming Heaney or anyone - not even Skaggs. Blame is a stupid game (including your blame here), especially when you consider that none of us know what was behind Skaggs' drug use - whether it was partying gone too far, or if he had a real addiction issue. Addiction is complex. Partying and overdoses happen. To try to find someone to blame is just scapegoating and oversimplifying a complex network of factors.

Please don't read stuff that isn't there, just to fuel your self-righteousness.

Backpedal all you want and throw the “self righteousness” part to make yourself feel better about making baseless absurd assumptions. 

Totally uncalled for, how is this cool on your website @Chuckster70

5 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Backpedal all you want and throw the “self righteousness” part to make yourself feel better about making baseless absurd assumptions. 

Oh quit calling mom. This is a message board, people have different opinions,  and sometimes those opinions are a little uncomfortable. 

37 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Because it is a discussion of a topic. That's what the purpose of this website has been for the last 15 years. What is uncalled for is your reactions. 

6 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Lol

If Skaggs name came up among friends, and others the last two months, pretty much every person I talked to (correctly) guessed what happened.

But Trout and Ausmus are shocked, SHOCKED at the news.

The only sheeple who believe it reside at angelswin.com. 

This is stupid. Did you expect Trout to say "yeah, we all knew he liked to party and we're not surprised" or something similar?

Come on, man.

As far as Heaney goes he was fighting his own personal demons with injuries and pain as was outlined in a OCR article back in April. If you read it again you can probably understand better why this has hit him so hard.

As far as anyone knowing where any individual players is at dealing with pain this is a telling quote.

“Some guys talk about it, some guys don’t,” Heaney said. “You don’t go around the locker room, like ‘Hey, who’s in a really (messed)-up place right now? Come talk to me.’ You don’t do that.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/04/05/angels-andrew-heaney-opens-up-about-mental-emotional-toll-of-injuries/

15 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

Southlake, Texas, police and Major League Baseball are still investigating the case. Skaggs’ family said in a statement that they believe an Angels employee had a part in the tragedy.

“That was a shock to me,” Trout said. “I knew nothing about it. It’s disappointing, but I don’t know anything about that.”

Seems odd that the police haven't interviewed at least some of the players, so there would be no reason to be "shocked."