• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels, city start lease negotiations

And the cost of close to $1B... 

Buy that warehouse that sits on the corner of Orangewood and State College and tear it down.  Put a new stadium on the corner there while still using the current stadium to play the games.  Once it's built, tear down the old stadium and use the rest of the parking lot and site of the old stadium to put in a parking garage, restaurants, retail stores, etc.  Turn it into a whole entertainment district that can be used year around.

Disagree. A new stadium would mean you're more likely to keep the numbers you're already drawing. Of course the product on the field would remain paramount. Eventually you're going to need a new stadium, whether you draw more or not.

How do you figure? 

If they're going to remodel, they need a new scoreboard like I already mentioned.  During day games, the current scoreboard is pretty bad.  They could fit a nice HD screen up there with all the space available on the current scoreboard.  Also, get rid of the green seats.  A large number of the seats still have Edison's logo on them.  I'm sure any remodel would also eliminate the rock pile.  I thought there were rumors about them taking it out years back to build a multi-story restaurant?

Marlins park was $515m and the proposed park for San Jose is $500m. But those only hold 37K seats. So a new park would run closer to $700m for 45K fans. Then add to any costs for upgrading the surrounding area. I don't see that happening being in Anaheim (even if Arte agrees to rename the team Anaheim Angels).

I'd take out the RF Pavillion portion of the stadium and build a multi-story brick facade building there with seating in front. The building could house an expanded kids venue with non-game business hours as well as several field view food venues also open during non-game business hours. As one suggestion.... 

I'm sure any remodel would also eliminate the rock pile.  I thought there were rumors about them taking it out years back to build a multi-story restaurant?

Heard that too. But keep in mind the Disney remodel was made rather quickly. I'm sure a lot of changes were for cosmetic reasons only, like the rock pile. To build a facility out there may need costly restructuring which would be a sunk cost with the lease due in 2016.

i think a new stadium is in order. i don't really like the big A to be honest. i hate the helmets and i think the rocks are stupid. my biggest complaints are the seats don't point toward homeplate and the concourses are hidden.

the seat thing is a major bummer, when you go to a new park you'll realize how much better it is.

Even the Disney remodel is archaic. Their cartoonish design of oversized helmets and thunder mountain-ish themes was dumb, even at the time. An attempt at turning a ballpark into an amusement park.

What else can you do to the surrounding area that you haven't already? You've got the Grove; at least they kept The Catch local; and don't forget the key to the integrity, the Hooters. The stadium's nearly 50 years old, quit trying to dress up a relic. My personal favorite is the one everyone hated, the Rams/Angels hybrid, only because that's where I grew up watching baseball.

So I only have two requests:

1. Go back to the California Angels.

2. Bring back the red seats and dump those god-awful stupid green things. Would fit in the team color, anyway.

The stadium is ok and I can see how some fans would say there's nothing wrong with it, especially if they haven't been to many other places.   Hasn't Tim Mead said that many of the problems aren't obvious?  A lot of renovation ideas may be more difficult than it seems.   

I'm not going to pretend to know what the options are, but I'm hoping for a new park nearby... even at the current location.  There are so many things Angel Stadium lacks compared to newer parks.

I like to get up at times, but still watch the game. It would be nice to have better areas to walk around other than the dark Terrace concourse and outfield concourses that are 500+ feet away from home plate. Heck, most new stadiums have an area where you can walk around and hang out upstairs. They even have tables to put food/drink.   Sight lines could be significantly better, especially down the lines.  The home plate entrance is goofy.  So are the rocks in CF.    The outfield could use some seats that are closer to the action.  They did that well in KC.  There are numerous other things that may seem small, but would add to the experience.  

Curious if Arte would rather renovate and stay in Anaheim or move to get a new stadium.

The problem is finding a city willing to build one, or pony up a significant portion of the cash to do it. I doubt that Moreno would pay for a new stadium himself, and with city budgets being what they are, getting anywhere to pony up is going to be hard. The Athletics have run into all kind of roadblocks trying to get one built, and the Oakland Coliseum is in far worse shape than the Angels park.

The group in Las Vegas is going to have a tough enough time raising the revenue they need to replace the park for the 51s, and we're talking about less than ten percent of what it would cost to build a state-of-the-art MLB stadium.