Seriously, agree with people who have posted that he would be in trouble right now if he was running the show for another team, like the Yankees. Then again, the Angels fan base is soft. Letting the opposing team's fan base cheer louder at Angel Stadium. Not saying all Angel fans are soft but overall, this fan base sure isn't exactly tough on the guy who is making the moves. 

3 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Seriously, agree with people who have posted that he would be in trouble right now if he was running the show for another team, like the Yankees. Then again, the Angels fan base is soft. Letting the opposing team's fan base cheer louder at Angel Stadium. Not saying all Angel fans are soft but overall, this fan base sure isn't exactly tough on the guy who is making the moves. 

your act is old. it's been played countless times by people much better at it 

just go away.

9 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Someone should let Eppler know that his job with the Angels is a cake walk compared to working with the Yankees.  Eppler would have never made it in the Yankee front office because of this ineptitude.  Everyone knows Cashman has never made so many bad signings or trades.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2016/10/21/13354772/yankees-trade-history-brian-cashman-vazquez-weaver-lowell-clippard-melancon

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2017/2/5/14465632/yankees-history-brian-cashman-stephen-drew-youkilis-contract

12 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

The time has come to officially shitcan this guy. The pen is atrocious and they couldn’t pitch their way out of an AW softball game. The buck stops with him. Time to GTFO. 

Agreed.  Appreciate what he did for the prospect pool but this was his 5th season to prove he could get the major league team to the next level and he just isn’t getting it done.  That’s long enough of a leash.

Way too early to tell this year, but you do have to wonder why we're on our third manager under Eppler, have the best player in the game, and are still not having much success, especially with two of those managers being highly regarded. 

3 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Way too early to tell this year, but you do have to wonder why we're on our third manager under Eppler, have the best player in the game, and are still not having much success, especially with two of those managers being highly regarded. 

That is a pretty easy one.  Scioscia’s contract was up, not renewed and then he screwed up by hiring Ausmus.  Then when Joe became available Arte made the move.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That is a pretty easy one.  Scioscia’s contract was up, not renewed and then he screwed up by hiring Ausmus.  Then when Joe became available Arte made the move.  

Let's not besmirch Nostradausmus. I'd like to think he's gone only because JMad was available.

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He’s not questioning why we’ve had so many managers, he’s questioning why we haven’t been winning. 

12 hours ago, Lhalo said:

The time has come to officially shitcan this guy. The pen is atrocious and they couldn’t pitch their way out of an AW softball game. The buck stops with him. Time to GTFO. 

Hey that AW lineup is as good as it gets. Except for that old geezer 2nd baseman who tore his hamstring.

I appear to be in the minority.  You will regret the firing of Eppler--especially if Dombrowski is hired, as has been rumored.  Dombrowski destroys farm systems. 

Eppler has made some mistakes.  All GMs do.  Bill Stoneman made mistakes, but he also signed/drafted the team that won the World series. 

I thought the Ausmus hiring was uninspired.  I said so at the time (as did many others).  Cozart was a huge mistake (obviously).  Eppler rebulit the farm system.  That's huge.  Eppler was responsible for the Ohtani signing.  Trout said one of the primary reasons he signed his extension was because he bought into Eppler's long-term vision.  The trade/signings of Simmons, Goodwin, Castro, Rendon, Bundy, Buttrey, Canning, Robles, and Rengifo were all positive. 

If he does get let go, the next GM will inherit one of the best and youngest outfields in baseball next year with Trout and Adell.  The new GM will probably inherit one of the better and youngest infields as well with Thaiss at first, Rengifo at second, Fletcher at short, Rendon at third and an unknown at this point at catcher. 

We will have gone from one of of the oldest teams to one of the youngest teams under Eppler.  With that all set, Eppler will be able to focus on starting pitching.  We have 2 young pitchers in Ohtani and Canning.  I like the Bundy signing.  Most baseball people agree Bundy needed a change of scenery.  You guys are so negative.  

