• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

LAT: Details of Tyler Skaggs’ death could trigger legal battle with millions at stake

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And when he punks people on here....  

When I think of Jeff I imagine this:

I’m currently right around that myself.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

No one goes from casual drinker to downing a six pack and popping pills over night. Skaggs made his decision and unfortunately it turned into a worst case scenario. I’m guessing he didn’t know about the fentanyl but neither did whoever helped him get the pills. It’s sad but not surprising that the reaction of people is to sue or place blame elsewhere.  There’s no winners in this and it won’t make things any better or easier. 

The patch and pin people had a banner year.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

There's a lot I'm wondering about...

1. Where did the Skaggs family get wind that Tyler had obtained the drugs from an Angels organization member? ---I'm guessing he told them himself. 

2. Did the family know that Skaggs was using before the incident? ---I'm guessing yes, they knew, and they said and did nothing about it. 

3. I'm not sure how lucrative of a payday we are talking about here.  The Article says he'd hit free agency at age 29, an unusually young age, and that right there is where I call BS.  It's not unusual AT ALL for a 29 year old veteran starting pitcher to hit free agency.  To top it off, Skaggs' performance was disappointing this year.  If he pitched like that again next year before stepping into free agency then what sort fo contract would he have been looking at?  Maybe 2 years and 20 million?  And if he had managed to pitch like an ace finally in his final year?  He may have got what Eovaldi did in free agency. ---My guess is he probably would've got a Lance Lynn level contract, not 150 million like his friend Pat Corbin got. 

4. Does the family really want to sever their current relationship with the Angels organization over money when it was Skaggs himself that was stupid enough to be ingesting this combination of drugs and alcohol like a common junkie? --- Like Mulwin said, I'm guessing there's some sort of settlement coming.  So that the Angels don't become more financially liable and have a very public legal battle on their hands from the family of a dead teammate and so that Tyler's name isn't dragged in the mud here.  

perfectly stated. So many questions that haven't been answered.

It's really hard to speculate until we know who or IF there is an Angel employee involved.  One thing is the truth always comes out.  You would think his wife would know if he was taking pain pills even if it was just for a period of time after surgery.  But fentanyl is not something typically prescribed so something nefarious went down. Still Tyler is a smart guy and would know the risks. 

This can get terribly ugly and hostile if it hits the courts.

If the Angels attorneys play hardball, the Skaggs family will be open to all kinds of personal exposure. Motive will be explored, financial arrangements, lifestyle habits and so on. 

The family lead attorney is already known as an aggressive operator. He will pry into all sorts of sensitive areas of team and organizational  personnel. Including team mates and their off field behavior. 

Terrible PR for the team and family alike. 

I expect a settlement. The organization just wants to end this in benign a way as possible and move on without having to rip into the family. But if the family are outrageously greedy then they may bite off more than they can chew and ruin any good will the public has felt.

Aitken said investigators also would consider whether Skaggs obtained the drugs from a legitimate prescriber, then continue up the supply chain to the pharmacist and manufacturer.

I fail to see the point in this (aside from the legitimacy of the prescriber). Both of the drugs in question have legitimate medical uses, and both are dispensed with warnings not to use them in excess or in combination with a similar drug or alcohol. Any pharmacist would presumably have only filled a legitimate prescription, and the manufacturer(s) include warnings with the medications. Potential liability might exist if the ordering physician is a "pill mill" doctor, perhaps even dispensing the medications himself/herself, like the pain clinics that  dispense opioid pain relievers without a qualifying medical diagnosis.

6 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

No one goes from casual drinker to downing a six pack and popping pills over night. Skaggs made his decision and unfortunately it turned into a worst case scenario. I’m guessing he didn’t know about the fentanyl but neither did whoever helped him get the pills. It’s sad but not surprising that the reaction of people is to sue or place blame elsewhere.  There’s no winners in this and it won’t make things any better or easier. 

6 hours ago, Baghdad Strad said:

So, you actually think 7 beers is a lot of beers?  

Yeah so wait downing a six pack isn't considered casual drinking???

I hate to see the organization settle with the family if there was no culpability...We don't necessarily know that yet.

But if it goes to court and Angel lawyers have to get down and dirty regarding the family how is this going to look to Trout, Heaney and the rest of the team.

I'm  thinking not good...Skaggs was their friend

5 hours ago, Baghdad Strad said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say he and the team were out drinking and then when he got back to the room that is where the drugs came in, but then again I could be totally naive. 

I didn't think of that. But I would've thought if he was out with friends the night before, that would've been reported.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I didn't think of that. But I would've thought if he was out with friends the night before, that would've been reported.

I don’t know all the terminology but I thought I read that the drug hadn’t gotten into the blood stream because he died before that happened. 

Also, I mentioned this earlier and I think it’s important for everyone to understand this thinking Mrs. Skaggs is going to get many millions of dollars.  But generally, work injuries and workplace deaths are under the “exclusive jurisdiction” of the workers compensation system.  

What that means is, for example, Strad burns his hand on the grill because a fellow INO employee bumps into him and his hand hits the grill to steady himself and he’s now burned.  His “exclusive remedy” is to seek workers compensation benefits.  He can’t sue INO for hiring a dummy who keeps bumping into people.  If the dummy worked for another company that was fixing the grill, than he could sue that company, but as an employee of INO, he’s stuck with workers compensation.  Which, I alluded to earlier, aren’t ideal.  This is the same for all of us who work in CA.

Generally, workplace deaths follow the same rules.  Absent extenuating circumstances, Widow Skaggs is left with workers compensation death benefits (capped at about 300K).

Widow Skaggs’ lawyer may know more than us.  Since he died in Texas, the laws may be different there but generally the more Republican a state is, the worse for injured workers and their families, so I doubt the Texas system is more favorable than the CA system.  They also may get into the federal system, since it happened in Texas to a CA resident employed by a CA corporation.  I can’t see how it would stay in Texas.

And finally, as the medical examiner has now determined it was his intoxication that caused his death, that could even preclude the crappy workers compensation death benefits.