• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Tyler Skaggs died of fentanyl, oxycodone, alcohol mixture, coroner says

Tyler Skaggs’ death was caused by a mixture of opioids and alcohol, and ruled an accident, according to findings of the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s office, and the Skaggs family issued a statement suggesting someone with the Angels may have been connected to the tragedy.

The report, which was released Friday, indicated Skaggs was found with powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system, as well as alcohol.

Skaggs’ family released as statement after the release of the news, and hired an attorney, Rusty Hardin, to assist.

“We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol,” the statement read. “That is completely out of character for someone who worked so hard to become a Major League baseball player and had a very promising future in the game he loved so much.

“We are grateful for the work of the detectives in the Southlake Police Department and their ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding Tyler’s death. We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels. We will not rest until we learn the truth about how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them. To that end, we have hired Texas attorney Rusty Hardin to assist us.”

A message left for Hardin was not immediately returned.

Skaggs, who was 27, was found dead in his hotel room in Southlake, Texas, on July 1, the day the Angels were set to begin a series against the Texas Rangers.

A spokesman from the Southlake Police Department said Friday that the case was still open, and no further information could be released.

View the full article

I don't want this thread to get locked.

He was a great guy, and this was a tragedy, and we're all human, and nobody is perfect, and he might have been medicating injuries, and let's do another tribute, and make a patch, and if you have sipped a Bud Light, who are you to judge?

Just now, Blarg said:

These threads should stay open. This is a baseball discussion board and it is a national topic. If any more feel they can't participate then don't but let the members discuss within reasonable constraints that are employee in all baseball discussion.

this is fine.  it was getting unreasonable and I don't have time to every post.  Keep it reasonable and I won't lock it.  

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

I don't want this thread to get locked.

He was a great guy, and this was a tragedy, and we're all human, and nobody is perfect, and he might have been medicating injuries, and let's do another tribute, and make a patch, and if you have sipped a Bud Light, who are you to judge?

you may have noticed that I didn't delete your posts.  I didn't lock the other thread just because of an expression of opinion.  

@Biergott

Grand slam of a post.    

I was a kid when Len Bias did his thing, reading about it in SI, well... it was enough to scare me off stuff.   I've gone my entire life without trying any of that, it's just not me but I've been reckless/stupid in other ways.  I'm not in the position to judge.

Like you, I don't think the confirmation of what happened makes it any different for those that loved him.  The whole thing just sucks.

Thank you for sharing

If this thread were locked we'd miss @Biergott post which says more than probably anything you are going to hear in the media. Opiods are epidemic but some understand their danger and live responsibly even with a daily pain level no one wants to deal with. Others get lost on their advantages and don't want to live without the numbing. Pain is a persuasive ruler, it doesn't take much to make people bend to avoid it if it is unrelenting. 

I've now seen the reports conflicting between the actual type of drugs.  OC Register says Oxycodone (which would be OxyContin) and CNN says Oxymorphone (which would be Opana ER) AND oxycodone.  Opana ER is an extended release drug and is generally much stronger than the OxyContin.  I believe they also have stopped production of it, so most likely that would not be from a doc at this point either.    Wonder which is true?  Or maybe they both show up the same on a toxicology report?  I'm not expert on abuse either, but I though I read that extended release drugs aren't preferred by abusers because you have to break them down or cook them up in order to get the quick high.  And they typically have additives like bitterants to prevent this.

Any phrama/chem experts?

Edited by Biergott
CNN updated their story