• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billions of Taxpayer Dollars

Billions of Taxpayer Dollars  

17 members have voted

1. 1. If the federal government is going to take billions of dollars from taxpayers, which expensive initiative would be the most beneficial for our society?

• The border wall
    • Free college
    • Fighting against climate change
    • Medicare for all

10 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

Sure, but it was in Georgia, so it automatically changed it to Brian Kemp. 

Sad thing is, touch screen.  That is so easy to do.  Especially since you are dealing with the elderly, that can't comprehend that you don't have to put 2 tons of pressure on the screen to make your choice.  

• 2 weeks later...

College should be affordable but not literally free.

Instead of a wall,  END THE DRUG WAR!  Newsflash, not all of them come through I-5.  Air and sea are how they get through but it doesn’t fit the 2+2=5 narrative of MAGAsplaining.  Anyone who saw American Made with Tom Cruise should know this.

23 hours ago, cysomeawfulpitcher said:

College should be affordable but not literally free.

Instead of a wall,  END THE DRUG WAR!  Newsflash, not all of them come through I-5.  Air and sea are how they get through but it doesn’t fit the 2+2=5 narrative of MAGAsplaining.  Anyone who saw American Made with Tom Cruise should know this.

Every time I see your avatar I can't get Phil Collins out of my head.

One thing that has not been mentioned about free college for all is that it cheapens the value of a college degree. If everyone has one, there won't be enough jobs that require degrees to hire all of the graduates, and they will wind up in jobs that don't require one. There will also always be those who pursue degrees that don't translate well to the job market. A college buddy of mine got a master's in Oriental history, and he was in management at Starbucks last that I heard.

I have a "liberal arts" degree (journalism). Without it, I wouldn't be able to have my current job or be hired for jobs that I'll want in the future.

My wife has a "liberal arts" degree (education). Without it, she wouldn't be able to achieve her goal of becoming a school counselor. 

I think you kids are confusing liberal arts with politically liberal topics.

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I have a "liberal arts" degree (journalism). Without it, I wouldn't be able to have my current job or be hired for jobs that I'll want in the future.

My wife has a "liberal arts" degree (education). Without it, she wouldn't be able to achieve her goal of becoming a school counselor. 

I think you kids are confusing liberal arts with politically liberal topics.

Sounds gay.

5 hours ago, Adam said:

Oriental History?

Was Chinaman Studies a separate option?

Apparently so. I wasn't aware that such a degree even existed at my university until Dennis showed me his diploma. He was very proud of it, but he didn't have a response when I asked him what he was going to do with it.

There are obviously some degree fields that exist only to keep the associated faculty employed, because they certainly don't lead to high paying jobs - or any jobs, really. If I were going to plunk down the cash and invest the time to pursue a master's degree, I would certainly want for there to be some return involved.

19 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Apparently so. I wasn't aware that such a degree even existed at my university until Dennis showed me his diploma. He was very proud of it, but he didn't have a response when I asked him what he was going to do with it.

There are obviously some degree fields that exist only to keep the associated faculty employed, because they certainly don't lead to high paying jobs - or any jobs, really. If I were going to plunk down the cash and invest the time to pursue a master's degree, I would certainly want for there to be some return involved.

As a history major I took a few Chinese history courses. My professor was an Uber rich white dude with a PhD in Chinese History and made his millions as a liaison between Nabisco and Chinese partners. Can’t imagine there’s too many of those gigs out there but good for him.

There’s obviously some overlap between job or career training and higher education in general but how much is determined by the career choice. My oldest daughter did med school but the middle one is planning on a 2 year degree then wants to be a flight attendant for awhile and figure out her next pursuit along the way. I fully support both but I’m glad this one will be much cheaper for me 

6 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

One thing that has not been mentioned about free college for all is that it cheapens the value of a college degree. If everyone has one, there won't be enough jobs that require degrees to hire all of the graduates, and they will wind up in jobs that don't require one. There will also always be those who pursue degrees that don't translate well to the job market. A college buddy of mine got a master's in Oriental history, and he was in management at Starbucks last that I heard.

If everyone gets a college degree, what’s that going to do to the price of a graduate degree? Through the roof, I’d imagine.

and if everyone has a BS/BA, it means better paying jobs will almost assuredly require a graduate degree, a trend that’s already started in several fields.

we need more trade & tech schools, and we need to emphasize that those kinds of jobs are just as important.