We are not even two weeks into the season.  We have played 8 games.  In that time, Rendon missed 4 of the 8 and Trout's missed 2.  I know it's a shortened season, but geez, you can't make decisions based on 8 games.  I am optimistic that the Mariners  will  be a non-contender and I believe Houston over the 60 day season will feel the loss of both Verlander and Cole.  It's hard to replace those 35 wins and lose what was probably the best one and two in all of baseball.  Not only that, the needle is going in the wrong direction for the Astros.  Verlander will be a year older next year as will Grienke, they have no draft choices next year, they lost the GM that built their team and they will have to trade some of their key players over the next year due to payroll constraints.  Oakland being a small market team can never afford to keep their stars. So you know that they will likely lose their shortstop and another of their top players over the off season.

God help us if Moreno signs Dave Dombrowski as GM and partners with Tony Larussa.  The Diamondbacks had enough of Larussa after a few years.    

Go Angels.

33 minutes ago, instant karma said:

I appear to be in the minority.  You will regret the firing of Eppler--especially if Dombrowski is hired, as has been rumored.  Dombrowski destroys farm systems. 

Eppler has made some mistakes.  All GMs do.  Bill Stoneman made mistakes, but he also signed/drafted the team that won the World series. 

I thought the Ausmus hiring was uninspired.  I said so at the time (as did many others).  Cozart was a huge mistake (obviously).  Eppler rebulit the farm system.  That's huge.  Eppler was responsible for the Ohtani signing.  Trout said one of the primary reasons he signed his extension was because he bought into Eppler's long-term vision.  The trade/signings of Simmons, Goodwin, Castro, Rendon, Bundy, Buttrey, Canning, Robles, and Rengifo were all positive. 

If he does get let go, the next GM will inherit one of the best and youngest outfields in baseball next year with Trout and Adell.  The new GM will probably inherit one of the better and youngest infields as well with Thaiss at first, Rengifo at second, Fletcher at short, Rendon at third and an unknown at this point at catcher. 

We will have gone from one of of the oldest teams to one of the youngest teams under Eppler.  With that all set, Eppler will be able to focus on starting pitching.  We have 2 young pitchers in Ohtani and Canning.  I like the Bundy signing.  Most baseball people agree Bundy needed a change of scenery.  You guys are so negative.  

We are not even two weeks into the season.  We have played 8 games.  In that time, Rendon missed 4 of the 8 and Trout's missed 2.  I know it's a shortened season, but geez, you can't make decisions based on 8 games.  I am optimistic that the Mariners  will  be a non-contender and I believe Houston over the 60 day season will feel the loss of both Verlander and Cole.  It's hard to replace those 35 wins and lose what was probably the best one and two in all of baseball.  Not only that, the needle is going in the wrong direction for the Astros.  Verlander will be a year older next year as will Grienke, they have no draft choices next year, they lost the GM that built their team and they will have to trade some of their key players over the next year due to payroll constraints.  Oakland being a small market team can never afford to keep their stars. So you know that they will likely lose their shortstop and another of their top players over the off season.

God help us if Moreno signs Dave Dombrowski as GM and partners with Tony Larussa.  The Diamondbacks had enough of Larussa after a few years.    

Go Angels.

I don't think you're in the minority.  I think most Angels fans still really like Eppler.

4 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I don't think you're in the minority.  I think most Angels fans still really like Eppler.

I think fans here like him for the most part.  FB and Twitter hate him.  But then again they hate everyone.  I like him, but they have to figure out the pitching side of things.  Someone here said one of the GMs primary responsibilities is protecting the owner from themselves and while I think Eppler does a better job than Dipoto did at that, I would like to see him be able to convince Arte to spend money on the pitching side, even if it isn’t for an ace.  

Posted (edited)

Given what he walked into, I am willing to give him a wide berth in terms of fixing things. If he is fired, then what? Another Reagins or Dipoto?

We have another year of Pujols sucking the life out of payroll, then we will see.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Posted (edited)

Maybe he should get 2021, as this season was a lost cause.   But, he has to do a MUCH BETTER job of building a bullpen.

Bullpens are waaaay too critical today, thanks to starters not going as deep into games, to be doing it on the cheap.

That doesn't mean acquiring fading star relievers.   It means doing a better job of scouting relievers.

To be sure, I don't want a Dombrowski coming here, and rinsing and repeating Dumbpoto's stratergy.     

Edited by Angel Oracle